Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Unions object to "silent" immigration raids

Unions object to "silent" immigration raids

By Paul T. Rosynsky
    Oakland Tribune
    Posted: 07/20/2011 04:40:36 PM PDT
    Updated: 07/20/2011 04:40:38 PM PDT

OAKLAND -- Bay Area labor unions demanded Wednesday that the Obama administration stop its increased practice of auditing business payrolls to check for illegal immigrant workers.

Using Berkeley-based Pacific Steel and Casting as an example, leaders from several unions said the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, is wreaking havoc with immigrant families and local economies by demanding that employers provide it information about its employees.

Known as I-9 audits, investigators check the legal status of employees through the Social Security numbers and green card information the employees supplied to the business when hired. In many cases of illegal immigrants, that documentation is forged and the I-9 audits can determine who at a workplace is living and working in the country illegally.

ICE drastically increased its use of I-9 audits in 2009 when 1,444 businesses were audited, almost tripling the number audited in 2008, The New York Times reported this week. In 2010, the government audited 2,196 businesses.

Although the audits, in many cases, do not lead to the deportation of a worker, they do force an employer to fire the worker, harming the company, the worker and the economy, labor leaders said.

"These are silent raids," said Oakland Councilman Ignacio De La Fuente, who also is the vice president of the Glass, Molders, Pottery, Plastics, and Allied Workers International Union. "We know that this country was built by immigrants. These workers should have some rights."

Even employers are not pleased with the audits; many have said they disrupt production and, in some cases, force out key workers who have become valuable to the organization.

"It's terribly disruptive," said Elisabeth Jewel, a spokeswoman for Pacific Steel and Casting. "We have highly trained employees and to lose them is very damaging."

Pacific Steel and Casting was first notified that it was to be audited in late February when ICE sent a letter seeking information on the steel foundry's 550 employees. The company complied but has yet to hear back from the government.

In the meantime, the Alameda County Labor Council began lobbying local politicians to object to the increase I-9 raids. The group successfully won resolutions from the Berkeley and Oakland city councils that condemn the audits.

De La Fuente said he expects that 100 to 200 employees at Pacific Steel could lose their jobs as a result of the audit.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18516776
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"These are silent raids," said Oakland Councilman Ignacio De La Fuente, who also is the vice president of the Glass, Molders, Pottery, Plastics, and Allied Workers International Union. "We know that this country was built by immigrants. These workers should have some rights."

The country was built by immigrants NOT illegal immigrants!!!! Silent raids are the best kind!

"Even employers are not pleased with the audits; many have said they disrupt production and, in some cases, force out key workers who have become valuable to the organization."

Oh boo hoo, then they shouldn't have hired these people to begin with.

100 to 200 employees at Pacific Steel could lose their jobs as a result of the audit.

That's 100 to 200 jobs for AMERICANS
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If they would have hired citizens to begin with they would not be dealing with this now. THEY KNEW they were illegal aliens that they hire.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

They shouldn't have ANY rights!

"Unions object to "silent" immigration raids"

I object to silent raids too.
    I want to bring back the good old work place raids where people were chased down and handcuffed,
    loaded on buses and deported.

And I want to add school, home, hospital and welfare office raids.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    "Unions object to "silent" immigration raids"

I object to silent raids too.
    I want to bring back the good old work place raids where people were chased down and handcuffed,
    loaded on buses and deported.

And I want to add school, home, hospital and welfare office raids.
    JOHNDOE for President!!!

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

illegals

Unions must stop helping those individuals who are here illegally. Illegal aliens must be deported. Illegal aliens get money (social services) from local, federal, state governments. And that is causing (in part) the current economic situation. So we have to deport all illegal aliens. Stop proving social services to illegal aliens.

Yes, JOHNDOE2, you afre completely correct. They have no rights because they are breaking a Federal law and are criminals and need to be treated as such!!!
    <div>Dingdow

fight for our freedom and our country</div>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast