Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Utahns want crackdown on illegal immigration

Utahns want crackdown on illegal immigration
    Copyright 2007 Deseret Morning News
    By Deborah Bulkeley and Nancy Perkins
    Deseret Morning News

Published: October 7, 2007
    A new statewide Deseret Morning News/KSL-TV poll suggests most Utahns want their state and local lawmakers to crack down on illegal immigration.
    Some 70 percent of 409 registered voters said they'd be more likely to vote for candidates who advocate a tough stand on illegal immigration through new laws, according to a survey conducted by Dan Jones & Associates. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percent.

Only 18 percent said they'd be less likely to vote for a get-tough candidate. Another 11 percent said they didn't know.

The results seem to indicate most people recognize a problem and want a solution, said Kirk Jowers, director of the Hinckley Institute of Politics.

"I think what the question does not answer is what form that solution will take," he said. "Utahns have shown they are sympathetic to the children of illegal immigrants and giving them opportunities, but they certainly want people to abide by the law and favor legal immigrants over illegal immigrants."

When broken down along party lines, the strongest support for get-tough candidates was among Republicans, at 77 percent. But a majority of Democrats (56 percent) and independents (67 percent) also said they'd be more likely to vote for a get-tough candidate.

Pollster Dan Jones said the issue is a very complicated one that crosses party lines and is "a very emotional issue."

Jowers said the poll comes after federal lawmakers have continually failed to address the issue. In the meantime, some other states are starting to crack down. Jowers said that is creating a perception, which may or may not be true, that states that don't crack down will see an influx of illegal immigrants.

"It is a scary combination of federal inaction and public frustration with the immigration problem," he said. "The state is between a rock and a hard place."

Senate Majority Leader Curt Bramble, R-Provo, said that for the past two years state lawmakers have been reluctant to act because of impending federal legislation. However, federal action now seems less likely.

"Do we need a comprehensive proposal addressing immigration? The answer is yes," Bramble said. "The federal government has passed on it.... I would hope we have the courage in the Legislature to address the issue, and address the issue in a fair and equitable way."

In Washington County, Sen. Bill Hickman, R-St. George, recently announced plans for an immigration measure modeled after one of the toughest such state measures in the country, and the Washington County Republican Women recently voted overwhelmingly to encourage such legislation.

Bramble declined to comment on how the Oklahoma legislation might impact Utah until he could review Hickman's proposal. He did say Oklahoma "is trying to take a comprehensive approach. They are trying to take a tough stand; they're trying to do what the federal government should have been doing."

In St. George, City Councilman Rod Orton says illegal immigration is already impacting elections. He blames the issue for his recent primary loss, which cut short his bid for re-election.

"I think it determined the election," Orton said. "There's no question that it had an impact."

Three candidates vying for a first-time seat on the St. George City Council who did pass the primary are supported by two groups that oppose illegal immigration: the political action committee called Defend Dixie and the group Citizens Council Against Illegal Immigration.

Among those candidates is Ed Baca, a retired police officer from California.

"That is one of the biggest issues facing us," Baca said. "The federal government's not doing anything about it. It's a hot-button issue, and you can't shy away from it," Baca said.

Both political action groups have argued that St. George is becoming a "sanctuary city" for illegal immigration, citing an influx of Hispanic residents and an increase in the school system of Spanish-speaking children.

But Orton said St. George already has done what it can to address the issue of illegal immigration. He said many residents seemed to be infuriated when he expressed that view on a recent radio call-in program.

"I was ready to talk about some of the most critical campaign issues facing our city in years," Orton said. "Issues like building major beltways around the city, building a new airport and economic development, but no one would ask me those kinds of questions. They all wanted to talk about illegal immigration."

The issue is also one that Rep. Glenn Donnelson, R-North Ogden, says his constituents want him to address. Donnelson has in the past sponsored bills to get tough on illegal immigrants, including a bill to repeal a state law that allows qualified undocumented students to pay in-state tuition.

"If we had enforced the law way back when, we wouldn't be having this problem now," Donnelson said. "We're trying to correct it now, and it's hard.... The federal government, they haven't got the guts to do anything about it."

But Antonella Romero Packard, co-chairwoman of the Utah Hispanic Legislative Task Force, worries that justified frustration over the federal government's failure would lead to unjust and overly broad punitive legislation.

"It is disheartening," she said. "We're bracing ourselves for some nasty pieces of legislation that may be coming our way."

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695216517,00.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

UT ..just ONE illegal is too many, let’s start w/the usurper & his cronies..!! ;)

Re: Utahns want crackdown on illegal immigration

Ahh.. boo hoo.. Orton caught on the hard way, he LOST!

GOOD! I hope ALL the candidates ‘catch’ THE drift..

HINT HINT!!

When I went to my first caucus meeting, two years ago, just to become a delegate, for THIS very reason, THAT question was burning me up too!

I simply found by BRINGING IT UP caught the attention of ALL the others at that meeting! EVERYONE had the same feelings and thoughts! Needless to say, I'm a delegate now, and we voted OUT the local sheriff, and a few others..

Hmm.. I wonder who's next?!

PS: when one joins [url="http://www.NumbersUSA.com"]www.NumbersUSA.comthey’ll even SEND you their ‘business’ cards for free! I've only handed out 300+ ..SO FAR.. Hmm.. I wonder how much of an impact that has made..?!

So everybody, join up with the above, call them and get your cards today!

Oh.. and DUH.. become a delegate! :P

Nice day all!
    R

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    "I was ready to talk about some of the most critical campaign issues facing our city in years," Orton said. "Issues like building major beltways around the city, building a new airport and economic development, but no one would ask me those kinds of questions. They all wanted to talk about illegal immigration."
    Last edited by Jean; 07-21-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    No need for ‘mass roundups’, simply ENFORCE EXISTING law*& MANDATE the worker ID, ..but SEVEN amnesties? Hmm, WHO cried wolf?!

But Antonella Romero Packard, co-chairwoman of the Utah Hispanic Legislative Task Force, worries that justified frustration over the federal government's failure would lead to unjust and overly broad punitive legislation.

There is nothing unjust and punitive about expecting illegal immigrants to be sent home.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

UT ..just ONE illegal is too many, let’s start w/the usurper & his cronies..!! ;)

Just throw THEIR ‘race’ card back in THEIR face, explaining it's NOT about race OR ethnicity, DUH, it's about Nationality, AKA the LAW!

PS: Excellent website, it's in my favorites..

..and Terminology... is everything!

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath

~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing unjust and punitive about expecting illegal MIGRANTS to be sent home.
    No need for ‘mass roundups’, simply ENFORCE EXISTING law*& MANDATE the worker ID, ..but SEVEN amnesties? Hmm, WHO cried wolf?!