Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

VA passes law similiar to AZ Proposition 200

Virginia counties decry alien bill
    3/29/2005
    By Christina Bellantoni
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    Topics: legislation, proposition 200, AZ, VA, Republicans, Democrats, campaigns, Americans

Arlington and Fairfax county and Alexandria government officials say they want an exemption from a proposed state law that would prevent illegal aliens from receiving local health care benefits.

Read the latest headlines about illegal immigration.

Virginia Gov. Mark Warner, a Democrat, has until midnight tonight to take action on the measure, which passed both chambers of the Republican-controlled General Assembly with a veto-proof majority.

The legislation also would forbid state agencies from giving benefits such as Medicaid and welfare to illegals.

The measure would require that both state and local governments verify the legal presence of an immigrant before providing any nonemergency public benefits. Local governments said the bill would require them to deny access to subsidized health care, free clinics and homeless shelters for adult aliens.

In separate letters to Mr. Warner, the officials asked that local governments be excused entirely from the measure.

Arlington County Board member J. Walter Tejada said the bill "erodes" local authority.

"We know best our community and feel that we ought to be able to serve all the members of our community in the best way that we can," said Mr. Tejada, a Democrat. "The neediest are always targeted by conservative legislators."

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Gerald E. Connolly, a Democrat, said the "restriction" should not be applied to local health and public welfare services, "which are created to address local needs and are supported with local-only funds."

Mr. Connolly said the board opposes the measure in its entirety, and asked the governor to remove all references to local governments from the bill.

"I can't believe it," said Delegate David B. Albo, a Fairfax County Republican and a sponsor of the bill. "It is completely outrageous that these local governments are increasing property taxes and crying that they don't have enough money but they want to be able to give illegal aliens taxpayer-funded services."

If the governor proposes an amendment to remove localities from the measure, Mr. Albo vowed to "make a huge stink."

The bill, also sponsored by Sen. Emmett W. Hanger Jr., applies only to aliens 19 and older. Illegals of any age still will be eligible for emergency aid, such as immunizations and pregnancy tests.

The measure would require people to provide documents to prove legal presence when requesting benefits. The documents allowed would match those required to obtain a driver's license under a law passed by the General Assembly two years ago.

Jack Powers, director of community programs in Alexandria, said the city does not have the money or people to check for illegal immigrants.

"This is just too far-reaching," Mr. Powers said yesterday. "Where would the resources come from to do this additional screening?"

He worried the city could be held in violation for providing access to soup kitchens, homeless shelters and crisis counseling.

Mr. Hanger, Augusta County Republican who is seeking the GOP nomination for lieutenant governor, said he does not support excluding local governments from the law.

"We're all serving the same taxpayers," he said. "If they want to be silly enough to spend taxpayer dollars in Fairfax County on illegal immigrants over the citizens of the Commonwealth, I would think the taxpaying citizens of the Commonwealth would have a real problem with that."

Read entire article here
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... le&sid=305
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It was signed last night by Gov Warner. Thank God, my state of residency will cease to become Virginiafornia despite opposition from some very out of step, out of touch with reality Sociorats from the Democratic party up North.

Arlington County Board member J. Walter Tejada said the bill "erodes" local authority.

"We know best our community and feel that we ought to be able to serve all the members of our community in the best way that we can," said Mr. Tejada, a Democrat. "The neediest are always targeted by conservative legislators."
    Is this the typical elitiest attitude or what? Oh we know what's best for the people better than they do. Let me get this straight. You Mr Tejada think that your pessantly little board membership should exceed the authority of state law. You think that you should be above the will of the people and the state government. How arrogant can one be?

"I can't believe it," said Delegate David B. Albo, a Fairfax County Republican and a sponsor of the bill. "It is completely outrageous that these local governments are increasing property taxes and crying that they don't have enough money but they want to be able to give illegal aliens taxpayer-funded services."
    Exactly. Stop whining about needing more money Dimorats when you keep spending what little we have on those who have no legal right to be here. We have seniors and babies who are citizens and have no health issurance. We have tons of homeless people including some honorable vets who can't even get a meal on certain nights. We have thousands of unemployed citizens in this state and yet you Dims want to spend our hard earned money on these leeches. Great idea dimwits. NOT! The state needs to start withholding funds from these localities who think they are above the law and the will of the people.

I'm so glad that Gov Warner signed the bill without amendments. We don't need to become the welfare state of the world. We don't need to be used as an ATM for the third world.

My message to the Dimorats is this. If you ever want to regain power and have people vote for you again then you need to pull your heads out of the sand, listen to what the people truly want and stop with this hispandering nonsense.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Time to Hit the NC reps again

Starting tomorrow (since I have gotten the puter back working correctly) I am going to go on the war trail again. I am going to email all those fine folks in Raleigh the "represent" me. I am going to send the orginal artical of "proposition 200, AZ, VA" and tell them since NC can no longer lead then atleast follow AZ and Va. Represent our legal citizens not the illegal invaders.
    Anyone from NC wanting to come along here is the web site to get their email address.

http://www.ncleg.net/homePage.pl
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)