Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Undocumented student recounts her story of achievement

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentin ... 028603.htm

Posted on Thu, Jul. 13, 2006

Living the immigration debate: Undocumented student recounts her story of achievement

By Henry Barmeier

San Jose Mercury News

(MCT)

Lucila, a recent graduate of a San Jose, Calif., high school, is an undocumented immigrant. She and her family crossed the border in Tijuana six years ago.

Despite her legal status, she's been involved in a range of activities, from tennis and badminton to Mexican folkloric dance. This fall, Lucila plans to attend San Jose State University and become a literature teacher.

She's also found solidarity with others in the same situation. She volunteers with Californians for Justice, an immigrant advocacy group, and took part in the huge May Day immigration rights rally in San Jose this spring.

Although her story is not unique, Lucila represents something often overlooked in the immigration debate: the teenage voice. Here's her story:

Q: What was it like crossing the border?

A: It was scary. We paid this guy who was supposed to go through the checkpoint with all of us. I went through easily, but the American immigration officials got my mom and put her in jail for two days. That actually happened twice. But she got a fake ID and got in. It depends on your luck.

Q: Why did your parents come to the United States?

A: The only reason they came here anyway was for me, so I could have a better opportunity. Right now my dad works in construction and my mom works for a company packing computer stuff.

Q: How influenced are you by your Mexican heritage?

A: We only speak Spanish at my home. We try to live my culture as the way we lived in Mexico. Also, dance folklorico ties me back to my culture.

Q: What is it like, right now, to be a daughter of undocumented immigrants?

A: It's pretty harsh, and I think it's wrong that the government is trying to penalize my parents. They should not be considered felons, because the only thing they do is work hard and contribute to the economy and the United States.

Q: Do you feel you are the target of racism or prejudice?

A: I have encountered racism before, but lately, no. I actually have the luck to live in a community that is mainly Latinos. So, we understand what we've been through. There was one time while I was in middle school, and this guy told me I should go back to Mexico because I was a ****** or whatever. I just took it as he was being dumb.

Q: Did you come to the United States speaking English?

A: I came here only speaking Spanish, and I took summer school and learned to speak English there. I just took one year of summer school. I learned so fast thanks to this one great teacher I had.

Q: How do you feel about making English the official language of the United States?

A: It is the first language in the United States, but they should also keep the doors open to new cultures, because someone who's closed-minded will never learn anything else. Being bilingual should not be something that's wrong. It should be something that's really good, that you worked hard for.

Q: What do you do with Californians for Justice?

A: Mainly we fight for equality in education. We fight to improve the low-privilege schools so they can have the same kind of education as the rich schools. We also promote bilingual education: Every student who is bilingual and passes the AP exam for Spanish or whatever other language will get a bilingual certification.

Q: What was it like to participate in the May Day rallies?

A: It was nice to see all these people speaking their minds for one cause. It was not only Latinos. I saw a lot of different races in there. It was a happy mood, and everybody was not causing trouble. It really represented what we are. There was no violence, only passion -- passion for what they want. You can't ignore more than 100,000 people.

Q: How do you hope the immigration debate is resolved in Congress?

A: For me, the best outcome would be to give papers to people who are working hard. My parents work and, although they do it illegally, they still pay taxes. We're not felons. We're making something good for America. It's nothing that will be given for granted for them. It's something they work hard to get.

Q: Are you and your family pursuing citizenship?

A: It all depends on the government and the bills they're trying to pass. Right now, I could apply, and what if it fails? I'll have to go back and start all over again.

Q: What is the value of the immigrant population?

A: America is based on immigrants. Everybody is an immigrant because the only natives are the native Americans. That's the culture of America -- that's what makes America what it is now. It's a mixture of cultures; it's not just one culture.

---

Henry Barmeier is a recent graduate of Saratoga High School in Saratoga, Calif. Because of Lucila's family's immigration status, her last name has been withheld.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

A: It's pretty harsh, and I think it's wrong that the government is trying to penalize my parents. They should not be considered felons, because the only thing they do is work hard and contribute to the economy and the United States.
    Dearheart, you are an illegal alien too. How have you contributed to the economy?

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is typical news in Mexifornia.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Am I supposed to get teary eyed now.

Take all that fight for justice back to mexico and fight for it in your own country. You are an illegal immigrant, you and your family are breaking our laws.
    You should not have been allowed to attend school here being an illegal. There are legitimate, legal avenues to becoming a citizen of the United States, that obviously your family decided not to pursue.

Furthermore, you should not be allowed to go to college here either.

The time for compassion passed when your fellow protesters decided to start burning our flag (that many good people died for) and began threatening citizens of this country.
    You have no authority here, be gone before someone drops a house on YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Axman

Take all that fight for justice back to mexico and fight for it in your own country. You are an illegal immigrant, you and your family are breaking our laws.
    You should not have been allowed to attend school here being an illegal. There are legitimate, legal avenues to becoming a citizen of the United States, that obviously your family decided not to pursue.

Furthermore, you should not be allowed to go to college here either.

The time for compassion passed when your fellow protesters decided to start burning our flag (that many good people died for) and began threatening citizens of this country.
    Welcome Axman and right on. Enough is enough. This site is a great source of information and good people here. Although I have always been aware of the problem, living where I do, the demonstrations opened my eyes wider than before.
    Again, welcome!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Axman
    Hi Axman and welcome!

Teary eyed? Sure you are. That's why they keep printing these bleeding heart stories. Only the names have been changed to protect the guilty. Speaking of names......strange how these illegals never seem to have a last name.

Let me know when you need a Kleenex..........I've stocked up.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why don't they just ask her if the southwest should be given back to Mexico? I am so sick of these totally BS, pro-illegal...err excuse me.. hard working, law abiding, honest, family values, salt of the earth, heroic undocumented immigrants.

I didn't see where they asked if her parents drive illegally, without licenses, or have insurance or car registration. She says they speak Spanish at home, I guess that's code for her parents don't speak English.

"All we want is equality, we deserve to have all the rights and priveliges as those who came here legally. Just because we broke thew law, cut in line in front those who have followed the law and waited for years, there's no reason why we should be penalized, I mean how unfair is that? We contribute to the economy and all the other talking points and catch phrases we're supposed to say to propagate the myth of how illegals made this country and if it weren't for us, all you gringos would be wallowing around in your own feces. After all you lazy gringos never could have landed a man on the moon if it weren't for the janitors sweeping the floors and cleaning the toilets."
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€