Herndon looks at anti-day-laborer measures
Fairfax County
By Gregg MacDonald
Source: Fairfax County Times
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 15 2008

The Town of Herndon is again considering measures to further hinder day-laborers from congregating in certain areas of the town.

Herndon already strictly enforces zoning regulations that prohibit worker assembly sites on land not zoned accordingly.

On Oct. 7, Town Attorney Richard Kaufman made four recommendations to the Herndon Town Council based upon a Sept. 9 memo that suggested, among other ideas, the hiring of security guards at the town's expense.

Kaufman outlined that particular suggestion, saying the town would "pay for, control and operate the program."

"This would provide order and definition," he surmised.

The majority of the council vocally opposed the idea, which, according to the Sept. 9 memo, could cost up to $156,000 a year.

Councilman Dave Kirby remarked that he preferred measures that would cost taxpayers the least amount of money. "That's my first objective," he stated.

Kaufman also suggested that the town recognize an unofficial site along Alabama Drive Park, where laborers gather, as an official hiring site. This would allow the town to enforce its now-defunct anti-solicitation ordinance.

Kaufman said that by recognizing the site and putting up signs disallowing congregation in other venues, this measure could at least "control," if not "solve" the day laborer issue.

Councilman Dennis Husch commented: "I won't support any initiative that uses public funds to abet solicitation of illegal workers."

Kirby added that a sanctioned site "would be a magnet for more day laborers," and Vice Mayor Connie Hutchinson called the idea "a last resort."

Kaufman's suggestion of establishing an official hiring site, potentially outside of town limits, also was not well received.

The proposal that seemed to garner the most interest within the council is implementing educational objectives and requiring the use of federal I-9 forms, which employers use to verify employees' identity and establish that workers are eligible to accept employment in the United States.

Employers are required to have their workers fill out the form upon being hired. Kaufman said implementing this program would "enable the town to ask the federal government to enforce federal law."

www.fairfaxtimes.com