Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

WH statement: That's not what Bush meant

Earthtimes.org

WH statement: That's not what Bush meant
    Posted on : 2007-06-26 | Author : General News Editor
    News Category : US

WASHINGTON, June 26 (UPI) U.S. President George Bush Tuesday apparently misspoke when he told a briefing on immigration the current reform bill provides for amnesty.

The White House press secretary's office issued a statement saying that's not what Bush meant when he told the briefing at the Executive Office Building: "You know, I have heard all the rhetoric -- you have heard it, too -- about how this is amnesty. Amnesty means that you have got to pay a price for having been here illegally, and this bill does that." "President Bush has noted repeatedly that the comprehensive reform he supports is not an amnesty bill," the statement said. "Amnesty means forgiving wrongdoing without imposing punishment. The immigration reforms passed in 1986 granted amnesty. "The legislation under consideration this year does not. This measure imposes significant punishments on those who came to this country illegally between 1986 and the beginning of this year. In fact, the White House Web site addresses the myth that the measure is amnesty."

Copyright 2007 by United Press International

Print Source :
    http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/76641.html
    © 2007 earthtimes.org. All Rights Reserved.
    This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

Let's see, if we examine the real definition of the word amnesty, it states the following:

SYLLABICATION: am·nes·ty
    PRONUNCIATION: mn-st
    NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. am·nes·ties
    A general pardon granted by a government, especially for political offenses.
    TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: am·nes·tied, am·nes·ty·ing, am·nes·ties
    To grant a general pardon to.

So where does it say in this definition that it ISN'T amnesty if they make illegals simply pay a fine?

Jorge, you screwed up, plain and simple. You did mean what you said. Don't try to backpedal now because you've been caught w/ your pants down.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Bush is worse than a terrorist. He is a liar, traitor, and probably the most corrupt man to ever set foot in the White House. He is fully aware that the bill is amnesty. I wonder what "threats" or "treats" he offered the Senate, in exchange for the bill to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    I wonder what "threats" or "treats" he offered the Senate, in exchange for the bill to progress.
    I don't know, but I'm more concerned now about what kind of "offers they can't refuse" he's going to be making to the House.

It should be perfectly clear by now to everybody that there is absolutely nothing that this cretin won't do to get his way.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.