Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What Happened To C.U.N.Y.?

The inmates are running the asylum.

The DREAM Act - legislation that would create a path to citizenship for a special category of illegal immigrants, those who were brought to the U.S. as children - won passage in the U.S. House on Wednesday but was pulled from a vote by the Senate leadership on Thursday to avoid defeat.

The bill's opponents offered many arguments against passage, but they ignored the one crucial element: These young people did not come here on their own. They followed their parents, as they had to. Then, after settling in the U.S., they followed the law.

No civilized nation criminalizes a child's innocent conduct.

And so, even though chances are slim that the bill will be reintroduced before the Senate adjourns for the year, supporters must not give up fighting for passage.

To let the DREAM Act die would have real-world consequences for thousands of struggling young people, many of them right here in New York. I say this with confidence because, as the president of a public college where many of those people go to school, I'll see the wreckage up close.

Take Natalia (I can't give her real name because that would land her in trouble), who was brought to the U.S. from Poland as a child. She taught herself English, made her way through high school and enrolled in Hunter, supporting herself by baby-sitting - the only job she could get without a Social Security number...

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/201 ... z17tM8HNcm
    [/quote]
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

They can

They can and will leave with their parents. They can and will go back to their home country with the free education that Americans kindly paid for. They can and will make their own countries better places after having seen how it can be done.

We gave them priceless experience and education. Now let them use it to help their own people and their own nations.

The president of New York ICE, Joanna Marzullo, graduated from Hunter I think. The way she described it, it sounded like a boot camp for future ACORN activists.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

No civilized nation criminalizes a child's innocent conduct.
    I can’t help but wonder how many civilized nations permit automatic citizenship for sneaking in and being dropped as a baby…
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.