Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX - In-state tuition for illegal immigrants challenged

In-state tuition for illegal immigrants challenged
    by Associated Press

Posted on December 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Updated today at 11:23 AM

HOUSTON -- A Texas law that allows illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates at colleges and universities is facing a legal challenge.

David A. Rogers with the Immigration Reform Coalition of Texas says the lawsuit filed in Houston alleges the state is violating federal law and seeks an injunction to halt the practice.

The lawsuit, filed Monday, names the University of Houston, Houston Community College and Lone Star College systems.

A spokesman for UH declined comment Tuesday. HCC officials say their attorneys were reviewing the lawsuit. A Lone Star spokesman declined comment.

UH law professor Michael A. Olivas, who helped draft the Texas statue, says federal law allows states to pass their own legislation regarding in-state residency for undocumented students.

In-state tuition is generally cheaper than fees for out-of-state residents.

http://www.khou.com/news/In-state-tuiti ... 20342.html

I believe the federal law says that states may give in-state tuition to illegals, but then are required to give in-state tuition to all. I'll have to do some research to find the reference.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If only more people knew that illegals not only get in-state tuition rates but also get in-state financial assistance.

I wish some group would do the same thing here in NY.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am pretty angry that poart of my home owner's tax each years goes to pay Lone Star Community Colleges. I obect to one dime of my money going to help ouot these criminal illegal aliens. I hope they win the law suit.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas