Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Undocumented students devastated G O P blocks dream

IMMIGRATION Posted on Saturday, 12.18.10
    Undocumented students devastated after GOP blocks DREAM Act

By MELISSA SANCHEZ
    msanchez@MiamiHerald.com
    A controversial bill that would have granted legal status to hundreds of thousands of undocumented students was blocked once again in the Senate Saturday.

The 55-41 vote in of the so-called DREAM Act was five votes shy of moving onto the Senate floor, effectively killing its chances of passing this year.

Immigration activists and undocumented students, some of whom drove overnight from Miami to Washington, reacted with frustration on hearing the final vote. Dozens gathered at Yambo Restaurant in Little Havana to watch the procedural vote on C-SPAN.

"I don't get it. This is disappointing, but we have to keep fighting," said 22-year-old Adrián Escarate, who was 3 when his family immigrated illegally to the U.S. from Chile. "I don't know Chile. The only country I know is this one."

It was the second time this year that the Senate voted on the bill, which was first brought to Congress a decade ago.

Florida's senators voted with the their respective parties. Democrat Bill Nelson voted in favor of the bill while his Republican counterpart George LeMieux voted against.

The bill would create a path to citizenship for undocumented students who immigrated illegally to the United States before they were 16 and who have lived here for at least five years. It would apply only to university students and those who commit to serving at least two years in the military.

The House of Representatives approved the measure earlier this month, 216 to 198.

Senate leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, said in a press conference after the vote that the Republican Party "will pay for this'' in 2012 by losing votes in the Hispanic community.

Texas Republican Kay Bailey Hutchinson, who opposed the bill, said in a statement that "such serious legislation should be brought up in a time frame that allows for consideration, deliberation and consensus through full debate and amendments''.

Bob Menendez, D-N.J., told El Nuevo Herald that chances are slim for any immigration reform to pass next year, when Republicans take control of the House.

"I don't want to raise any false hopes. It's not say there is no hope but I have to be realistic," he said.

In recent months, the issue has mobilized many young activists in South Florida, including a group of undocumented students who walked to Washington in May to raise support and publicity.

During a "vote pary'' this morning in Little Havana, various students and immigrant rights advocates spoke about their hopes for the bill's passage. Among them was Raul Gil, 21, of Peru.

Though he immigrated illegally with his family to the United States when he was 13, he didn't know he was undocumented until three years later.

"I remember wanting to get a car and my license, and I couldn't," Gil said. "I asked my mom and she explained that we're undocumented."

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/18/1 ... z18UrMIR9d

Americans would have been devastated, as would our country, with the passage of the Dream Act.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Perhaps Mr. Reid should take a look at his fellow Democrats who did not vote for the bill. Nasty business trying to blame the GOP.

"I remember wanting to get a car and my license, and I couldn't," Gil said. "I asked my mom and she explained that we're undocumented."
    And since when has that stopped em from driving! [/quote]
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

And since when has that stopped em from driving!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Peru's economic growth was strong over the 7 years up to 2008, averaging 6.8% a year, resulting from market-oriented economic reforms (which included measures to promote trade and attract investment) and privatizations in the 1990s. GDP grew 9.8% in 2008, 8.9% in 2007, 7.7% in 2006, and 6.8% in 2005. Economic expansion in recent years has been driven by construction, mining, private investment, exports, and domestic consumption. President Alan Garcia and his economic team have continued these policies. Peru's economy is well managed, and better tax collection and growth have been increasing revenues, with expenditures keeping pace. Private investment is rising and becoming more broad-based. Peru obtained investment grade status in 2008. The Garcia administration is pursuing decentralization initiatives, and is focused on bringing more small businesses into the formal economy.

Peru weathered the 2008 global financial crisis well and was one of the few Latin American countries that had a positive growth rate, although GDP grew just 0.9% in 2009 in the face of the world recession and lower commodity export prices. Inflation (annual average) receded to 2.9% in 2009 after jumping to 5.8% in 2008 due mostly to substantial global food and oil price increases; 3 consecutive years of fiscal surplus turned into a deficit of 11.9% of GDP. Thanks to pre-payments, public external debt in 2009 dropped to $20.6 billion or 16.2% of GDP (compared to 70.9% at the end of 198, and foreign reserves were a record $33.2 billion.
    http://www.traveldocs.com/pe/economy.htm

During a "vote pary'' this morning in Little Havana, various students and immigrant rights advocates spoke about their hopes for the bill's passage. Among them was Raul Gil, 21, of Peru.

Though he immigrated illegally with his family to the United States when he was 13, he didn't know he was undocumented until three years later.
    He didn't know he was "undocumented" (note: illegal you dummie) until he was 16 years old?

If that is at all even possible, it just indicates that we have made it way too easy for illegal aliens to remain here.

I have lost my job, my health care and my hope for a pension. I have MS and am in my sixties. My husband lost his job when he got cancer, finally found another one two years later making half of what he was making before his diagnosis. Talk about age and health discrimination - where are those people in the news asking about fairness and the impact of our government's policies on our futures? We are citizens and taxpayers. At least this kid can go back to Peru where he belongs - they apparently exported enough of their unworthy citizens to be a burden on the good people of the US.

illegal aliens

Unfortunately, children around the world, pay for their parents actions.

Look at what happens here to the children of Americans who break the law and then end up in jail.

Talk with your parents. those who chose to disrespect our nation's laws, came here illegally, or overstayed visas, illegally. They thought they could interfere with all those around the world, who respect our laws, and APPLY for entry, get checked out criminally, physically, and financially, wait in line and fill out the forms.

The cost to our nation, of every illegal alien who has no high school education is ~$1,000,000 over his/her lifetime, in welfare, food stamps and social services, schools, etc, according to a study by the Heritage Foundation.

Look at CA and it's financial woes. While NOT all the problems are caused by illegal aliens, ~25-30% of it's debt load is caused by illegal aliens and their anchor babies.

Then there's all the additional CRIME, other than just being here illegally.
    For example, there's the murder of an AMERICAN young woman, here in WA state, by a British subject, who couldn't be located because of the ~10 fake ID's he had. There's the murders, rapes, DUI's, pedopile attacks on our children, robberies, burgleries, ID theft, gangs, etc. Certainly not all illegals act in such a fashion, but as the victim of illegal aliens, personally, I ask, "WHY SHOULD AMERICANS AND LEGAL IMMIGRANTS WONDER WHICH ILLEGAL ALIEN IS GOING TO COMMIT SUCH CRIMES.?" And then, have to pay for their incarceration, lawyers, etc.??? Makes NO sense.

Then there's the AUDACITY of illegal aliens DEMANDING RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES in our nation, WHEN YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN BE HERE.

While you may be a decent person, this IS a nation of laws which your parents ignored. Again, talk to them.

If I want to go to another country, I MUST obey it's laws.

If we have no laws, then we have anarchy.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Senate leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, said in a press conference after the vote that the Republican Party "will pay for this'' in 2012 by losing votes in the Hispanic community.

More threats against Americans Harry!
    You'll have your hands full dealing with all the investigations,
    "In the biggest voter fraud scam in US history!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer

More threats against Americans Harry!
    You'll have your hands full dealing with all the investigations,
    "In the biggest voter fraud scam in US history!"
    Considering much of the Hispanic community is illegal and not qualified to vote, this is quite the empty threat.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)