Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Thousands attend immigration rally in downtown Dallas

Thousands attend immigration rally in downtown Dallas
    ~~~~~~~~
    Looks like the marchers have peetered out. Good.

Dixie
    ~~~~~~~
    Thousands attend immigration rally in downtown Dallas

By ANABELLE GARAY Associated Press Writer
    © 2007 The Associated Press
    April 1, 2007, 4:16PM

DALLAS — Thousands of people wearing white shirts and waving American flags rallied in downtown Dallas on Sunday as part of a continuing push for immigration reform for the millions of illegal immigrants already living in the United States.

Many in the crowed police estimated at more than 5,000 held signs that read "No to 2903," referring to an ordinance in the Dallas suburb of Farmer's Branch that would make it illegal for landlords to rent apartments to illegal immigrants.

Organizers said Sunday's demonstration is the first of many events to be held to continue urging lawmakers to pass a comprehensive immigration plan.

Speakers asked those who were already citizens to vote and asked those already in the country legally to be sure and vote.

"The most powerful strength we have aside from our labor force is our vote," Hector Flores, past national president of the League of Latin American Citizens, told the crowd gathered at City Hall.

A year ago, tens of thousands gathered for a massive march and rally in downtown Dallas that was part of a series of coordinated national protests intended to raise awareness on the issue of immigration reform.

Gesofranes Mendoza was back for Sunday's rally with his family and held a sign that said "Justice For All."

Although lawmakers didn't approve a plan last year to legalize millions of undocumented immigrants, Mendoza hopes this year will be different.

"I think it's improving a little bit, not too much, but we're trying. Someday," he said.

One bill introduced into Congress would give some of the millions of illegal immigrants in the country a chance at becoming citizens. Another proposal from the White House and Republican lawmakers would require immigrants to pay hefty fines for being in the country illegally and force them to leave and obtain legal status before they could return.

"We think the price is too high. But at least it gets the debate going," said Domingo Garcia, a Dallas attorney and activist.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/4679160.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Speakers asked those who were already citizens to vote and asked those already in the country legally to be sure and vote.
    Uhmmm, don't you have to be a citizen to vote, not just here legally?
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Gesofranes Mendoza was back for Sunday's rally with his family and held a sign that said "Justice For All."
    If JUSTICE was doled out, they would all be in jail!

Quote Originally Posted by gofer
    my thoughts exactly.

i was at work and missed this, but from what i hear it wasn't much, of course the media is all over it.

April
    [quote:2w5qos3k]Quote:
    gofer wrote:
    If JUSTICE was doled out, they would all be in jail![/quote:2w5qos3k]

You hit the nail on the head with that Gofer. Justice would be a good thing to see!

"Justice for All" I don't think so, Infact I'm pretty sure the middle class American is getting screwed!! Paying for your school and medical something that should be your parents responsiblity, but somewhere along the way our government got it into their pea brain it is our responsiblity!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

The official count was around 2,000 marchers. There were a few counter protesters. Most of them were running around with signs opposing the Farmers Branch ordinance.

Once again, it's none of Dallas' business.

Oh, they still had Mexican Flags.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by dragons5
    Quote Originally Posted by gofer
    my thoughts exactly.

i was at work and missed this, but from what i hear it wasn't much, of course the media is all over it.
    that cuz the majority of the media in dallas does not care about anyone or anything.

Did this ladies picture get in the paper? Makes me angry -should make a few others angry...