http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?feed=T ... cotrip.xml

U.S. official finds policies don't translate

SACRAMENTO, Aug. 27 (UPI) -- A Mexican-American politician from California has discovered that positions that make sense north of the border sound different in the south.

Related Headlines

Hidden funds aiding Schwarzenegger (August 24, 2005) -- Non-profits are helping California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger keep millions of dollars in contributions out of the spotlight, a published report ... > full story

Times: Arnold's squeeze paid off (August 12, 2005) -- The Los Angeles Times reports a tabloid publisher promised to pay a California woman $20,000 for the details of an alleged affair with Arnold ... > full story

Mexico and U.S. forging anti-terror plan (May 20, 2005) -- Mexico and the United States are working on an anti-terror plan called the North American Security Perimeter, El Universal reported Friday. The ... > full story

Minutemen planning to patrol Texas border (May 12, 2005) -- The Minutemen volunteer group that patrolled the Arizona border for a month is finalizing plans for a trip to Texas later this year. Chris Simcox, ... > full story

Mexican minister pokes fun at governor (April 22, 2005) -- Mexican Foreign Relations Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez chastised Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for his English fumbling, El Universal ... > full story

The Los Angeles Times reports that Fabian Nunez, speaker of the California Assembly, has been spending much of his time on a goodwill trip to Mexico explaining his call for a state of emergency on the border. Nunez says his was moved by a concern for illegal immigrants who often die trying to cross.

"Last week I got a report on the number of deaths in Calexico, and after seeing the loss of life, I called on the governor to act," Nunez said Friday during a breakfast meeting.

Nunez's qualified support of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger also puzzles or angers many Mexicans, the Times said. The governor supported a group of private citizens calling themselves the Minutemen who patrolled the border this spring.

"Where does this guy stand?" Ulises Canchola Gutierrez, a foreign ministry official, asked the Times. "He supports a state of emergency. He says Arnold is not so bad. I'm confused."