Utah Governor Plans to Veto Two Immigration Bills
Feb 21, 2008 by Jeff Robinson
One Would Repeal In-State Tuition, One Would Invalidate Driver Privilege Cards

(KCPW News) It appears Republican Representative Glenn Donnelson may have wasted his time pushing two bills that would restrict the privileges of illegal immigrants this session, because Governor Jon Huntsman plans to veto them if they pass the Senate. In a press conference today, the governor said he wants to keep in-state tuition for the children of illegal immigrants, and he wants to keep the driver privilege card.

"Taking tuition away from kids who had no say over their journey in live, being punished, essentially, for decisions by their parents, I think is not appropriate," he said. "The driver privilege card was instituted for a reason three or four years ago."

Governor Huntsman says the legislature should instead create a task force to consider immigration policy. He believes the federal government will reform immigration laws after the presidential election, so Utah should not create its own laws that could later be invalidated.

Congressman Jim Matheson seems to agree with the governor's position. Speaking on KCPW's Midday Metro today, he said Congress should have passed comprehensive immigration reform last year.

"There's no one in this country who thinks our current set of immigration laws and regulations is functioning. Everyone would say it's dysfunctional," said Matheson. "I'm not here to make excuses, in fact I think it's really unfortunate that Congress has not taken on this issue."

Matheson thinks the federal government should start by allowing more temporary workers into the country. He says the current cap on temporary visas is too low to meet demand.
http://www.kcpw.org/article/5394