Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Vicente Fox visits Monterey County

Vicente Fox visits Monterey County
    By VICTOR CALDERON
    The Salinas Californian

CARMEL VALLEY - Monterey County's many riches include its residents of Mexican origin, former Mexican President Vicente Fox said Thursday during a private garden party in Carmel Valley.

"This is a beautiful region," Fox said inside the home of philanthropists Jose and Bobbi Buenrostro. "I feel a compatriotship with the Mexican people here who have helped build this county and make it thrive today."

Fox, Mexico's president from 2000-06, visited the Buenrostros' home with his wife, Marta Sahagún de Fox, to speak with community leaders about building partnerships with Mexico. His last formal visit to the county came before his presidency.

More than 100 people attended the fiesta, which included mariachi music, in the hills overlooking Carmel Valley. The former president's visit is part of a three-week U.S. tour to promote stronger economic and diplomatic ties with Mexico. He's also on a book tour for his autobiography, "Revolution of Hope," and has held fundraisers for his planned presidential library in Guanajuato, Mexico, the first in the country's history.

Jose Buenrostro is a Carmel-based general building contractor who owns Sonador Construction Inc. He's also an accomplished mariachi musician who has founded a 501(c)3 nonprofit division of his corporation called Sonadores Inc.

"Sonadores" is Spanish for "dreamers."

"It's an honor to host Presidente Fox today," said Buenrostro, who invited the former president to his home after the two met in San Jose two weeks ago. "Our goal is to have a cultural exchange program through his library, to bring people from Mexico here to visit and vice versa."

Upon his election, Fox, a member of the National Action Party, became the first candidate in more than 70 years to break the Institutional Revolutionary Party's hold on the presidency, which some have called a dictatorship. He was succeeded last year by President Felipe Calderón, also of the National Action Party.

Immigration has become a hot topic since Fox's presidency, and he has said he opposes the wall under construction to separate the United States from Mexico.

"Instead of walls, we need to build bridges between the two countries," he said. "There needs to be an immigration reform that benefits both the U.S. and Mexico."

Fox criticized CNN talk-show host Lou Dobbs for his comments that the Mexican government hasn't done enough to improve the quality of life for Mexicans to keep them from emigrating to the United States for higher-paying jobs.

"The Mexican government is not encouraging the people to come here," he said. "It's that this economy offers them jobs in agriculture, construction, restaurants and hotels, and Mexicans are vital to the local economy, while sending money back home."

Fox said he sees a bright future ahead for the country where he rose to become president of Coca Cola Mexico and governor of the state of Guanajuato before assuming its highest office.

"Mexico has found its path to democracy," he said. "We ended a dictatorship, and now the future of Mexico is rooted in liberty and a more solid economy."
    http://www.californianonline.com/apps/p ... 60305/1002
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm convinced Fox is HOUSE HUNTING!!!

"Mexico has found its path to democracy," he said. "We ended a dictatorship, and now the future of Mexico is rooted in liberty and a more solid economy."

That solid economy being that of the USA. Sorry but we Americans will fight to keep it OURS!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

(((("Mexico has found its path to democracy," he said. "We ended a dictatorship, and now the future of Mexico is rooted in liberty and a more solid economy))))

I liked Mexico better when they were under a dictatorship. I wish Vicente would just park his butt back in his own country and stay out of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMe
    I'm convinced Fox is HOUSE HUNTING!!!
    Well, then America should have the same rules that Mexico has with real estate. Mexicans cannot own beachfront property.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I was born and raised in Monterey CA. It is a beautiful place with alot of history. I believe it was here that Spain surrendered to America. I do know it was the first capitol of California. Their are alot of well preserved Spanish buildings. Yes we embraced the Hispanic community, shared our cultures and had fiestas at Carmel Mission. The difference is we shared the melding of two cultures into being Californians. We learned and understood our History, we didn't have racist groups like LaRaz and Mecha distorting the truth. This was the American Hispanics, not a bunch of illegal immigrants trying to invade our country.

It makes me sick to think of Fox polluting the very air in Monterey.

Isn't his 3 weeks here about up, sure seems longer to me!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PLEASE TAKE ACTION!!!!
    STOP THE MEXICAN TRUCKS and NO DRIVERS LICENSE FOR ILLEGALS
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-90780.html
    HELP GLENN BECK "60 DAYS IN LARADO"
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-90778.html
    WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT ALIPAC Please Contribute!!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=C ... page&pid=9
    Contact Info...Senators, Representatives & USEFUL INFORMATION
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=384761
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I
    SOSADFORUS
    PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:33 pm Post subject:
    Isn't his 3 weeks here about up, sure seems longer to me!!

Hmmm...by george, your right...it sure looks like he has been here over a month or so, and not just 3 weeks.

"Instead of walls, we need to build bridges between the two countries,"
    Well Senor Foxhole...if you haven't notice but our bridges are falling down. However, this type of bridge your asking I would gladly see fall down.

"Our goal is to have a cultural exchange
    I think we already have a cultural exchange...and that is your drug smugglers.

Quote Originally Posted by MontereySherry
    I was born and raised in Monterey CA. It is a beautiful place with alot of history. I believe it was here that Spain surrendered to America. I do know it was the first capitol of California. Their are alot of well preserved Spanish buildings. Yes we embraced the Hispanic community, shared our cultures and had fiestas at Carmel Mission. The difference is we shared the melding of two cultures into being Californians. We learned and understood our History, we didn't have racist groups like LaRaz and Mecha distorting the truth. This was the American Hispanics, not a bunch of illegal immigrants trying to invade our country.

It makes me sick to think of Fox polluting the very air in Monterey.
    What a difference 30 years has made! I, too, remember the beauty of Monterrey and the melding of the two cultures and embraced it thoroughly. When my kids were young we visited all of the CA Missions and enjoyed the Spanish traditions. It was such a treat! But, sadly, only small vestiges of the Spanish explorers and trailblazers remain...it's just a third world junk yard now!