Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

VA: Hispanics rally against racial profiling by local police

Hispanics rally against racial profiling by local police

By MIKE CHERNEY, The Virginian-Pilot
    © June 30, 2007

NEWPORT NEWS

Shorty Melendez was driving here about three months ago when her daughter waved at a police officer from the back seat.

When the officer pulled her over, he pointed at the Puerto Rican flag hanging on her rearview mirror. He told her it was illegal to hang items from the mirror, and gave her a warning.

Melendez, a 44-year-old outreach worker from Newport News , thinks she was profiled for being Hispanic. She joined about two dozen others Friday afternoon to protest what they say has been an increase in Hispanic profiling by Hampton Roads police departments.

Children waved American flags and held placards at the rally, which was organized by the local action group Politica Empowerment of Hampton Roads and took place outside the Newport News Jail .

“A unified community cannot be overcome,â€

Officials from the Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Newport News police departments said Friday that none of their officers engaged in racial profiling, noting that the practice is illegal.
    Maybe profiling should be allowed in extreme cases like ILLEGALS

It is a matter of HOMELAND SECIURITY

We should risk giving up our country (or having it terrorized) because racial profiling is a crime?

This kind of law is sensible but not in the extreme.

Is there a way to tackle this?

These kinds of laws are used as excuses and shields by the guilty!

Is there a way to tackle this?
    Getting rid of the ACLU would be a starting point.

I don't understand her point in claiming that she was pulled over after her child waved to the officer?

And yes, I'm absolutely certain that the officer, who was traveling behind her, was able to ascertain from that distance that whatever was hanging from her mirror was a Puerto Rican flag and decided "Oh, well that just does it....a Puerto Rican flag and a Hispanic kid waving at me, well I'll just show them!!"

And, doesn't it make sense that if this was a race issue, for Pete's sake, he would've cited her and not just given her a warning?

Why don't these people just STOP already?????

Kudos to Gabe Morgan for standing up to the protestors and holding his ground because that's all their hoping to do.....keep up their foolish accusations, mob mentality marches, protests, and rallies, and hope that people will cave.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Because when all else fails you play the race card.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost

Unfortunately, yes, and they just continue to hammer away at it, don't they?

What gets me is that they don't seem to understand that the race issue was resolved how many years ago? It's not even an issue anymore. But, I guess they missed it being so wrapped up in creating their own fictious history of this country instead of bothering to read an accurate account.

They're like children......the more they nag and throw their tantrums, the more everyone ignores them. I say we send them all to their rooms back in their own countries.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost

Unfortunately, yes, and they just continue to hammer away at it, don't they?

What gets me is that they don't seem to understand that the race issue was resolved how many years ago? It's not even an issue anymore. But, I guess they missed it being so wrapped up in creating their own fictious history of this country instead of bothering to read an accurate account.

They're like children......the more they nag and throw their tantrums, the more everyone ignores them. I say we send them all to their rooms back in their own countries.
    They are not "like children" mentally THEY ARE CHILDREN and that is what is scariest of all. They have the mentality of silly putty and are extremely moldable as exhibited by the multitude of racist groups that have sprung up here in the US brainwashing their masses and are being funded by our tax dollars. I'm sure many of us can list at least a hundred scenarios where their lack of reality comes into play in terms of how a lawful country operates. Just the fact that they discard reality when it suits their needs in so many instances whereas if an American ignored the laws, rules and regulations we would be penalized and punished severely.

What's even scarier are the elected hispanic officials who no matter what defend the defenseless lawlessness and with whom RACE TRUMPS EVERYTHING.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

“A unified community cannot be overcome,â€