Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Usual suspects fret over new Minuteman chapter

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 291124.htm

Minuteman group in Kansas
    However, a local activist worries that such an effort will unfairly focus on Hispanics.
    By LYNN FRANEY
    The Kansas City Star

Ed Hayes says he worked 29 years as a police officer enforcing the law.

He says he’s still trying to.

But this time it’s by looking around, trying to spot illegal immigrants and report them to authorities.

The Overland Park resident has formed a Kansas chapter of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps, a national group that’s trying to keep illegal immigrants out of the country, mainly by monitoring the U.S.-Mexico border.

Hayes said his group comprises “patriots” interested simply in enforcing current immigration laws.

But an immigrant advocate in Kansas City questioned what such a chapter would do so far from the border.

“What I really don’t understand is how they think; we don’t have any borders here,” said Martha Ramirez, who helped organize pro-immigrant rallies in Kansas City this past spring. “I don’t really know what they’re going to try to protect here. I’m curious to know what their goal here is locally.”

Ramirez said she worries the group will focus unfairly on Hispanic people, even though illegal immigrants come from all over the globe, and may focus suspicion unfairly on people who are here legally.

Hayes said the organization wants its members to keep their eyes open to suspicious people or workplaces employing immigrants who lack proper legal paperwork. Then he wants them to call authorities.

Since 2003, the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement office has taken tips on a toll-free telephone number (1-866-347-2423). Tipsters can leave their contact information or remain anonymous. Tips also are called in regularly to the agency’s field offices around the country.

The agency’s highest priority is investigating cases involving national security or people being victimized (such as forced prostitution of immigrants), spokesman Michael Keegan said.

The tip line received about 27,000 calls from October 2003 to September 2004, and about 98,000 the following year, agency spokesman Michael Gilhooly said.

About half the tip line calls contain enough information for agents to pass them along to field offices, which decide how to follow up.

It’s unknown how many tips result in deportations of illegal immigrants or prosecutions of employers or smugglers, Gilhooly said.

Hayes said illegal immigration worries him because he thinks it adds to the nation’s crime problems and presents a burden on health care and social services.

He said he joined the Minuteman organization in January and began the Kansas chapter in June. The Minuteman Web site also lists a Kansas City chapter and a Springfield chapter.

Hayes, now retired, said he worked as a law enforcement officer in Johnson County but wouldn’t tell The Star on Wednesday for which agency.
    To reach Lynn Franey, minority affairs and immigration reporter, call (816) 234-4927 or send e-mail to lfraney@kcstar.com
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“What I really don’t understand is how they think; we don’t have any borders here,” said Martha Ramirez, who helped organize pro-immigrant rallies in Kansas City this past spring. “I don’t really know what they’re going to try to protect here. I’m curious to know what their goal here is locally.”
    I'm going to assume you are not really that stupid.

Ramirez said she worries the group will focus unfairly on Hispanic people, even though illegal immigrants come from all over the globe, and may focus suspicion unfairly on people who are here legally.
    Hispanic/Latino illegals outnumber other illegals by more then 4 to 1. Only a PC idiot would suggest that our efforts and focus must be "equal".
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Of course you don't know how they think. The Minuteman group acts LEGALLY, and you think illegaly. Big difference Martha!!!
    Their goal is simple: ENFORCE THE LAW AND REMOVE ILLEGALS, AND THEY'RE TRYING TO PROTECT THE AMERICAN CITIZENS WHO ABIDE BY THE LAWS.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.