Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

UT:"Immigrants" seek a "fair shot"

Immigrants seek a fair shot
    Immigration » The undocumented and their advocates rally for reform.

By Jennifer W. Sanchez

The Salt Lake Tribune
    Updated: 05/01/2009 09:46:20 PM MDT

Click photo to enlarge
    Hundreds gathered Friday in Liberty Park to rally in support of federal immigration reform.

Growing up in Utah, Elisa Mendez felt she was treated differently.

She now knows why. She didn't have something most kids took for granted: a Social Security number. Without it, even now as a 22-year-old future college student, she feels inadequate. She said she is paying the consequences for a decision her parents made to bring her here from Colombia for a better life.

"I didn't understand how a nine digit number could control my life, or how a country which I loved so much didn't want me," she said.

Mendez was one of more than 500 people, overwhelmingly Latinos, who rallied under cloudy skies and raindrops Friday at Liberty Park as part of a national May Day movement to draw attention to comprehensive immigration reform on a federal level.

They said they came to march for their parents, friends and children who are some of the 110,000 undocumented immigrants in Utah. They said they want new immigration laws that create a pathway to citizenship for undocumented families. And they said they simply want human rights for all people.

"I'm here to support all my brothers and sisters regardless of what color you are or where you are from," said Isaac Giron, from the activist group Brown Berets, as he addressed the crowd.

Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon and Rep. Rebecca Houch-Chavez, were the only elected public officials who addressed the crowd. Corroon said the federal government needs to have "civilized discussions" and implement "proper immigration reform."

"We are all brothers and sisters in this world," he said. "We should all be working together in this country."

The group, including moms pushing strollers and people carrying U.S. flags, marched more than a mile around the park chanting "Obama! Listen! We are in the struggle!" People waved handmade signs that read: "Murder is not the same as crossing the border," "We are not subhuman. We have potential but not rights," and "Jesus would be against SB81: Where is the love," referring Utah's new immigration law that goes into effect July 1. Others wrapped themselves in U.S., Salvadoran and Mexican flags.

"They may be waving American flags, but we know that's a contradiction," said Lee Ann Whitaker, who was attending a counterprotest with about 15 people across the street from the park.

She was angry that the people calling for immigration reform were displaying their Latino culture, arguing that they had more allegiance to their homelands than to the United States.

"If they are here, their hearts should be too."

Others with Whitaker criticized the immigrants for taking jobs from citizens and burdening the U.S. welfare system.

The park
    rally was organized within a week by several community organizations, including the Brown Berets and the Latin American Chamber of Commerce, in an effort to make sure President Barack Obama and lawmakers don't forget about the importance of immigration reform, organizers said.

Isabel Garcia, 34, hasn't seen her husband in five years, since he was deported after working in the United States for 17 years using a fake Social Security number. Garcia, who installs carpet, is now raising their three kids without any public benefits.

She said she was marching to let Obama know how crucial it is for immigration reform to include a pathway to citizenship. She wants to stay in Utah, but her U.S.-born kids don't feel accepted here and are upset "the police" took their dad away. She might be next.

"[My son] is scared that they're going to take me," she said.

Xotchitl Curiel, whose husband is awaiting deportation, is now raising her four kids on food stamps and her paycheck from a fast-food restaurant. She started her immigration paperwork eight years ago; federal workers told her she might be waiting up to 10 years. Curiel said she is marching for herself and her two older kids who don't have U.S. papers. She also wants Utahns to recognize the important role Latinos play statewide.

"I want people to see we are united," she said. "We want to be here legally."

Melendez said she has hope that immigration reform is coming -- her future depends on it.

"They say for every door that closes, two more open," she said. "But for [undocumented] immigrants, it's for every door that closes two more will close with it."

Sheena McFarland contributed to this report.
    http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_12276193?source=rv

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Sorry that your parents crossed the border illegally and put you in this predicament but your "pathway to citizenship" should be to go back and get in line to come to America. Or you can take what you learned here and contribute major benefits in your home country.

Re: UT:"Immigrants" seek a "fair shot"

Immigrants seek a fair shot
    We have no problem with immigrants. They did things correctly because they are not criminals!

They said they came to march for their parents, friends and children who are some of the 110,000 undocumented (illegals!)immigrants in Utah. They said they want new immigration laws that create a pathway to citizenship for (illegals!) undocumented families. And they said they simply want human rights for all people.
    You want human rights get them in your own country. This is ours and we have a right to our AMERICAN jobs honey!!!

"We are all brothers and sisters in this world," he said. "We should all be working together in this country."
    We are working together?
    We are working to keep get illegal immigrants out!

"They may be waving American flags, but we know that's a contradiction," said Lee Ann Whitaker, who was attending a counterprotest with about 15 people across the street from the park.
    Believe me they stomped and spit on it when you weren't looking.
    They are taking jobs from citizens and burdening the U.S. welfare system.

She wants to stay in Utah, but her U.S.-born kids don't feel accepted here and are upset "the police" took their dad away. She might be next.
    I bet she does want to stay but she is a criminal and needs to be deported NOW!
    Police did their jobs which is to STOP people from coming here ILLEGALLY! Yes, YOU ARE NEXT!

"[My son] is scared that they're going to take me," she said.
    They are.

Xotchitl Curiel, whose husband is awaiting deportation, is now raising her four kids on food stamps and her paycheck from a fast-food restaurant.

That's our foodstamps and not yours. You are NOT our problem.

"I want people to see we are united," she said. "We want to be here legally."
    UNITED??? Yes united being illegally here.

"They say for every door that closes, two more open," she said. "But for (ILLEGAL) [undocumented] immigrants, it's for every door that closes two more will close with it."
    Thank you for that!!!!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

So true, Shocked.
    Isabel Garcia, 34, hasn't seen her husband in five years, since he was deported after working in the United States for 17 years using a fake Social Security number. Garcia, who installs carpet, is now raising their three kids without any public benefits.
    Hubby, an illegal who knew he broke the law, and broke it again by document fraud, knowing he was not able to work here (third broken law) better stay where he is. At least she gets no public assistance.

Xotchitl Curiel, whose husband is awaiting deportation, is now raising her four kids on food stamps and her paycheck from a fast-food restaurant.
    Why does she have the privilege of food stamps? The 14th Amendment must be thrown out the window, because that law alone is making illegals pop out babies as fast as they can to keep from being deported.
    And tromping through the streets wrapped in foreign flags is not necessarily going to get anyone any respect from Americans, especially when people are getting worried about getting sneezed on because of the flu. Carrying a foreign flag is equally sneezing on Americans.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

UT ..just ONE illegal is too many, let’s start w/the usurper & his cronies..!! ;)

no one is above the law..

Ahh geese, let's keep 'em busy..!

I.C.E. www.ice.gov
    Report anonymously if you like, but REPORT!
    866.347.2423 24/7/365!
    More government agencies worth mentioning..!
    F.B.I. www.fbi.gov/homepage.htm
    Border Patrol www.cbp.gov
    D.E.A. www.usdoj.gov/dea/index.htm
    N.S.A. www.nsa.gov/home_html.cfm
    C.I.A. www.cia.gov
    I.R.S. www.irs.gov
    F.C.C. www.fcc.gov REPORT the Spanish Stations aiding & abetting, etc..!
    “..If YOU don’t act, NOTHING Happens..!â€
    No need for ‘mass roundups’, simply ENFORCE EXISTING law*& MANDATE the worker ID, ..but SEVEN amnesties? Hmm, WHO cried wolf?!