Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX Store Chain Sets Day Laborer Policy

I want to tell you what happens at this Race Trac, since the reporter didn't give the customer's perspective. The illegal aliens harass the customers. They hang around the side of the building and out of site of the manager, who obviously has their hands full keeping the customers safe and free of harassment. Also, when the police are called, they jump across the boundary and lie about not trespassing. The day labors at this location are a terrible nuisance.

Store Chain Sets Day Laborer Policy

Published : Tuesday, 08 Sep 2009, 7:08 AM CDT

* Saul Garza
    * Adapted for Web by Alice Kalthoff

See Video Link at bottom

"No shirt, no shoes, no service" --- that sign is common at several businesses, but how about "No day workers?"

That's exactly what was posted on the door of a Race Trac convenience store in the 2900 block of South Cooper Street in Arlington.

The sign read, "NO DAY WORKERS ARE ALLOWED ON PROPERTY OR INSIDE STORE. NO SALES WILL BE ALLOWED. POLICE WILL ENFORCE."

Marco Ipina says he and other day laborers are not allowed to even set foot on the property. They must stay on the opposite side of the fence at the edge of the parking lot.

"I'm dressed for work," Ipina said, indicating his t-shirt and cotton pants. "So if you're dressed for work, they won't let you in, you can't buy because you're a day laborer, you're a Mexican day laborer."

A FOX 4 viewer who was disturbed by the sign alerted us. So we checked it out over a period of weeks.

We noticed one clerk frequently looking out the window and in the direction of workers.

One one occasion, three day laborers went into the store to buy something, but came out empty-handed. They told FOX 4 when they put their items on the counter, they were told to leave.

"Most of the time, the lady gets upset and says, 'Hell no, you're not buying here. Go!'" said Ipina.

On a different day, the same clerk appeared to take a picture of one worker as he left the store.

"Supposedly we're all equal in this country," Ipina said. "It shouldn't be brown, black, blue, yellow, red. We're all one color. My money is green just like yours, just like anybody else's."

FOX 4 reporter Saul Garza wanted to see for himself. He went in the store and was able to make a purchase without a problem. On the way in, he asked the clerk about the sign.

"I see those day laborers, trouble for you all?" Garza asked.

"Yeah, big time," the clerk replied.

"What do they do?" Garza asked.

"Steal," the clerk replied.

During Garza's last visit, a different sign was posted on the store's door. It read, "IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE PEOPLE STANDING ON THE SIDE OF MY PARKING LOT YOU ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED IN THE STORE. NO MORE FREE DRINKS. NO MORE BATHROOM BREAKS. DO NOT COME IN THE STORE."

Later, an Arlington police officer and a store clerk approached the group of day laborers, including Saul Garza, ordering them to stay on their side of the fence.

The clerk said the store had an agreement with police. If day laborers entered the store, they could be charged with trespassing. This, she added was a company-wide policy.

FOX 4 wanted answers, and went inside with a camera.

The clerk who had just told the day laborers to stay out wouldn't talk to us. She referred us to the manager instead.

"It's something my boss has told me, and it's my job to follow it," said the manager, who didn't give his name. "If he says that's what I need to do, that's what I do."

When FOX 4 contacted RaceTrac's corporate headquarters in Atlanta, we got a very different response. A spokesman said the company has no such policy in place that refuses service to day laborers.

They said no employee is supposed to refuse service to anyone at any of its 260 stores in four states. The company said what happened at its Arlington store is "unfortunate and regrettable."

From now on, day laborers will be allowed to enter the store and buy merchandise. But if they're caught loitering or harassing customers in the parking lot, they could be charged with trespassing.

As for the signs, corporate has ordered them removed.

There is a video at the following link.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/Race_T ... s_Day_Labo
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

And what does the state law allow?

Most states have laws which allow businesses the right to deny service to anyone, at any time, and for any reason.

If that's the case in Texas and this is a franchise, I'm not sure that the corporation can tell the franchise owner what to do in this case.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, Texas has a law.

"...reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." No reason needed.

Many post signs, no shoes, no shirts... no service.

Race Trac is wrong on this one. I've seen the mess over there and heard the horror stories. One lady was trapped in her car because they rushed her and scared her so she jumped back in her car. She couldn't leave, they were in the way...

Dixie

race trac has a right to protect its customers also.

i have no problem with what they are doing.

I liked the signs the manager posted. Its too bad he cant continue to use them.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

During Garza's last visit, a different sign was posted on the store's door. It read, "IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE PEOPLE STANDING ON THE SIDE OF MY PARKING LOT YOU ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED IN THE STORE. NO MORE FREE DRINKS. NO MORE BATHROOM BREAKS. DO NOT COME IN THE STORE."
    About time!