Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

VA: Herndon Considers No Illegal Immigrant Labor Center

nbc4.com
    Herndon Considers No Illegal Immigrant Labor Center

POSTED: 10:37 am EDT July 2, 2007

HERNDON, Va. -- Officials in the town of Herndon, Va., are considering proposals for a new day-labor site that would ban illegal immigrants.

Herndon spokeswoman Anne Curtis said proposals from two new groups would check workers' immigration status before allowing them to use the center. The center is partially funded with taxpayer money.

The new groups want to replace the nonprofit group that operates the current center. That group, Project Hope and Harmony, does not mandate proof of legal status.

One of the founders of a group that formed to protest the day-labor center said he has submitted a proposal to run the center. Dennis Baughan said high-school dropouts, juvenile offenders, unemployment agencies and other groups with special needs could use it.

Critics of the town's plan said it will push immigrant workers to go back to seeking work on the streets or in parking lots, which is why the center was created in 2005.
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/13605869/de...ss=dc&psp=news

HERNDON, Va. -- Officials in the town of Herndon, Va., are considering proposals for a new day-labor site that would ban illegal immigrants.
    Then what's the point of having a day labor center in the first place? We all know it's primarily illegal aliens who seek out day labor.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Quote Originally Posted by americangirl
    Then what's the point of having a day labor center in he first place? We all know it's primarily illegal aliens who seek out day labor.
    One of the founders of a group that formed to protest the day-labor center said he has submitted a proposal to run the center. Dennis Baughan said high-school dropouts, juvenile offenders, unemployment agencies and other groups with special needs could use it.
    AMERICANS

I'd like to be able to hire some legal citizens now and again to do some of the chores around our propery. My husband has a bad back, so I have a hard time getting some things done. But I'll let my house ROT TO THE GROUND before I hire an illegal!