Leader of Utah Latinos works to serve others

By Chelsea Warren - 2 Dec 2008

Photo courtesy of Utahlatinos.com
Tony Yapias (right) discusses current issues on his weekly radio show Pulso Latino on Radio Exitos 1150 AM.

As a high school student representing his home town of Evanston, Wyo., community activist Tony Yapias traveled to Washington, D.C., for an event that would shape his future and mission in the public arena.

"Congressman Dick Cheney met with me for an hour and he said something that I will always remember," Yapias said. "He told me, 'Tony, your community will need you someday, will need Hispanics like you to be great leaders.'"

To live up to this calling, Yapias' entire life revolves around his mission statement: "making sure that the people who need help get it."

As Utah continues heated debates on immigration policy reform, other issues in the Latino community often go uncovered, such as the increasing rate of Latino high school dropouts and the need for higher education opportunities.

To make sure such concerns do not go unvoiced, community activists such as Yapias make sure that tough issues are addressed and that the underrepresented find a voice.

"People come to (the United States), living in the shadows," Yapias said. "We want to let the community know we will advocate for them."

Friend and former co-worker Leticia Medina, executive director of Colors of Success, said Yapias possesses a fearlessness that enables him to be such an advocate.

"He tackles tough issues where people often don't want to say publicly what position they have," Medina said. "He isn't afraid to get mud in the face, for as he says, 'I am not here for good looks, just to get people the help they need.'"

Yapias' path to activism and leadership roles began many years ago, as a youth who immigrated from Junin, Peru, trying to make a future for himself in America.

"My dad knew he wanted us to have a good education and to be somebody," Yapias said. "My parents constantly encouraged us to learn English and to be involved. We wanted to make our parents proud."

In order to pursue his passion of international relations, Yapias came to BYU, where he said he was inspired by the school theme, "Enter to learn, Go forth to serve." At BYU he honed his leadership skills by serving on the student advisory council and participating in immigration reform advocacy during two internships to Washington, D.C.

"During one trip to D.C., I was asked to talk with at-risk youth of the importance of education," Yapias said. "When I met these kids and saw how I could be a good role model for them, that was when my real activism began."

Yapias, now a Provo resident, has worked in numerous positions in the community, including a juvenile court probation officer, a reporter for the Daily Herald, director of the Office of Hispanic Affairs and the founder and director of Proyecto Latino de Utah. Often in the public eye, Yapias found supporters and critics abounded.

"I get threatened on every side," Yapias said. "You can't take it personally. You have to be strong and have a thick skin."

Gonzalo Palza, chief executive officer for the Centro de la Familia, said Yapias' sincerity and love of the people help him form relationships of respect with even the most ardent of critics.

"He is loud in his advocacy and for that, people opposing him don't like him," Palza said. "But they respect him and will always come over to say hi, even if they are opponents."

Yapias said respecting one another is so important when it comes to public affairs to prevent extremism and embittered feelings.

"I respect and admire my opponents and even though we have different perspectives, we are human beings and we have to treat one another with respect," Yapias said. "That difference between us is what makes this country so great."

When Yapias is not involved in the community, he enjoys taking pictures and is a confessed "news junkie" who reads about a dozen newspapers each day to stay informed.

Colleagues of Yapias agree this father of five often takes on so much on his plate, his life becomes a tricky balancing act.

"He is very involved and committed and it is challenging to balance family and community life," Medina said. "It hasn't been easy for him and he has sacrificed a lot. But he has been able to do it."

Yapias continues his work of advocacy through a weekly radio program, regular contributions to the Spanish newspaper El Estandar and by facilitating after-school programs through the Boy Scouts for at-risk Latino youth in Salt Lake.

Yapias said there is great optimism to overcome differences and is always looking to further his public activism.

"I am very optimistic that we will be able to overcome racial issues," Yapias said. "I just want to finish the job that we have started."

Copyright Brigham Young University 2 Dec 2008

http://nn.byu.edu/story.cfm/70430