Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

VISTA MAN SHOT WITH TASER DIES

Man shot with Taser had history of cases

By: JO MORELAND - Staff Writer
    February 23, 2007

VISTA ---- Court records show that a man who died after being shot twice with an electric stun gun during a struggle with sheriff's deputies in Vista had a lengthy history of cases involving area law enforcement officers.

Martin Mendoza, 43, was hospitalized after the Sunday night incident. He was taken off life support systems Wednesday night at Tri-City Medical Center, his family said.

It was the first time someone has died after deputies used a Taser on an individual since the San Diego County Sheriff's Department started using the electrical shock weapons in early 2006, sheriff's Capt. Glenn Revell said Thursday.

"It is a tragedy," Revell said about Mendoza's death.

Records at the North County courthouse in Vista with Mendoza's name and birthdate show 10 criminal cases involving domestic violence, drug possession, driving under the influence and traffic violations.

The court records show that Mendoza was sentenced to up to five years' probation and sometimes less than a year's jail time in the mostly misdemeanor cases that started in 1998.

Two include misdemeanor charges of corporal injury or battery against two women Mendoza was allegedly living with at different times in North County.

In a 1998 case, the alleged victim asked that no restraining order be issued for Mendoza, and the woman's request was granted, a court document said. The defendant completed a court-ordered domestic violence program.

However, a domestic violence charge filed in October 2004 by the second woman resulted in the issuance of a restraining order against Mendoza, according to the file. A judge ordered the defendant to "totally abstain from all alcohol."

The records showed at least three court cases with charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, and one stemmed from driving while his license was suspended for a prior drunken driving conviction.

Two charges of drug possession were filed for small amounts of heroin Mendoza allegedly had in 2000 and cocaine in 2005.

Information wasn't readily available on a San Diego misdemeanor case handled by the city attorney's office.

Revell said the Sheriff's Department will look at Mendoza's death as part of the critical incident review the department always does when there is a need to review policies, procedures, training or equipment.

In addition, he said, the sheriff's homicide unit is now investigating Mendoza's demise as an "in custody death." Homicide detectives always investigate the death of anyone while in sheriff's custody.

"There could be a temporary stand down (of the department's use of Tasers), but I don't anticipate that decision being made," Revell said. "We're trying to determine all the circumstances of this death to try to determine all the factors that caused this loss of life."

Revell said the department doesn't know that Mendoza's death was related in any way to the use of the Taser.

An autopsy was performed Thursday to determine the cause of death. An investigator said the cause of death wasn't available, "pending further studies."

Mendoza's daughter, Jasmine Martinez, said her father had a lot of bleeding from his head, and doctors told her they didn't know if that was caused by his head hitting the pavement or by the Taser.

Martinez, who had recently renewed her relationship with her father, said she wasn't aware of any significant court cases involving him.

"I know of one time that he was stopped by police and they impounded his car," Martinez said. "I know that he was recently in jail for some traffic tickets."

As far as the sheriff's in-custody death investigation, Revelle said, that requires an attempt to "accurately recreate all of the circumstances."

"I'm aware that his behavior at the time of the contact was described as somewhat bizarre," the captain said.

Homicide detective Lt. Dennis Brugos said earlier this week that Mendoza had phoned the Sheriff's Department and said that "someone was out to get him," but no evidence was found to support that.

Mendoza appeared to have some "mental instability" and when he was placed in the back of a patrol car he began kicking the rear window, Brugos said.

He said that as Mendoza struggled with deputies who then tried to restrain him, the Taser was used once. It was ineffective, so deputies used it again to control Mendoza, Brugos said.

When the deputies realized Mendoza, handcuffed and back in the patrol car, had stopped breathing they removed the restraints and started first aid, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation, authorities said.

Although law enforcement agencies often describe Tasers, which deliver a 50,000-volt electrical shock, as a "less lethal weapon," there have been more than 150 deaths after the device was used on someone in the United States since June 2001, according to the Web site of Amnesty International.

However, as of Nov. 9, 2006, 26 wrongful death or injury lawsuits brought against Taser International Inc., based in Scottsdale, Ariz., had been dismissed or decided in favor of the company.

The number of people who have died in this county after a Taser was used on them, either of suffocation or other reasons, was not immediately available from the county medical examiner's office.

Contact staff writer Jo Moreland at (760) 740-3524 or jmoreland@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/02 ... ogcomments

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

wow wrote on February 22, 2007 10:07 PM:"ahh get over it everyone....just another day in vista! "

MorallyGoofy1 wrote on February 22, 2007 10:22 PM:""History of cases" ??? Gee, what a surprise !!!"

LOVE 4 ALL wrote on February 22, 2007 10:22 PM:"Cant we just all get along! forgive and forget thats what Jesus would want you to do!"

Osider wrote on February 22, 2007 10:26 PM:"It almost sounds like the Taser hasnt really been researched enough to determine the overall effect on a human. It sounds like we need more research by the federal government rather than a private entity. "

KL wrote on February 22, 2007 10:31 PM:"Imagine that...he was a wife beater and a drug addict. Has anybody realized that of all the deaths related to the Sheriff's Dept In Vista that not one of the deceased was a productive member of society. I mean all you people claiming to be scared of the Sheriff its simple...don't do drugs and commit crime and you will not find yourself in a confrontation with the police. It's that simple."

dutch wrote on February 22, 2007 11:16 PM:"A criminal history of drugs, alcohol, and domestic violence??? People are too quick to judge law enforcement. Do you really think a deputy wants to get sued and risk losing his/her house? Come on people, let the deps do their jobs and stop trying to make these unfortunate cases into some type of Rodney King episode!!!"

Excessive force wrote on February 23, 2007 2:58 AM:"An unarmed man kicking out a window sounds like a case for rehab and a fine - not shock treatment. I thought that was out the window in the '70s after One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. "

Randy wrote on February 23, 2007 3:44 AM:"This article is specifically designed to dehumanize and denigrate the dead man. Why not mention that he was engaged to be married, like the San Diego Union's article does? Your reporter should have investigated more thoroughly and even-handedly."

gimmeabreak wrote on February 23, 2007 5:25 AM:"So, the point of this article is? He had a record, so he was less fit to live? His "record" made him more vulnerable to taser effects than a guy with a clean record? That he's faking his death to get back at the Sheriff for personal gain? Unless an autopsy report comes back and says the guy's blood was full of some substance(s) and that the combination of that plus the taser did him in, this story is little more than piling on a dead guy. Come on, people, stop de-humanizing. "

Mimi wrote on February 23, 2007 6:35 AM:"I hope everyone is not suggesting that a history with the Sheriff's dept. means it is ok for him to die. "

US Citizen wrote on February 23, 2007 6:58 AM:"It would be interesting to know what the toxicology report states."

esteban wrote on February 23, 2007 7:19 AM:"Wow..Osider wants the Fed Gov't to research the taser instead of a private entity....usually the anti coppers don't want the gov't to investigate anything for fear of a cover up!!!!! Anyway, KL has it right. The only people that need to fear the cops are criminals, low lifes, and losers. The less of those around the better."

Vista Granny wrote on February 23, 2007 7:24 AM:"To KL -- death sentences for non-productive members of society? An OK idea for you? The Taser is a terrible thing, often lethal. Unfortunately, the NRA thinks everone should have a gun, and so the sheriffs often shoot first (gun or Taser) and ask questions later. "

Skip
    wrote on February 23, 2007 7:24 AM:"The way the authors always say that a man with the same name and birthdate, make me wonder if anyone really knows who this man was. Was he an Illegal Alien?"

citizen wrote on February 23, 2007 8:14 AM:" So he had a history with the "authorities". Is there any relevance at all? Why print it except to sway public opinion against him? The issue is that the Sheriff's deputies used overkill, again, and literally."

Meat wrote on February 23, 2007 8:31 AM:"I suppose this vitiates all potential liability on the part of the officers. "

Sepp wrote on February 23, 2007 8:49 AM:"Nice post Dutch regarding the Rodney King referrence. "

A'notherO'sider wrote on February 23, 2007 8:50 AM:"To Osider: Just what we need.....more research. Look at the facts......delusional, combative, non-compliant....what are the Deputies supposed to do? Go on a ride-along and see what law enforcement faces each shift. "

Excessive boy wrote on February 23, 2007 8:51 AM:"Okay, lets say the dude is allowed to kick out the window and hurts himself and bleeds to death. People like you would be crying foul over that too. Go back to your Marijuana grow and comb your hair. "

Jimmie wrote on February 23, 2007 8:51 AM:"You couldn't pay me enough money to be a cop and protect people who wouldn't give me the time of day."

To: Excessive & Randy wrote on February 23, 2007 8:52 AM:"Kumbaya, Kumbaya"

Why Taser? wrote on February 23, 2007 9:04 AM:"Why did they need a taser? I think the cops should have just let him kick the windows out and then got into a physical fight with him. Who cares if the deputies get injured? That's their job, right? They get paid to get injured and crippled. We don't care about them or their families. Violent people should be treated with kid gloves so that they calm down .maybe if we don't yell at them, they won't bother us or hurt us, we don't want to upset them after all."

Ken wrote on February 23, 2007 9:16 AM:""Randy" You are right in your3:44am post. Before any action was taken to subdue a violant, out of control man, the Sheriffs Deputies should have taken a complete medical, psychological and criminal history to determine how to handle the situation appropriately. How positively rude and rash of them not to have done so."

Alf
    wrote on February 23, 2007 9:18 AM:"Let "Excessive force" demonstrate the proper way to handle the situation. "

LIN in o'side wrote on February 23, 2007 9:45 AM:"I agree with gimmeabreak. What this story is telling us is that it's okay for for the sheriff's to have "accidently" killed someones son/father/partner/friend because he had a history with law inforcement. Thats really sad. For anyone who has common sense they'll know that this article isnt gonna make the Sherrif who did this look any better. He really screwed up. First guns now tasers, whats next????"

Sean wrote on February 23, 2007 9:49 AM:"Ain' this a dandy? Dividing topics according to two side?s of the perennial fence we all linger around shows vast differences between rationality and stupidity. On the left we have bleeding-heart liberals and their formidable foe to the right stands, well, non-morons. This clown cared nothing for himself. Stop giving him undue credit for the sake of "humanity". Osider...another thought provoking jab of a joke you laid out today. You're going to get hammered for that one but it's still funny."

Top Cop wrote on February 23, 2007 9:54 AM:"Let's see violent, kicking out windows, history of Domestic Violence and drugs. Sounds like another good citizen from Vista.RIP"

I can hear the theme music to the NFL! Dat dat dat daaaa! wrote on February 23, 2007 10:05 AM:"Can't you hear it? Is it football season again? Oh that's right right, it's only Feb. So it must be a little "Monday Morning Quaterbacking!!! The cops did thier job! This guy died because he is violent and angry and non compliant!"

Jimmie is right!
    wrote on February 23, 2007 10:08 AM:"Most people could care less about the cops. Or the military for that matter! They want the calvary to come when they are in a jam, but god forbid they hurt someone who is acting like an animal! Deputies I am behind you. Keep up the great work! You have a tough job and we recognize that!"

Think wrote on February 23, 2007 10:21 AM:"Most of us will go through our entire lives without having a physical confrontation with a law enforcement officer, yet this guy's rap sheet was as long as his arm. Why should there be any sympathy shown for a serial law breaker who got his kick's by beating women and also was a hazard to all of us by driving while drunk? Face it, there are some individuals in our society that will never value life - either their own or yours and mine - and will somehow find a way to live this world long before their time. This guy Mendoza was the perfect example of such a person. "

I agree with think wrote on February 23, 2007 10:48 AM:"This guy is getting too much credit that he never earned. So he was a breathing human being! What about all the other breathing human beings who he terrorized! The other human beings he so selfishly risked. How about the human beings who wear a badge and protect us all! What about them! They have rights too! Like the right to remain safe and go home to their families! The taser is an option that allows the police gain compliance! In lieu of their batons or their guns, etc. If he didn't doe from that, he would have died from something else! This guy was on a crash course to killing himself or someone else. We should all rejoice he didn't kill someone else, and stop trying to make him the martyr he never was or even a decent man!"

Chubton wrote on February 23, 2007 10:51 AM:""had history of cases"...Oh, then it's okay that he was killed by taser on the street."

Dear Jo wrote on February 23, 2007 10:56 AM:"The issue isn't the number of deaths AFTER THE USE of a taser, the issue is the number of deaths CAUSED by a taser, and the answer there is already available. That number is 'zero'. By failing to understand the difference, you're misreporting the story. There are thousands of deaths every year in this country that involve white vehicles, but that doesn't mean white paint kills. Amnesty and the ACLU are engaging in the same logical fallacy of assuming causality when there isn't any. I'd expect it from them, because advances their agenda. But I'm somewhat stunned that a reporter would uncritically fall for it. "

esteban
    wrote on February 23, 2007 11:18 AM:"Dear Jo....outstanding point!!!! Obviously, you GET IT. The idiots cry excessive force when the cops shoot violent men, so the cops bend and get Tasers, a less lethal option. Then some nut doesn't get shot, but Tazed...and dies anyway! Cops can't win. Next the idiots will try to take away hand cuffs."

robert wrote on February 23, 2007 11:25 AM:"Will everyone just wait for the final report. The officers did their job right or wrong! so let's wait until the investigation is complete!!! Thank you and have a Blessed day !"

StevieB wrote on February 23, 2007 11:29 AM:"Guns and tasers should be taken away from the police force immediately! Herbal tea, Yanni CD's and warm blankets will be used in their place. That way, when one of these 'misunderstood free spirits' gets high, whoops on his woman, kicks out a squad car window, etc, they can sooth his sweet soul with a little tea, new age music and a nice warm blanky..."

GotIt! wrote on February 23, 2007 2:05 PM:"If Mr Mendoza were quietly walking down the street, stopped by a cop, then Tasered because he objected, THAT would be excessive and unreasonable. As it stands, Mr. Mendoza was behaving both violently and irrationally at the time -- irrespective of any prior bad acts. The cops did what they thought would subdue the subject. Unfortunately, due to perhaps past medical problems, Mr. Mendoza subsequently died. I submit that had Mr. Mendoza complied with the officers instead of "acting bizarre" and resisting arrest, he would be alive today. Second-guessing an officer's action in this case is not productive. "

To Alf from Excessive Force wrote on February 23, 2007 2:09 PM:"Get shatterproof windows in the back of patrol cars. That's just ONE WAY!"

To Alf from Excessive Force wrote on February 23, 2007 2:23 PM:"Handcuff the guy and remove his boots. I doubt the guy would pull a Billy Jack and kick out the window with bare feet."

Question wrote on February 23, 2007 2:27 PM:"Is there any PROOF the guy actually tried to kick out the window. Was it broken? Or, are we just taking the cop's word on this as usual? "

Excessive force wrote on February 23, 2007 2:31 PM:"I'll bet there is not a scratch in that patrol car's rear window. Hmmmm? Where's the evidence the guy was actually trying to escape and even if he was, if the window wasn't shattered, how could he flee? There are some serious facts missing here."

Dream World wrote on February 23, 2007 2:33 PM:"Like I mentioned to my friends. This guy must have had prior incidents with law enforcement. Sure enough! To the Deputies involved.... You did nothing wrong. Continue to serve our community as you have been. Thank You for watching out for us and protecting us."

To Chubton wrote on February 23, 2007 2:34 PM:"In my opinion - yes. Good people do not have "history of cases"."

Excessive force wrote on February 23, 2007 2:51 PM:"So, Chubton, I guess the police should cruise the streets Tasering to death all the 'bad' people so we can save on court costs? Is that the answer?"

Skip
    wrote on February 23, 2007 3:31 PM:"I could have sworn that our deputies were trained in the Vulcan Nerve Pinch. All they had to do was walk up behind him and give the pinch, and then gently guide him to the ground. "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

Citizen groups seek more than review of shootings

By: JO MORELAND - Staff Writer
    Last modified Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:53 PM PST

A decision by the state attorney general's office to revisit findings by the county district attorney in seven officer-involved shootings that occurred over the last two years in North County doesn't go far enough, leaders of two citizens groups said Thursday.

Spokesmen for El Grupo in North County, and the Coalition for Justice, a countywide group, said they had asked the attorney general's office for independent investigations of the seven shootings, and, in the future, for investigation of all officer-involved shootings in the county.

Instead, they say, they got what amounts to a paper review of the shooting investigations performed by the Sheriff's Department.

The groups, in a letter to the attorney general, said they had asked for the investigations because they were "concerned about police practices and apparent racial bias in light of incidents over the past 24 months."

One of the seven shootings cited by the groups involved Chargers linebacker Steve Foley, who is black, and six of the shootings involved Latino men in Vista.

While the state review is "a good first step," they said, they still want independent investigations by the attorney general's office of all officer-involved shootings in the county.

"The attorney general is an elected official," said the Rev. Arthur Cribbs Jr., co-founder of the Coalition for Justice. "We are using our voice and our presence, as voters in this state, to say, 'Do your job.' "

Gary Schons, senior assistant attorney general in charge of the San Diego regional office, said that his staff routinely reviews about six to 10 officer-involved shooting cases annually as well as assaults, sexual assaults and other cases for six Southern California counties.

About one of those every year is from San Diego County, Schons said.

"There is nothing extraordinary about this," he said of the review.

The only difference this time, said Schons, is that seven cases will be reviewed, all of them originally investigated by the Sheriff's Department.

Right now, each law enforcement agency in the county investigates its own officer-involved shootings, and the district attorney's office reviews those investigations to determine only whether the shootings were lawful or not.

Bill Flores, a retired San Diego County assistant sheriff who is a spokesman for El Grupo, said the district attorney's office has increasingly hired more former law-enforcement officers who are now involved in shooting reviews.

"Now what we're seeing is the people you're sending (to review officer-involved shooting investigations) are former cops," Flores said, explaining the group's concerns.

He said the citizen groups hope that the attorney general's review of the seven North County cases will include looking for a pattern in the shootings.

That number over two years is "alarmingly high" compared to similar small, semirural cities as well as other sheriff's stations in the county, Flores said.

"So, we think that this anomaly in Vista needs to be examined by a legal authority to determine whether that is a coincidence or there's any evidence of racial bias in the use of force or the application of the law in Vista," he said.

Flores said the groups did not send their concerns to the county Citizens Law Enforcement Review Board because it does not have the legal authority that the groups felt was needed to address the issues.

"We could have gone to the federal attorney general, but we felt the state attorney general was the more appropriate agency to take the appeal to," Flores said.

The citizens review board was created by a voter mandate in 1990 that started when an unarmed Vista man, Jeffrey Bray, was shot and killed by a sheriff's reserve deputy who mistook Bray for a suspect in a vehicle theft. The board is charged with reviewing civilian complaints of misconduct against sheriff's and probation department personnel, as well as deaths arising from the actions of those officers.

The board has no authority to discipline or fire those they investigate, but it can make recommendations if it finds wrongdoing or problems with policies and procedures.

Ernie Carrillo, the new president of the San Diego County Deputy Sheriff's Association, said that organization has no problem with the attorney general's office reviewing the seven cases.

"I don't think (independent investigations of any shootings) are necessary at this time," Carrillo added.

Chief Frank McCoy of the Oceanside Police Department said he "wouldn't be adverse" to independent investigations.

"We have nothing to hide in our shootings," McCoy said. "Any prosecuting agency that wants to get involved with that, we have no problem."

Sheriff Bill Kolender and District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis couldn't be reached for comment.

In a statement issued Wednesday, Dumanis said her office "is a transparent governmental agency and we welcome the review (of the seven North County shootings) by the Attorney General."

Capt. Glenn Revell, Sheriff's Department spokesman, said that agency hopes the attorney general's review of the seven shootings "will be valuable to all parties."

Two of the seven investigations, a Vista shooting last year and the Foley shooting, haven't been completed yet by the Sheriff's Department, said Schons. He said the review is expected to produce some answers within four months.

"We're going to review everything the district attorney looked at," but it won't be an investigation, he said. "We're not second-guessing, because we're reviewing for an abuse of discretion. The district attorney has wide discretion.

"If the review reveals a reasonable investigative avenue that wasn't pursued or another crime that could have been filed wasn't, that information will be sent to the district attorney's office," Schons said.

At a public forum earlier this month, Dumanis drew criticism when she noted that only two of about 148 officer-involved shootings were found unjustified over 10 years.

Contact staff writer Jo Moreland at (760) 740-3524 or jmoreland@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/02 ... _15_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Same old story wrote on February 15, 2007 11:54 PM:"Fools names and fools faces always appear in public places. Old saying that is so true today. There are too many fools that have absolutely NOTHING to say but will say ANYTHING for publicity....and NCT will gladly provide the soapbox!!"

These groups are a pain in the arse wrote on February 16, 2007 5:29 AM:"and should be forced to PAY for all their demands. A person with even a small amount of intelligence would understand if you run from cops.... you going to get shot. I am tired of paying for ILLEGALS, now being forced to pay for their breaking the laws and these ILLEGAL immigrant rights groups and their wasteful demands."

Jeff wrote on February 16, 2007 6:05 AM:"The last sentence of this article sums it all up. Why would the activists criticize Dumanis for noting that only two or about 148 OIS were found justified? Wouldn't they be more upset if it were 50 out of 148? Is the DA supposed to occasionally make an example out of a cop even though they did nothing wrong? Bill Flores and his band of clowns are on a witch hunt. They won't be happy until they get a sacrificial lamb. Mr. Flores would better serve his community by reaching out to young Hispanic gang members and drug users who will likely do something stupid enough to force a cop to shoot them. Perhaps he already knows it is a hopeless cause, and that is why he is focusing his ire on his former department. "

Scott wrote on February 16, 2007 7:26 AM:"What you asked for isn't enough? Then why did you ask for it? I just hope the Police and Sheriff departments don't throw down a scape goat to appease these groups. These groups don't have the strength to damage anyone's political career, they are not the majority and bowing down to them would bring out the majority in opposition of their racist ideology. Now Flores wants DA investigators to have no investigative background. Do you want them to just make decisions based on what would be best for the Hispanic community or should they still try to find the truth and assist the judicial community in serving the county."

Let the cops do their Job wrote on February 16, 2007 7:34 AM:"In this day in age. Cops don't have much choice but to use deadly force. Today's criminals are much better armed than in the past. I don't want our officers to second guess themselves. When in doubt, shoot to kill! "

Brett wrote on February 16, 2007 7:45 AM:"What really is "alarmingly high" is the number of gang-bangers per capita you have in north county...7 shootings in 2 years isn't at all high considering this and other relevant facts so conveniently omitted in your political ad..in fact in my opinion its low."

Crazy
    wrote on February 16, 2007 8:29 AM:"2 of 148 were unjustified. Thats sounds like an unreasonable number to me... Were the 2 politcial scapegoats or were they really unjustified? As for the complainers what would they say if the cops didn't respond or failed to act out of fear of prosecutors, who have no experience in police work, second guessing actions they make at life threatening sceens? If Flores had any police experience, he promoting little time on the streets, he would explain how dangerous police work can be!"

Greg in Oceanside wrote on February 16, 2007 10:42 AM:"The utter violence that permeates the Latino community on a daily basis is appalling. This cycle of violence will continue unless the so-called “leaders” of the Latino community step up to the plate. Where is El Grupo, NCLR, MEChA, etal when it comes to good citizenship? Seems to me these groups are missing a key piece of the puzzle; fixing the problems in the Latino community. If these groups spent more time straightening out the problems and trying to integrate into our culture than what is spent on defending Latino rights and finger pointing, we wouldn’t have the exorbitant crime and 55% dropout rate amongst Latinos in our community. Every day we hear about violent crime being committed by Latinos in all the communities here in San Diego County, and these advocacy groups are doing absolutely nothing to address this. It’s high-time they start acting like responsible organizations or people won’t take them too seriously until they do."

Ask wrote on February 16, 2007 11:07 AM:"Think about this in the simplest of ways. Why were these people shot??? You dont get shot for just walking down the street, going shopping etc... You get shot for doing very stupid things and making the officers feel like their life is in danger. So take away the officers actions and look solely at what the dead people did, you ill understand."

I want wrote on February 16, 2007 12:20 PM:"these citizen groups investigated!!! Who supports them and their "racist" agenda. Are they going to pay for these investigations? As a taxpayer, I don't WANT my tax dollar spent on investigations by outsiders whose whole agenda is to prosecute and persecute our law enforcement for doing their jobs. How many cops have been killed by these Hispanics, NONE of which were justified? Like others have said, I think El Grupo and others should spend their OWN money to remove guns and straighten out the Latino community if they want to stop shootings there. And Foley? yeah let's throw in ONE black guy who was obviously a justified shooting, to try and make a case."

Peter wrote on February 16, 2007 12:31 PM:"The people in these groups need to spend more time guiding the young people in their communities to become good American citizens, to include respect for laws and those charged with enforcing those laws. If they really thought the truth was being hidden, they would ask all available agencies to review the cases not just one that they expect to be politically supportive. Instead of trying to paint themselves as victims and blaming law enforcement, how about being proactive in eliminating the violence that is routinely perpetrated against many in their communities by their own people."

I AGREE wrote on February 16, 2007 1:08 PM:"I guess the illegals aren't used to our culture -- where the police keep the peace and protect the people. Instead they think that we should be more like their country where violence and corruption are rampant and police protect the criminals. Get out of my country and take your guns and criminal activites with you! Protection of the criminals does not belong here."

Jason wrote on February 16, 2007 5:38 PM:"Hum… FIRST- these groups need to understand that the Supreme Court ruled that “internal investigations” are not subject for public review and this is perhaps the document (s ) that this group got. It is a packet explaining what I just said and the legal docs to support this fact. If these groups are seeking a challenge to the Supreme Court ruling then the appropriate place is the courts not the CA AG’s office. SECOND- the shootings between Chargers linebacker Steve Foley, and the Mexican documented drug dealers, gang members, caught robbing with a deadly weapon with a long list of criminal records will be considered separate and district. They cannot be mashed together into one investigation. All of the shootings were different Foley being perhaps the only one with merits the others are no brainers. THIRD- Rev. Arthur Cribbs is doing a great disservice and perhaps prejudicing Foleys civil case whereby the promise future jury will automatically connect Foley in an unfavorable light based on the connection between the Vista drugs, gangs, theft, arm robberies etc…, what a shame. "

Amanda wrote on February 16, 2007 5:46 PM:"OK NCT did I miss something what does Chief Frank McCoy of the Oceanside Police Department have to do with the Vista sheriffs shootings? Is he a member of the BOARD that investigated the sheriff’s shootings? Please explain what Oceanside’s OPD have to do with the Sheriffs aren’t they two separate entities? "

Wiley wrote on February 16, 2007 6:40 PM:"If Mr. Flores is looking for a pattern, all he has to do is take a look at the Townsite crime statistics, or read the paper. If the Latino community disrespects the laws of this country continuously and fails to educate their children in proper, law abiding behavior, then they have no right or reason to complain when one of them gets shot while committing a crime. Mr. Flores should spend his energy teaching English and values to the Latino community, something that's sorely missing. And if they feel treated so poorly and misunderstood: they know the way home."

Do you get it? wrote on February 16, 2007 7:09 PM:"You know caucasions are shot everyday but I do not see anyone forming groups to investigate their shootings. I am so tired of the hispanic groups and the black groups crying racism. This has to STOP! It is their actions that get them shot, plain and simple."

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

There was a young man, here in Nashville, that suffered the same fate. He was drugged-out of his mind and was tased. He later died at the hospital. Keep the border open so that heroin can keep coming!