http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/14801350.htm

Posted on Mon, Jun. 12, 2006

Where They Stand: Santorum, Casey on immigration

KIMBERLY HEFLING
Associated Press

What should the United States do about the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States? Should new foreign workers be allowed into the country in the future?

Illegal immigration has become one of the most contentious issues this year in Washington.

Under a bill passed by the Senate, a majority of the illegal immigrants in the country could eventually become legal permanent residents and citizens after paying at least $3,250 in fines, fees and back taxes and learning English. The legislation also sets up a program to bring in 200,000 foreign workers a year and allows them to eventually earn citizenship after meeting similar requirements.

A House bill focuses on enforcement and has no provision for illegal immigrants or future guest workers. The two bills must be negotiated in a House-Senate conference committee before a final bill can be sent to the president.

U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum, a Republican, voted against the Senate bill, which is backed by President Bush. His Democratic opponent, state Treasurer Bob Casey, said he would have voted for it. Here, the two explain their views on immigration issues, in excerpts from answers they provided to written questions.

---__

AP: Please explain whether you support a bill recently passed in the Senate that would give more money for border security, a guest worker program and a shot at citizenship for illegal immigrants.

CASEY: ... From 1999 to 2003, the number of employers who were notified that they would be fined for hiring illegal immigrant went from 417 in 1999 to 3 in 2004. In 1999, there were 2,849 work site arrests. By 2004, that number dropped to only 159.

I support a new direction. My preference was to address the problem in two steps: secure our borders and increase enforcement for employers who hire illegal immigrants first, before dealing with the problem of the illegal immigrants already here. The bipartisan immigration bill that passed the Senate recently, however, attempts to address a myriad of immigration problems in one bill. I have serious reservation about this "kitchen sink" approach, but doing nothing is a far worse option. The immigration bill does contain important reforms that I support - like increased security at our borders and increased enforcement - and I believe, while far from perfect, it will help address the problem.

SANTORUM: I did not support the Senate's immigration reform bill for a number of reasons. It contains a broad amnesty program for most illegal immigrants, will increase financial burdens on honest taxpaying American citizens, and provides incentives for illegal immigrants to raid the Social Security system and lie about their work history.

AP: What's the ideal solution for dealing with the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States?

SANTORUM: I believe we must find a way to address the millions of illegal immigrants here in a way that is humane and realistic, but does not provide amnesty. However, I fundamentally believe that those who are here illegally should return to their home countries and follow the laws to re-enter this country.

CASEY: Ideally, we would have cracked down on employers who hire illegal immigrants and secured the borders ten years ago. ... We need to secure the border and make sure employers do not hire illegal immigrants. I support tough penalties for corporations that hire illegal immigrants. My opponent voted against tougher penalties for those corporations again this year.

AP: Please explain whether you do or do not support building a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border.

CASEY: I support provisions passed by the Senate to strengthen border security by building fences at strategic points on the border, by increasing the number of border patrol agents, and implementing other measures to secure the borders. While in the Senate, Rick Santorum has voted numerous times against increased funding for border security.

SANTORUM: I believe that securing our borders must be our first priority. I support strengthening our Border Patrol, both through greater numbers and technological advancements. With the technology available today, an increase of physical barriers, and an influx of Border Patrol agents to supplement those already performing admirably in these difficult times, a secure, controlled border is very much within our reach.

During consideration of the immigration reform bill, I co-sponsored and voted for an amendment that would authorize the construction of a fence and vehicle barrier along the southwest border of the United States. The amendment directs the Secretary of Homeland Security to construct at least 370 miles of triple-layered fence, and 500 miles of vehicle barrier at strategic locations along the southwest border.

Bob Casey Jr., on the other hand, supports the notion of consulting with Mexico before we can protect our borders.

AP: Many employers hire illegal immigrants. What role do businesses have as part of the solution? What penalty should be there be - if any - for those who hire illegal immigrants? Should it be a felony to hire illegal immigrants?

SANTORUM: I believe we need a strong and workable employer verification system. It is critical that we hold employers accountable to verify the legal status of their employees, and we must provide an effective and practical way for them to make this determination. I also support increased fines for employers who violate the law by hiring illegal immigrants.

CASEY: Enforcement is the key. The Bush administration's inaction on cracking down on employers that hire illegal immigrants contributed to this problem.

I supported a proposal passed by the Senate to double fines for employers that hire illegal immigrants, increase the number of inspectors from 200 to 10,000, and create an electronic verification system. Under this amendment, repeat offenders could face up to three years in prison.

My opponent voted against this amendment. A majority of the Senate, 59 senators, including Sen. (Arlen) Specter (R-Pa.) voted in favor of this amendment.

AP: How critical of an issue is illegal immigration in Pennsylvania? Do you think Pennsylvania is helped or hurt by illegal immigrants who come here to work?

CASEY: Studies have shown that lax action against businesses that cheat the system by hiring illegal workers contributes to depressing wages. ...

SANTORUM: Time and again, while I'm traveling around our commonwealth, Pennsylvanians tell me they oppose amnesty and oppose the Senate's immigration bill. Many believe, just as I do, that illegal immigration is a homeland security issue and if we don't treat illegal immigrants differently than legal immigrants, we will never secure our borders. We need to know who is coming into this country, where they are from, and why they are here.