Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. needs immigration reform, said USCIS Director

This is an article from AOL Latino. Translated by Google. I didn't notice it reported in any MSM of NYC.

U.S. needs immigration reform, said USCIS Director
    Published: 10/14/1910 at 7:53 am

AOL News

Reforma migratoria

NEW YORK .- The need for immigration reform in America "is extreme," said the director of immigration services in the country, who called for a broad package of changes including from new visa programs to objectives to stimulate the economy with new immigrants.

"I've been in my position just a year and see that the rhetoric around the immigration issue. However, I am optimistic about achieving comprehensive reform. The need is extreme," said Alejandro Mayorkas, director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, for its acronym in English).

Mayorkas, who spoke at a forum of The New School University in Manhattan, stayed in favor of approving a comprehensive reform covering many aspects of complex immigration laws, instead of going plugging holes "with band-aids as you go time.

But did not specify what kind of reform much approve, Mayorkas admitted that the challenges facing his agency are many and that it "intends to accept criticism and to analyze which aspects can do better. One of these aspects would be to reduce long waits to enter the country suffered foreign dependents of people with visas or U.S. resident, said.

Immigration reform filled the headlines three years ago, when he introduced a proposal to establish a path to legalization for the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States. The proposal in Congress did not get enough support and was not even voted.

Now, however, have been introduced several bills to reform the immigration system and have not yet been analyzed, including a proposal of Democratic Sens. Robert Menendez and Patrick Leahy.

Mayorkas, who was born in Cuba, noted that despite "a very difficult job to perform" his agency does "amazing things" every day. Among them, the official stressed the many hours of dedicated employees work to ensure temporary visas to Haitians affected by the strong earthquake that shook the island earlier this year.

"Many people worked 24 hours a day to provide humanitarian aid. I was extremely proud," said Mayorkas.

USCIS is an agency with more than 10,000 full-time employees and 8,000 contract workers in over 250 offices worldwide. Although the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is what makes the deportations, from October 2009 through September of this year 392,862 people were deported from the United States, the highest recorded so far, said Mayorkas.

The official also stressed that the immigration detention centers "in need of reform" after numerous complaints about the conditions under which detainees are held. Newspapers like The New York Times reported deaths of immigrants who did not receive necessary medical treatment while in custody awaiting deportation.

Mayorkas said the government is leading the transformation of these centers and that deaths have been reduced, and became only eight this year.

"A single death is unacceptable. The problem is real and recognize that we are allocating resources to fix it. We're making progress," he said.
    Categories: Main News, Immigration

Tags: AP, immigration reform

http://noticias.aol.com/2010/10/14/eeuu ... ria-uscis/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Immigration reform filled the headlines three years ago, when he introduced a proposal to establish a path to legalization for the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States. The proposal in Congress did not get enough support and was not even voted.
    The only reform that must happen is attrition by enforcement, deportations, mandate E-Verify for everyone, no more freebies to households with even illegal alien, and build the damn wall!!!

NO means NO!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    NO means NO!
    Having a wife and two kids in my household NO sometimes doesn't mean NO.
    But that is just a personal problem that shouldn't apply where govt is concerned.
    Spoiling my own is one thing but it shouldn't require I spoil everybody.

I think Mayorkas is confused on who he works for and he clearoy doesn't know anything about the US economy.

"stimulate the economy with new immigrants"

How do people this stupid end up working for the federal government? New immigrants don't stimulate the economy. They bankrupt it.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Many people worked 24 hours a day to provide humanitarian aid. I was extremely proud," said Mayorkas.
    I'd be extremely “proudâ€

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    I'd be extremely “proudâ€
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

USCIS wouldn't have such a hard job, if they didn't make exceptions for every little excuse. This is the criteria and if you don't fit into it, you don't get to enter the US, you don't get to stay and you sure don't receive citizenship.

That's it. Simple as that.

Also, the last thing USCIS needs is another visa or set of rules to go with it.

Dixie