Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Senate Dems try to stop voter ID

Senator returns, vows to block voter ID bill
    For now, Senate Democrats have votes needed to block measure

By Kelley Shannon
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

Friday, May 04, 2007

A clash between Democrats and Republicans over what forms of identification Texans must show to cast a ballot is heading toward a Senate showdown, and an ailing Democrat appears to hold the pivotal vote.

Sen. Mario Gallegos Jr. of Houston, who's been away from the Capitol most of the legislative session after a liver transplant, showed up in the Senate on Thursday to join a bloc of Democrats opposing the voter ID bill.

Under Senate rules, two-thirds of the chamber, or 21 senators, must agree to bring a bill up for debate. With Gallegos present, the 11 Democrats have enough power to block it.

"We're 11 strong in unity," Gallegos said Thursday. He said he planned to be there every day for the rest of the session to help stop the bill. The five-month session ends May 28.

Gallegos said he feels up to being at the Senate for the rest of the month.

"Is it easy? No. No, I'm not going to lie to you," he said. "I feel OK. I'm not a hundred percent, so I've got to take my medicine."

Republican Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, the Senate's presiding officer, had warned that he might call the voter bill up for debate as soon as Thursday and gave Gallegos a 24-hour warning, as he'd requested. The proposal never came up Thursday.

The House already passed the measure, which would require voters to show photo identification or two other forms of identification at the polling place. Existing law requires a voter to show only a voter registration card. If he or she doesn't have the registration card, another form of identification must be shown so the person's name can be matched to voting rolls.

Supporters say the proposal is intended to prevent noncitizens and other ineligible residents from casting ballots.

Dewhurst said he'll take his first opportunity to pass the bill.

He said that the identification requirement is not a burden and that people must show photo IDs to board a plane, rent a car or buy some types of cold medicine.

Overwhelmingly, Democrats and Republicans believe only citizens should vote in Texas elections, Dewhurst said.

Opponents say minorities and the elderly would be hindered by the bill because they are less likely to have the required ID. Gallegos said he considers the proposal similar to poll taxes and other rules that once were obstacles to voting.

Gallegos said he thinks the bill is a tool being used by Republicans to suppress votes.

"You just don't do that," he said.

"When a bill is introduced, I like to look at it and go, 'What's the purpose? Are you going to help my constituents?'
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Opponents say minorities and the elderly would be hindered by the bill because they are less likely to have the required ID. Gallegos said he considers the proposal similar to poll taxes and other rules that once were obstacles to voting.
    Wrong!!!!!! I've been in such a polling place that this is not true. Most voters don't even have their voters registration card and they use their ID.

Gallegos is playing a game. Must be all those residing in the cemetery that he wants to continue to vote.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mario Gallegos, JR

Telephone
    512-463-0106

Fax
    512-463-0346

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senat ... 6.htm#form

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Supporters say the proposal is intended to prevent noncitizens and other ineligible residents from casting ballots.
    The key word here is noncitizens. The democrats want to enable as many illegal aliens to vote as possible. They pulled this crap in Los Angeles and you can all see what we wound up with as our mayor.....the Latino Racist Poster Boy
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Vote early, vote often