Voters ask questions
St. George hopefuls face tough queries
BY TIFFANY DE MASTERS • tdemasters@thespectrum.com • October 29, 2009

Comments 18
ST. GEORGE - Residents put St. George mayoral and city council candidates on the hot seat Wednesday evening as they asked each of them hard-hitting and controversial questions.

Mayoral candidates Ed Baca and Dan McArthur along with city council candidates Suzanne Allen, Gail Bunker, Jimmie Hughes and Ben Nickle answered questions at the Holiday Inn.

One of the questions posed was, will the city support the Chamber of Commerce, asked by a member of the chamber, Nina Heck. Baca said it's important to have a strong viable Chamber of Commerce.

"I think there is moderation needed in all areas," he said.

Bunker, an incumbent, said she supports the Chamber but doesn't think the city can support the Chamber too much.

McArthur, incumbent, said he's pro business and the city supports the Chamber

Nickle said he supports the Chamber but thinks the Chamber crosses the line by endorsing candidates like it has it the past.

Heck said she asked the question because there are people running for council who don't attend Chamber meetings.

"The Chamber supports businesses in the community," she said. "We are separate from the city."

Heck added she didn't think she got a good answer from some of the candidates.

Resident Don Graves raised the question to incumbents on how committed they are about illegal immigration.

Allen, an incumbent, said the council couldn't do a whole lot six years ago.

"Now there's more enforcement and new laws on the books that are good and fair," she said.

Bunker said she's against illegal immigration.

"It's illegal and it's wrong," said. "I do think there are different types of illegal immigrants. There is the type who come here and want to better their lives and then there's the type that commit crimes and bring drugs into our communities, and we should have no leniency on those who do so."

Hughes said a lot of people in the community have a lot of compassion.

"We cannot pile everyone into our lifeboat," he said. "This is a national problem, but we could do some things as a city to take (care) of the health and safety of the community."

Nickle said the issue of illegal immigration didn't become an issue until he brought it up last year when he ran for city council.

"I think you're (addressing Graves) justified in asking how committed the candidates are," he said.

Baca added the issue of illegal immigration has remained dormant.

"The mayor has had us on the fast track of becoming a sanctuary city and council members were rubber-stamping his decision," he said.

McArthur said St. George is one of the most progressive communities in the state with officers at Purgatory Correctional Facility who have training in Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Graves said he brought the question up because four out of the five murders committed in Washington County were allegedly committed by illegal immigrants.

"I love my country," he said. "I don't want the character of our community degraded to a Los Angeles or a Phoenix."

At the end of the Q&A each candidate was given a chance to give a closing statement.

Hughes said things have been good but he's saying he can be part of making it better.

"When you vote Jimmie Hughes you're not disrespecting the incumbents, you're thanking them for their service," he said.

Allen said she's been apart of a lot of projects, the airport being one of them.

"I would like to see that through," she said.

Nickle thanked everyone in the audience for being at the debate.

"Apathy is something we have a problem with in this country," he said. "The council has done a good job but it's time to see some different faces."

Bunker said the city has had a lot of home runs with all the different projects that have been completed.

"I have enjoyed totally serving on the council and I've tried to serve the citizens," she said. "I'm an open book."

Bunker added there isn't another mayor more dedicated than McArthur.

McArthur said he likes what's happening in the city.

"If it's good for family then I'm for it," he said.

Baca said he believes the founding fathers were right.

"They did not intend to have a mayor in office for 25 years," he said.

http://www.thespectrum.com/article/2009 ... /910290328