Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Vigil set to halt migrant's deportation

Vigil set to halt migrant's deportation

August 14, 2006

BY ESTHER J. CEPEDA Staff Reporter

Assurances from friends and relatives sealed Elvira Arellano's fate.

Their stories led her to believe that if she were caught trying to cross into the United States illegally there would be no consequences -- aside from the hassle of having to try again.

She learned her lesson the hard way. Unless something changes in the next 24 hours, Arellano, 31, will have to report to Immigration Services on Tuesday morning for a trip back to Mexico.

This evening, she and a legion of supporters will pray she'll be able to stay during a mass vigil in front of the Immigration Services office.

"When I came through in August of 1997 -- the first time, with a fake ID . . . I was detained and sent back home," Arellano said in Spanish. "But I didn't know it was considered a deportation. Three days later I got over by just walking through a town."

After a three-year stop in Oregon, where she settled into a new life complete with a driver's license and a good job, she traveled with her son to Chicago in 2000.

Here, she worked as a cleaning lady at O'Hare Airport until 2002, when she was arrested and subsequently convicted in federal court for working under a false Social Security number.

With the help of Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) and various community groups, Arellano secured four one-year extensions to stay in the United States. They enabled her to get a legal Social Security card, Illinois driver's license and work permit. But she's still ineligible for citizenship because of her first arrest.

'I've worked hard'

Now that her fourth extension is set to expire, Arellano is hoping bills Durbin and Gutierrez have introduced in Congress will allow her to remain here legally. None has been signed into law so far.

The situation infuriates Arellano, who says she would make a model American just like her son, who was born here.

"I've worked hard, paid my taxes, never even took Medicaid," Arellano said. "My son is a U.S. citizen and I'm raising him to fight for the rights of others. We need to stay."

"I'm not sure there is a finite list of criteria for what would make the federal government change Mrs. Arellano's situation, but that type of exception is used only in extraordinary circumstances that involve life and death," said Tim Counts, spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

'What about my son?'

To Arellano, going back is a matter of life and death.

"I can't go back, I have no job there, I have no savings, and what will I be able to take in one suitcase?" she said. "What about my son? He's ready to go to second grade, and in Mexico I won't even be able to feed him."

Immigration officials say that's not enough to waive the laws in her favor.

"The authority given by Congress was never intended to be a way to do an end run around a federal judge's deportation order," Counts said. "We're required to enforce the nation's immigration laws and ensure they're applied fairly without regard for a person's ability to generate public support."

ecepeda@suntimes.com

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst ... ig14a.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"When I came through in August of 1997 -- the first time, with a fake ID . . . I was detained and sent back home," Arellano said in Spanish. "But I didn't know it was considered a deportation. Three days later I got over by just walking through a town."
    Here, she worked as a cleaning lady at O'Hare Airport until 2002, when she was arrested and subsequently convicted in federal court for working under a false Social Security number.
    With the help of Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) and various community groups, Arellano secured four one-year extensions to stay in the United States. They enabled her to get a legal Social Security card, Illinois driver's license and work permit. But she's still ineligible for citizenship because of her first arrest.
    IMO, she's had a lot of chances to understand that she is engaging in criminal activity. What I don't get, is don't the congressfolk get that she's a criminal?
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

After being deported from the U.S. and then reentering unlawfully, this woman has committed a FELONY. Period.

MW
    I hope you Ill. folks are paying attention. Please, vote the bums out of office. Undermining our legal system and immigration laws is not acceptable!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ok, folks,

Just sent messages to Durbin and Gutierrez:

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=198415

Re: Quote:
    "When I came through in August of 1997 -- the first time, with a fake ID .
    . . I was detained and sent back home," Arellano said in Spanish. "But I
    didn't know it was considered a deportation. Three days later I got over
    by just walking through a town."

Quote:
    Here, she worked as a cleaning lady at O'Hare Airport until 2002, when she
    was arrested and subsequently convicted in federal court for working under
    a false Social Security number.

Quote:
    With the help of Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.)
    and various community groups, Arellano secured four one-year extensions to
    stay in the United States. They enabled her to get a legal Social Security
    card, Illinois driver's license and work permit. But she's still
    ineligible for citizenship because of her first arrest.

IMO, she's had a lot of chances to understand that she is engaging in
    criminal activity. What I don't get, is don't the congressfolk get that
    she's a criminal? _________________

Why should only AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the
    law?!

************************************************** *************************

Sir, Why do you support criminal behavior? Clearly, Arellano is a
    criminal from the FIRST time she entered this country illegally, meaning
    to do so, with fake ID. So, you are aiding and abetting a felon.
    Sincerely,

Pat XXXXXX
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Glad you wrote them. I get the have to have "compassion" speil and why our immigration needs reform so people aren't forced into criminal behavior speech.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I can't go back, I have no job there, I have no savings, and what will I be able to take in one suitcase?"
    Isn't that the way you snuck into our country?
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Thanks, crazybird,

The congressfolk from whatever state should be caring for the citizens and LEGAL immigrants of this nation, NOT illegal aliens, who by definition are criminals.
    TIME'S UP!

Quote Originally Posted by reform_now
    After being deported from the U.S. and then reentering unlawfully, this woman has committed a FELONY. Period.

She was deported, and three days later she was back to make an "anchor baby" This woman knew what she was doing. And being illegally in this country she became an ACTIVIST? I wonder what she would become if she is not deported. I think this is a dangerous person who has no respect for any law.

Look at what she is really up against. She is claiming just deportation.

“Anyone who believes they can violate the integrity of our borders with impunity should take notice,” said Brian M. Moskowitz, special agent in charge of the ICE Office of Investigations for Michigan and Ohio.

“Re-entering the U.S. after deportation is a serious offense. ICE will continue to seek prosecution against those who commit such crimes.”

Re-entering the United States is a felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison. Following deportation, there is an automatic 10-year bar from being able to re-enter the United States.
    Dixie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast