Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US-VISIT Check Program Hamstrung By Limited Use

US-VISIT Border Check Program Hamstrung by Limited Use: Report
    NewsMax.com Wires
    Monday, Aug. 8, 2005
    WASHINGTON -- A new report from the Center for Immigration Studies finds that the US-VISIT border-screening program is being seriously undermined by policy decisions that limit its effectiveness.

US-VISIT has proven its potential, according to the report, but the Bush Administration has exempted so many foreign visitors from being screened, and made so little use of the system's exit-recording capabilities, that it could well turn into little more than a high-tech Potemkin Village.

Story Continues Below

What's more, the current limited deployment of US-VISIT cannot guarantee a secure guestworker program. Until all visitors are subject to screening and enforcement and the systems are in place to deter fraud and abuse of all temporary programs, lawmakers must refrain from inviting still more visitors.

The report, entitled "Modernizing America's Welcome Mat: The Implementation of US-VISIT," was prepared by Jessica Vaughan, a Senior Policy Analyst at the Center, using both published information and interviews with officials.

Among the specific findings:

Most Mexicans and Canadians, by far the two largest groups of visitors, are exempt from enrollment in either the entry or the exit components. Currently, only about 22 percent of all visitors are screened by US-VISIT.

Fraud and abuse of Border Crossing Cards (BCCs) issued to Mexicans is rampant, but could be curbed if this group of visitors were enrolled in US-VISIT. Imposters now can use the cards with little risk of detection. In addition, a significant number of Mexicans illegally use the cards to commute to jobs in the United States.

The exemption of Canadian visitors from US-VISIT at land crossings is another major weakness. The US-VISIT controls now in place at airports intercepted eight Canadian terrorism suspects who would not have been caught if they had used a land port of entry.

Although visa overstays represent perhaps as many as 40 percent of all illegal aliens, DHS apparently is planning to implement only a very limited entry-exit-recording program. So far, DHS is using the exit-recording feature of US-VISIT primarily for workload reduction rather than for proactive immigration law enforcement.

US-VISIT cannot by itself bring order to our immigration system. If the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is serious about curbing illegal immigration, the agency will have to move beyond its current enforcement strategy of triage, targeting only the most newsworthy offenders, and embrace a complementary strategy of "broken windows"-style enforcement of all immigration violations that encourages voluntary compliance with the law.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/article ... 0022.shtml
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: US-VISIT Check Program Hamstrung By Limited Use

Although visa overstays represent perhaps as many as 40 percent of all illegal aliens, DHS apparently is planning to implement only a very limited entry-exit-recording program. So far, DHS is using the exit-recording feature of US-VISIT primarily for workload reduction rather than for proactive immigration law enforcement.
    Most of the suspected hijackers of 9/11 were in the country on expired visas. OBVIOUSLY, this system does not protect American Citizens.

US-VISIT cannot by itself bring order to our immigration system. If the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is serious about curbing illegal immigration, the agency will have to move beyond its current enforcement strategy of triage, targeting only the most newsworthy offenders, and embrace a complementary strategy of "broken windows"-style enforcement of all immigration violations that encourages voluntary compliance with the law.

That's funny. Of course Department of Homeland INsecurity isn't serious about curbing illegal immigration. Border Patrol is, but their BIG BOSSES IN DC are not, because their BIG BOSS in the White House isn't.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: US-VISIT Check Program Hamstrung By Limited Use

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Most of the suspected hijackers of 9/11 were in the country on expired visas. OBVIOUSLY, this system does not protect American Citizens.

[quote:39rrfeaj]US-VISIT cannot by itself bring order to our immigration system. If the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is serious about curbing illegal immigration, the agency will have to move beyond its current enforcement strategy of triage, targeting only the most newsworthy offenders, and embrace a complementary strategy of "broken windows"-style enforcement of all immigration violations that encourages voluntary compliance with the law.

That's funny. Of course Department of Homeland INsecurity isn't serious about curbing illegal immigration. Border Patrol is, but this BIG BOSSES IN DC are not, because their BIG BOSS in the White House isn't.

[/quote:39rrfeaj]
    Once again, you have laid it down. Even a blind hog eats Home Land Security? That is so stupid that it would be comical if it were else where. The only thing that wakes me up each morning, other than medicine, is the chance that I will have to make these ILLEGAL VERMIN pay for they have done to MY COUNTRY. Oh, I guess that I have been "disinvited" to protect my state, no, make that my NATION. THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS. Sounds funny huh? It is 1858. The Confederacy is a dream of Jefferson Davis and a few others. But dreams become NIGHTMARES if not guarded. It is a DREAM that I will make major retribution against these ILLEGAL VERMIN. But we are not going to wait till October. Don't get me wrong, I respect the MMP. In fact I LOVE THEM. But, they have just awakened this sleeping giant. Everyone in TEXAS is waiting for OCTOBER. PIMPS, PROSTITUTES, DRUG DEALERS, AND AVERAGE EVERYDAY TEXANS. Waiting. Hoping. Ready to kill or be killed. If you want to really serve your country, do not join the Army, join us in TEXAS in October. The state fair will be going on. Texas vs. OU. And the Dalton Gang will ride again. My name ain't Dalton, but this cowboy will ride with em. It is time to make things right. That MANIAC in the white house calls himself a texan. Hell, the way I hear it he can't even ride a bicycle, let alone a bull, or a horsey. There are not many people that I hate, but I HATE THAT LOW LIFE SNAKE. MOD EDIT Sixx hate runs DEEP
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN