Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US unveils new citizenship test

From the BBC...http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6197422.stm

The US government has unveiled a new citizenship test for immigrants which will focus on the concepts of democracy rather than on historical facts.
    However, immigrant rights groups have rejected the new test, describing it as an anti-immigrant measure.

Officials said the aim was to encourage immigrants to learn about the country's civic values to become better citizens.

The new questions will be tried out on immigrant volunteer groups before being included in the new test.

The plans to revamp the citizenship exam were announced by the director of the US government's Citizenship and Immigration Services, Emilio Gonzalez.

Mr Gonzalez says those who want to become US citizens should not be allowed to do so by simply rattling off historical facts they have memorised but should show a passion for the country of which they are becoming an integral part. The new questions will require those taking the exam to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the American political system and its history.

NEW TEST QUESTIONS
    Why does the United States have three branches of government?
    Name two rights that are only for US citizens
    Name two cabinet-level positions
    Name one important idea found in the Declaration of Independence
    What does the Constitution do?

Prospective citizens will, for example, be asked to explain the conditions which led to the US civil war - unlike the current test in which they simply have to answer that it freed the slaves.

However, immigrant rights groups have raised serious concerns about the new test which they say is an anti-immigrant measure which simply aims to make it harder for immigrants to become US citizens.

And, the fact is that most of the eight million immigrants who already meet the necessary basic requirements for citizenship are for the most part native Spanish speakers.

That will, no doubt, make it difficult for them to explain complicated concepts related to the US political system in English - a language of which many of them have little more than a basic command.

Go to the page to see a list of other information on America and immigration.

This test is pure fantasy.
    I took the test, They give you a book whith the answers and your lawyer, normally you have one, immigration lawyer, shows you 10/15 question they normally ask. I took mine in english but I saw the majority of the people DON'T speak english, we went into a smal room (I and my grand daughter) with the agent and there I had to answer the questions. (if they don't speak english how can they take the test ? (normally they have company also in the small room...)

If they are changing the questions, is to show the people they are getting tough, it's another lier, they want to pretend they are making it more difficult. DON'T believe.

I never thought I would see the day that all this deception would be going on in America. This is a sad time in history for this nation.

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust
    I never thought I would see the day that all this deception would be going on in America. This is a sad time in history for this nation.
    Yes it sure is Sawdust. A sad time indeed, because we're watching the end of our nation.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

And, the fact is that most of the eight million immigrants who already meet the necessary basic requirements for citizenship are for the most part native Spanish speakers.
    To bad, so sad. If anybody wants to become an American citizen, they should be able to read, write and SPEAK English.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Name two rights that are only for US citizens
    No comprende.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

MW
    minnie wrote:

If they are changing the questions, is to show the people they are getting tough, it's another lier, they want to pretend they are making it more difficult. DON'T believe.
    I tend to agree minnie. In view of everything that is going on, it's hard to believe our federal government would do anything to make becoming a citizen more difficult.

If a person fails the new test, they have the option of taking the original test. Don't know how long that is going to last, but it's happening now. I guess two chances are better than one. Now you tell me, how is that making things more difficult?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf
    To bad, so sad. If anybody wants to become an American citizen, they should be able to read, write and SPEAK English.
    I'm going to take the opportunity to vent a little on the subject of speaking English.

The problem to me is that not enough politicians have the spine to vote to make English the official language of this country. In the past, it didn't seem as though we needed to do this as most people who came here learned English and did not expect Americans to learn their native languages. However, this seems to be changing. We are slowly but surely being forced into becoming an English/Spanish biligual nation. Why are they getting away with it? BECAUSE THEY CAN! There is no law to stop it.

There is a lot of propaganda out there on this subject, mostly spread by activists. One is that since we are a "nation of immigrants" we don't really have a RIGHT to declare an official language. This is junk. A lot of countries are "nations of immigrants." We are not the only one. Latin American countries, while originally settled by the Portuguese and Spanish, consist of many nationalities who immigrated later; such as, Italian, French, Polish, German, Middle Eastern, as well as others. Yet, at least 10 countries south of the border have Spanish as their official language!

The second thing that I totally reject is that not wanting to be forced to become a de facto bilingual nation in Spanish/English means you are against the Spanish language or Hispanics. I have no problem with Spanish or Hispanic culture. I do NOT want to be forced to speak the language of a foreign country, whatever that country, in my own country. Over 85% of the world's countries have an official language. Are they all intolerant and racist? I don't think so!

It is time for politicians to grow a spine and say this: nobody forces immigrants to come to this country at gunpoint. If they CHOOSE to come here, they must learn English. Polls have indicated that 90% of the American people want English to be the official language. WE THE PEOPLE DECIDE what language will be spoken here, NOT the people coming here from foreign lands. There is nothing "racist or intolerant" about expecting that people learn AND SPEAK the language of this country which has historically been ENGLISH.

I do not care what people speak in their homes; it is good to be bilingual or multilingual. In fact, I think it would be good for more Americans to learn other languages. But, this business of being forced to learn one particular foreign language in order to obtain or keep a job, or otherwise function in your every day life has got to come to an end.

MW,

At least here in Miami they never fail the test because the agent who interview them speaks also spanish . I am telling you what I saw..

About the bilingual, I completely agree that the children must have an education in as many languages as possible.BUT EDNGLISH is the native language, and the politics for me are ignorants... or corrupts (I prefer the 2nd choice) they sell their own mother for profits so....