Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Volunteers slow illegal immigration

http://link.toolbot.com/heraldstandard.com/59372

02/04/2007
    Volunteers slow illegal immigration
    By Patty Yauger , Herald-Standard

Editor's note: This is the first of a three-part series about Operation Jumpstart and the role of the Pennsylvania Army and Air National Guard in the joint program on the U.S./Mexico border.YUMA, Ariz. - The conversations of border patrol agents in the field echo throughout the communications room, while others responsible for watching various sectors continue to view the landscape captured by cameras along the U.S./Mexico border.
    Since August, approximately 300 Pennsylvania Army and Air National Guard volunteers and their counterparts from across the country have been assisting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency in their duties to keep illegal aliens from entering areas of Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.

The most recent rotation that began in January has 83 state Army Guard volunteers and 26 state Air Guard volunteers.

"They are doing an outstanding job," said Brig. Gen. Ulay Littleton of the Arizona National Guard during a recent briefing at the Yuma sector command center. "They are working together with the border patrol and they have made an impact."

The joint effort is part of Operation Jumpstart, a 2006 federal initiative that now has 6,000 National Guardsmen on the ground and in the air to slow illegal entry.

The two-year program will cut the number of guardsmen to 3,000 later this year.

Currently, the Pennsylvania National Guardsmen are among the 2,400 volunteer force on the Arizona border.

In addition to their surveillance work, the guardsmen are also improving roadways used by border agents to traverse the rugged terrain, repair in-place fencing and construct barriers to slow the illegal foot or vehicular traffic.

In some areas, only the guardsmen stand as a deterrent to those wanting to enter the U.S. While there is fencing in some areas, it is minimal along the Yuma Sector. The Colorado River, an irrigation canal and huge stone boulders can slow the movement, but can be navigated by those willing to take the chance, said officials.

Ron Colburn, chief of the U.S. Border Patrol Yuma Sector, said that the National Guard's presence on the border has reduced the number of those illegally entering the U.S. by 60 percent.

The additional manpower, he added, gets the border patrol agents "back on the border."

"We have more agents out in the field doing what they were trained to do," said Colburn.

According to officials, most trying to make their way across the border are doing so for money to provide for their families.

Others, however, have a criminal motive, including the transportation of narcotics and weapons.

"One in 10 people (coming across the border illegally) have a criminal record and do not want to be caught," said Colburn. "However, every (illegal) entry is a crime."

Colburn said some are so desperate to reach U.S. soil that they have engaged border patrol agents in shootouts; some wait for hours in the desert despite triple-digit temperatures, while others modify vehicles to squeeze under barriers blocking their paths.

"It is a very violent border," he said.

Border activity has drawn more national attention since 9/11, said officials.

While Mexicans are the bulk of the illegal entrants, Colburn said that agents have halted people from more than 100 foreign countries trying to gain access through Mexico into the U.S. over the past two years.

While he would not elaborate on the number of those of Middle Eastern descent illegally crossing the border, none, he said, had been determined as terrorists.

In October, President Bush signed into law a measure that calls for the construction of 700 miles of fencing along the 2,100-mile U.S./Mexican border.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 gives Homeland Security 18 months to improve surveillance and make needed improvements to halt the illegal traffic at the border.

In the communications' center, meanwhile, the monitors give no indication that anyone is making their way across the Yuma sector of the border.

Cameras strategically located along the border in addition to sensors in the ground, give agents a heads up as to potential vehicular or pedestrian traffic.

Guardsmen, too, are alerted via radio communication to any problems.

In the air, Black Hawk helicopters - some piloted by Pennsylvania Air National Guardsmen, traverse the border, looking for those crossing the desert, the Colorado River, a nearby canal or just hiding in the brush.

The pilots sometimes get their cue from the border patrol agents when only a shoe print is located on the ground.

"(The border patrol agents) are amazing," said Pennsylvania Army Air National Guardsmen pilot CW3 Scott P. Wiley. "They find a shoe pattern and are able to tell what kind of shoe it is; as they track them on the ground we go out ahead of them and make our way back to them.

"We corner (the illegal entrants) and wait for the border patrol to get there.

"We're just doing what we can to help."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jean,

This is off subject, but I was in Lowe's tonight with my son. They have all their signs in English and Spanish and at the Customoer service desk they have a chart that reads:

Point to the language you understand and someone will assist you.

It's in English of course, than Spanish, than Chinese, than Russian.

I hear a lady ahead of me in a wheelchair ask, "Why is there a sign in all these languages we speak English in America!" The young girl shrugged her shoulders and said I don't know? They just put it up there. They also have a picture there which reads "north America" with entire continent shaded. I tell you they are not very patriot about their country only the bottom line of their bank statements!

My eight year old son whispers in my ear , "It's the globalists again mom"

I had to laugh but then I agreed and was not very happy.

I think it's time to hit up the local hardware store.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

CCUSA said:
    My eight year old son whispers in my ear , "It's the globalists again mom"
    You're teaching him right!
    That's a hoot!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I switched to Lowe's because of HD's penchant for illegals...looks like the local hardware store is the place to go next is absolutley correct! Too bad for Lowe's. I spent several thousand dollars there last year, but I'll be spending that much and more at my local hardware store instead of either of these 'big box' stores this year.

This is more propaganda I think to make us believe they are getting this under control, I don't believe it for a second!!!!

Yep, its time to go back to local hardware stores, it will be the only way to try to make a difference. Sorry Tony, I may have to change Nascar drivers!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Hi everybody.

Yeah it's a shame Tony Steward has to represent them. I'm wondering if any other Lowe's in America have these sign's in their store's or is it just us lucky people here in NJ (NOT)?

Jean, I definately am rubbing off on my son's They are and will be very patriotic American's.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    This is more propaganda I think to make us believe they are getting this under control, I don't believe it for a second!!!!

Yep, its time to go back to local hardware stores, it will be the only way to try to make a difference. Sorry Tony, I may have to change Nascar drivers!!
    sosadforus,
    I like your avatar, here's another sloagan for you;
    Soarsa no Bas
    freedom or death, Scot's gaelic.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDog
    Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS

sosadforus,
    I like your avatar, here's another sloagan for you;
    Soarsa no Bas
    freedom or death, Scot's gaelic.
    thats cool, what clan is it do you know!!
    this is our family crest from scotland which is the Barclay crest my ancestors. Thank you!!!!I like it to!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)