Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

voters UNSEATED two Republican leaders in PA state senate

Ahhhhhhhhh.......this is good

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 54252.html
    Earthquake in Pennsylvania

May 17, 2006
    The Victory In Primaries For Conservatives

Over the past week, many of us have written on the frustration felt by conservatives (especially fiscal conservatives) over the past few years. Some believe that the only manner in which to serve notice on the GOP that it cannot take conservative votes for granted is a massive walkout, a boycott of the 2006 midterms and perhaps even the 2008 presidential elections. Others, such as myself, believe that conservatives will marginalize themselves by doing so and will prove themselves incapable of being reliable partners in any kind of ruling coalition.

Today we have an example of what can be accomplished through active engagement rather than disengagement. In Pennsylvania, primary voters have unseated the two Republican leaders in the state Senate that gave the body an unpopular pay raise, joining thirteen of their incumbent House colleagues in getting the boot:

Angry taxpayers on Tuesday tossed out the two Republican Senate leaders who helped engineer last year's legislative pay raise, an issue that apparently cost 13 House members their jobs, too.

Senate President Pro Tempore Robert Jubelirer of Altoona, and Senate Majority Leader David Brightbill of Lebanon County conceded to their challengers, becoming the first lawmakers in major leadership posts to lose a primary election in 42 years. The House defeats would be the most since 1980.

"We have had a dramatic earthquake in Pennsylvania," said Jubelirer, a 32-year legislator.

The defeats of Jubelirer and Brightbill "will send shock waves throughout he political establishment for years to come," said Mike Young, a retired Penn State University political science professor.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review calls this a political "earthquake", as long-entrenched GOP incumbents have lost or are losing races to political neophytes. Brightbill lost to a tire salesman with only a single term on a city council on his resume, but who espoused fiscal responsibility and an end to government handouts. Jubelirer lost to a county commissioner who champions free markets. Another representative, Tom Lawson, trails a 21-year-old college graduate running for his first office.

The existing Republican leadership in Pennsylvania outraged fiscal conservatives with their pay raises and spending habits. However, instead of declaring defeat and retreating to their homes, these conservatives organized and found candidates for primaries -- especially those for the leadership that betrayed them. They donated, raised more funds, campaigned, and ensured a strong turnout to counter the incumbent advantage.

And they succeeded.

Without a doubt, the Pennsylvania Republican Party got the message, along with the incumbents who now find themselves out of a job after the general election. It is entirely possible to turn the rascals out if conservatives remain committed to the cause. This can be replicated on a Congressional level with enough effort and organization. In fact, thanks to the reapportionment process, it actually carries less risk than one might fear. Solidly Republican districts will likely elect whichever GOP candidate wins the primary, so the argument that the incumbent somehow protects against the loss of a seat holds little water. That gives Republicans the ability to offer true choices in the primary elections, a strategy deftly employed by Pennsylvania conservatives.

And look how the press reacted! They have given fiscal conservatives a huge victory in the recognition they received for holding the line on spending. No one expected the conservatives to organize this well or this effectively, and it gives them momentum heading into the general election. The political story of this year in Pennsylvania will be the housecleaning performed on the state legislature, and it puts candidates of both parties on notice that conservatives have grabbed the momentum. Don't be surprised if that changes the entire tenor of the debate on Pennsylvania public policy,

Conservatives can achieve these victories across the nation, especially in Congress, by working within the GOP to effect change. It requires engagement and organization, which may be less immediately satisfactory than boycotts and protests, but carries much greater potential for actual gain.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is living proof that being active produces results. The attitiude here is "we've always done it that way". There was quite a resistance to using touch screens instead of the old lever machines I was asked if I needed any help in figuring out how to use the screen and told the worker I'm from Va. where we have used them for years. If PA residents can achieve these results, there is hope everywhere!

This is GREAT news! The Philadelphia Inquirer didnt have the results in todays edition because at the time they went to print, the votes hadn't yet been tallied.

I am SO proud of the citizens of PA. They are an inspiration to us all!

14 incumbents got the ax. And this was only the primaries, there's more blood to come. Bush get's his in the next round!! Wait till November.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

It's nice to note that PA got rid of politicians who ignored them. However, I don't believe it possible to impact the GOP nationally in the short time we have before the 2008 elections. I spent the better part of the evening yesterday sending e-mails to various senators stating voters will remove them from office if they pass a bill with any type of amnesty in it. I will be voting for Independents at every level unless incumbents have voting records that support securing the borders and deportation.

PATRIOT....

SMILE! Recognize the chinks in the armour ........ couple this with the LACK OF CONTRIBUTIONS from the rank and file.

It's an unfolding comedy. Congress is well aware of the State & Local problems. Don't think for one moment that this isn't beginning to cause backroom discussions about THEIR ELECTION chances.

Ohhhhhhhhh, this can turn into a real free for all if more incumbents are given a swift kick in the posterior.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

patriotluvr;
    vote for whoever the strongest challenger is to the incumbent rather than an independent. My district has a republican rep that always goes with bush. I actually personally talked to him at a dinner a few weeks ago and he says he's against amnesty. I have a feeling he may have been lying since his lips were moving. I'm sure that when bush comes to twist his arm, he'll cave. Well, BS, I'll vote for the Democrat because I'll be so mad. He'll deserve to lose his seat. Then hopefully the Democrats will impeach the moron. (sorry, I didn't mean to denigrate all upstanding morons)
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Congress is well aware of the State & Local problems. Don't think for one moment that this isn't beginning to cause backroom discussions about THEIR ELECTION chances.
    You know it! Here in DE we have our guns aimed at Tom Carper in November (and you're next Biden). These two consistantly vote pro-illegal and pro-big business and Delawareans are sick of it! Despite the fact that Carper has a huge campaign fund one of his challangers, Jan Ting, a very vocal "border security first" candidate, is getting a LOT of favorable buzz in our small state.

PA.....SHOWING THE WAY!

As a conservative, I will vote in November and I will vote against any candidate that supports giving legal status to those aliens already here illegally.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Good to see that some people have the guts to throw out the incumbents.

Unfortunately other people will blindly support their party no matter what.

This is going to be a November to remember.

I can see the "for sale" ads this December;

Rino for sale. Very little use, but needs work. Not running, U tow. One dime or best offer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast