Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar

VA: No Fixation on Immigration

This is BS. Most of the Dems were running, in part, on anti-illegal immigration platforms. The post is trying to make it sound like Northern VA voters don't care very much about immigration. This stupid headline is on the front page of the Washington Post. They need to get new writers.

In the Ballot Booths, No Fixation on Immigration

By Amy Gardner
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007; Page A01

Voters across Virginia chose candidates in state and local elections yesterday not out of anger over illegal immigration but based on party affiliation, a preference for moderation and strong views on such key issues as residential growth and traffic congestion.

With a few notable exceptions, the trend benefited Democrats and not those who campaigned the loudest for tough sanctions against illegal immigrants.

Fairfax County continued its transformation into solid Democratic territory, with as many as five legislative seats poised to fall out of Republican control. In Loudoun County, Democrats who campaigned on a promise to slow residential growth took over the county board. Even in Prince William County, where the board's chairman, Corey L. Stewart (R), won easily on a vow to crack down against illegal immigrants, the volatile issue was tempered by the victory of state Sen. Charles J. Colgan (D-Manassas), who had been painted as soft on the issue.

The returns provided the sharpest evidence yet that Democratic gains in recent state elections represented more than a temporary dip in Republicans' popularity. Yesterday's initial results showed that a more long-term structural realignment may be occurring and that voters are increasingly drawn by Democrats' promises to improve schools and ease traffic and away from Republican conservatism on such issues as taxes and social policy, particularly in fast-growing Northern Virginia.

"I did not think that immigration in and of itself would carry the day," said Sen. Richard L. Saslaw (Fairfax), who would become majority leader under Democratic control. "The results are proving that, while immigration is a concern to people -- and it should be -- it is not returning the votes that they thought that it would."

To read the rest of article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 7110700119

The Washington Post has always been pro-illegal! I live in Prince William County -- the votes were definitely about illegal immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by skymeadows
    The Washington Post has always been pro-illegal! I live in Prince William County -- the votes were definitely about illegal immigration.

You may want to inform Sen. Richard L. Saslaw (Fairfax)

You've got to be kidding! Saslow's from Fairfax County - enough said.

But, I will make sure I let him know how I feel.