Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. border surveillance system became fiasco

Reuters, through Toronto Metro News

Here is the link:

http://www.metronews.ca/reuters_inte...l.asp?id=78872

U.S. border surveillance system became fiasco

Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:20:43 PM ET

By Alan Elsner

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A $250 million program to put remote video surveillance cameras along parts of the United States' northern and southern borders was grossly and possibly criminally mismanaged, a House subcommittee heard on Thursday.

Joel Gallay, deputy inspector general of the U.S. General Services Administration, told a subcommittee of the House of Representatives committee on homeland security that the contract was never subject to open competition as required by federal regulations, was badly run, inadequately supervised and shoddily implemented.

He said his office had opened a criminal investigation with the cooperation of the FBI, but declined to give further details in public session.

The initial $2 million contract, which eventually ballooned to $257 million, was awarded in 1999 to a company called International Microwave Corp. which was later acquired by L-3 Communications Government Services Inc.

Its president, Joseph Saponaro, denied many of Galley's accusations and said the system was operational at 246 sites and the government got value for its money.

But Galley said he stood by his report.

"The remote video surveillance effort was in many respects a major project gone awry. A principal reason was the failure to follow basics: to adhere to proper procurement rules and practices; to ensure there was adequate planning, selection of an appropriate contracting approach and open competition," Galley testified.

Republicans and Democrats on the committee criticized the failure of the Department of Homeland Security to send a representative to testify at the hearing.

"We have a very glaring empty space, an empty chair, and that is the Department of Homeland Security," said Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee, a Texas Democrat.

AMERICA'S SHIELD INITIATIVE

The hearing came as the Department of Homeland Security embarks on a much more ambitious project called America's Shield Initiative to place remote video surveillance cameras, intelligent computer-aided dispatch systems; seismic, magnetic and infrared sensors and other types of equipment along the entire length of the U.S. borders with Mexico and Canada.

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said: "This particular hearing goes back to the era before the creation of the department and focused on a system we inherited which was not well managed or integrated with other systems.

"That technology is being replaced with the America's Shield Initiative and we look forward to updating Congress on the ASI in the future."

The aim of the new project is to help border patrol agents intercept illegal immigrants streaming across the border, hinder drug smugglers and protect the country against the possible incursion of terrorists.

A Senate appropriations subcommittee this week approved $51 million for the first stage of that project, which could eventually cost $2.5 billion.

The earlier system, even if it had been fully deployed, would only have covered 4 percent of the border.

Galley said that when GSA inspectors visited eight sites last summer, none were fully operational. At some, no equipment had been installed. At others, the equipment did not work.

At one site in Naco, Arizona, inspectors found parts laying on the desert floor. Other components, paid for by the government, languished in warehouses.

Galley also said that in several instances the contractor billed for sophisticated and expensive thermal imaging cameras but actually delivered cheaper, less capable systems.

Republicans and Democrats on the committee called the affair a blow to U.S. national security as well as an affront to taxpayers.
    Heard any of this on CNN?

GOOD POST, LOBO!!!

I loved the part about the "empty space and the empty chair" called Homeland Security!!

LMFAO!!!

On a serious note, I want ALL THAT MONEY BACK!!

So...tell me....the "advantage" of all this fancy-assed equipment is to do what?

Take pictures of them "streaming" across the border to prove up to the "globbies" how many we got now?

They mentioned "parts on the desert floor".

Am I to understand that we will soon have over $3 Billion worth of "fancy-assed equipement" stuck in the desert floor all alone, unguarded with wild animals peeing on it; others tryin to eat it; or just being cleverly dismantled or stolen by the illegals "streaming" across the borders with tool kits?

God Help Us!

PINK-SLIPS are too good for these IDIOTS!!

GET TROOPS TO THE BORDERS NOW!!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    GOOD POST, LOBO!!!

I loved the part about the "empty space and the empty chair" called Homeland Security!!

LMFAO!!!

On a serious note, I want ALL THAT MONEY BACK!!

So...tell me....the "advantage" of all this fancy-assed equipment is to do what?

Take pictures of them "streaming" across the border to prove up to the "globbies" how many we got now?

They mentioned "parts on the desert floor".

Am I to understand that we will soon have over $3 Billion worth of "fancy-assed equipement" stuck in the desert floor all alone, unguarded with wild animals peeing on it; others tryin to eat it; or just being cleverly dismantled or stolen by the illegals "streaming" across the borders with tool kits?

God Help Us!

PINK-SLIPS are too good for these IDIOTS!!

Don't laugh too hard because all your money is getting wasted again by the government. I think the quickest way to make a fortune is to get a fat contract with the government and don't deliver on your promises. Just take the money and run. Looks like that was exactly what these crooks did anyway.

All the wasted money could have gone a long way in beefing up the border patrol with more men. Instead they throw it away on some cheap stuff they probably purchased at Radio Shack.

Now they want to throw more money away to do it right. Somehow I'm not very optimistic that will happen, and I bet the contractor they hired to do the work isn't paying taxes either. A lot of heads need to roll for this gross mismanagement but they will most likely get promotions instead.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MY feeling exactly Brian503a--Use tax-payer money to do what Americans want which is:

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn