Unlikely pair unites in the name of amnesty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: July 2, 2007
1:00 a.m. Eastern

Michael Ackley

Editor's note: Michael Ackley's columns may include satire and parody based on current events, and thus mix fact with fiction. He assumes informed readers will be able to tell which is which.

The voice on the line was cordial but somewhat reserved.

"Who's calling," it asked.

"It's John Kerry."

"John Kerry … John Kerry," said the voice in a bemused tone.

"It's Senator John Kerry," said the caller impatiently.

"Oh! Oh, sure, sure. I recall," said the voice. "How've you been? Where've you been keeping yourself?"

"I'm fine, thanks for asking, and I'm still in the U.S. Senate, representing Massachusetts," said Kerry.

"Well, look, senator, I don't want to be impolite, but I'm kind of rushed. If you could just …"

"Of course, of course," said Kerry. "I'll get right to the point. We need your help in re-instituting the Fairness Doctrine and the Equal Time Provision. A lot of us senators think conservative talk radio is stifling debate. The progressive side is being squeezed down and squeezed out, so it just isn't heard. We don't think this is fair."

"Well, heh, heh, I kind of consider myself a conservative," said the voice. "I don't see how I could lend any help to your side of the argument."

"You might feel differently if you felt the heat we've been feeling," Kerry said. "Our fax machines have been running out of paper, our e-mail accounts have been overstuffed, our phones have been ringing every 10 seconds and we've had to put on extra staff to handle the letters.

"People are taking that stuff about the right to petition government seriously."

Another chuckle was heard on the line, and the voice said, "Gee, that's too bad, but I really don't have a lot of time to worry about your problems. I've got enough on my plate."

"But the heat we've been taking has been over the immigration bill," said Kerry. "Conservative talk radio whipped the public into a frenzy of opposition. I've got a safe seat, but a lot of my Senate colleagues – on both sides of the aisle – feared they would face primary election challenges if they voted for the thing.

"It's all because we couldn't get our side portrayed fairly – even if we had known what was in the bill."

"The immigration bill, eh?" said the voice, sounding more interested.

"That's it exactly," said Kerry. "Lack of a Fairness Doctrine led to the defeat of the immigration bill."

"Well, that certain casts a different light on things," said the voice. "Tell you what. I'll give this some thought; bounce it around the next staff meeting. I just may have to change my mind on this. I'll certainly give it every consideration.

"I have to go now. Goodbye." And Kerry said, "Goodbye – and thank you, Mr. President."

Worse than 'Nannygate'?

The California Republican Party is a bit embarrassed over the hiring of Michael Kamburowski last March as the state GOP's chief operations officer.

It seems nobody checked the guy's immigration status or saw the Australian immigrant's green card.

Further, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Kamburowski "was ordered deported in 2001, later was jailed on visa violations in 2004 and since has filed a $5 million wrongful arrest lawsuit against U.S. Department of Homeland Security officials, according to court documents on file in U.S. District Court."

Following these revelations, Kamburowski resigned, though he and his attorney say he came to the United States more than a dozen years ago and is a permanent, legal resident.

If this impels you to wonder, then, why he resigned, join the club. We hear echoes of the "Nannygate" controversies that scuttled some Clinton administration appointments, although we don't know of any illegal immigrant nannies, maids or au pairs who were handling millions in campaign contributions.

One is left to wonder if chief of operations for the California GOP is a job no American would do.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.a ... E_ID=56463