Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 1:55 pm | Updated: 5:54 pm, Mon Apr 22, 2013.
Stafford County Sun

When asked about his political record as chairman of the Prince William Board of County Supervisors, Corey A. Stewart cuts right to the chase.

“I have been able to successfully implement a conservative agenda in the commonwealth’s second largest county all while still winning in a swing county by increasing margins,” Stewart said.

During his 10-year tenure, Stewart has cut $143 million in spending from the county budget, eliminating 320 government positions and cutting taxes 8.5 percent, he said.

But he may be best known for his tough stance on immigration, making national headlines when he helped implement an ordinance that requires county law enforcement officers to verify the immigration background of everyone they arrest.

Stewart said that since 2007, the county has handed more than 6,000 immigrants over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for deportation.

“These are the type of conservative policies I intend to continue as the next lieutenant governor,” he said. “I believe the lieutenant governor’s position has the ability to be more than it has been in the past.”

In the Senate, Stewart said, he would use “the bully pulpit” of the lieutenant governor’s position to make sure a budget is passed that “prioritizes spending on core government functions and gets the commonwealth out of the business of spending money on social welfare programs that we expect out of Washington.”

Stewart opposes Gov. Bob McDonnell’s transportation legislation because he considers it a tax increase on all Virginians.

“The state budget has grown by 66 percent over the last decade and only 5 percent of that new money has gone toward transportation,” Stewart said.

Stewart said he has made transportation a priority in Prince William by financing $300 million in road projects while cutting taxes.

Stewart said he can help beat the presumptive Democratic nominee for governor, Terry McAuliffe, on Election Day. “I won 58 percent of the vote (in Prince William ) just a year before Barack Obama did in 2012,” he said. “I have proven to be a solid fundraiser, and I can help Ken Cuccinelli raise funds to combat the New York and Hollywood money that is going to flood Virginia.”

http://www.staffordcountysun.com/art...9bb30f31a.html