Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Utah State Fair celebrates Mexican Independence day; ignores

Utah State Fair celebrates Mexican Independence day; ignores Constitution Day
    examiner.com
    Ronald Mortensen
    Salt Lake City Tea Party Examiner
    September 20, 2011

On September 17, Mexican Independence was celebrated at the Utah State Fair while Constitution Day, which commemorates the formation and signing of the U.S. Constitution, was ignored.

The Deseret News and its sister newspaper, El Observador de Utah, sponsored, promoted and covered the Mexican Independence Day celebration. No similar sponsorship, promotion or coverage of local Constitution Day events was found in a search of the Deseret News website.

Utah’s four Latino legislators also joined in the celebration of Mexican Independence.

Following the event in an article titled, Utah State Fair turns into a Mexican Fiesta, the Deseret News, reported:
    "¡Viva Mexico!" was shouted Saturday night in Utah by the Mexican Consul Socorro Rovirosa and repeated by hundreds at the State Fair, crowning the ceremony of the Mexican independence, "El Grito" (The Shout).

"I want to thank all for being here in a very important ceremony for all the Mexican community," she said.

Rovirosa invited all the Mexicans in Utah to feel proud of their origins and to keep their culture and traditions, even if they are away from their country.

Fiesta Mexicana was complete with live entertainment, including singer Jorge Alfredo Cervantes from Guanajuato, Mexico, and other local bands.

Senators Luz Robles and Ross Romero and Representatives Mark Archuleta-Wheatley and Rebecca Chavez-Houck spoke to the attendees as the four Latino members of the Utah Legislature.
    The only mention of a constitution was a statement by Fiesta Mexicana president, Jesse Soriano who told the Deseret News that: “It is especially important that Utahns learn about Mexican history and culture because their respective histories are intertwined. Mexico's Constitution, for instance, is modeled after the United States', Soriano said. "I happen to think, as an old history teacher, that our histories are so interrelated we ought to teach Mexican history along with American history," he said.

In a Facebook Post, Gina Worthen wrote: “I don't understand why the Utah State Fair is hosting this official affair which included the Mexican consulate. Especially on Sept. 17, which is the anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution. I looked at the Fair's schedule and did not see any commemoration of the Constitution.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They celebrated that here, in front of the Federal courthouse not one "American Flag" to be found nowhere! The rich bring them here and the poor pay for they're up keep, well no wonder I can't afford to buy my son the "GI JOE" with the Kung-Fu grip for Christmas, Oh! shoot I'm sorry, I forgot Al Qaeda Sleigh Bombed Santee Claus last Christmas! "My bad!" What's next Easter Bunny Stew!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn