Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

White Collar Jobs Threatened

http://www.charlotteconservative.com/in ... hreatened/

Article By Writer Michael Kraft

Author: Michael Kraft
    Published: June 18, 2007

We had a recent comment posted by a reader that is also a preofessional in the human resources industry. It is safe to assume this poster knows more about office atmosphere hiring than the senators that will be affecting his lifestyle with their amnesty bill.

We thank this contributor with the use of their sentiments as a featured editorial.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In addition to legalizing the status of those who entered this country illegally, this bill also threatens the careers of American white collar workers because it would greatly increase the number of H-1B visas issued to foreign professional workers.

As a Human Resources professional, I see first hand how the H-1B visa and employment based green card programs actually work together to drive U.S. white collar workers from their jobs and even from their careers. To begin with, there is virtually nothing in the law that prevents employers from hiring H-1Bers for open positions even if qualified Americans are available and willing to do the work. Americans are routinely laid off and replaced with lower paid H-1Bers also. In these cases, Americans have practically no legal recourse available under current law.

H-1B is also a dual intent visa, so an employer may sponsor an H-1Ber for an EB green card for legal permanent resident status. When a company seeks to sponsor a foreign worker for an EB green card, they are required by law to demonstrate a good faith effort to recruit Americans first. This process is called labor certification. But employers routinely game the labor certification process for green card sponsorship to defraud even well qualified citizen job applicants in favor of low wage foreigners. They use fake job ads and/or bad faith interviews of American citizens to convince the federal government that they tried to find American workers first. These practices are common in high tech and even in some non-tech industries, but HR people are told to keep quiet about it or lose their jobs.

I would be in favor of a program that issues a small number of self-sponsoring green cards for truly innovative foreign nationals on a competitive basis. But very few of the H-1Bers or green card applicants that I have seen in 10+ years even come close to being truly innovative. Most are just practitioners with skills that are actually quite common among the domestic workforce. The only thing special about these foreigners is that they will work for substantially less than Americans in order to have a chance to become legal permanent residents. Thus they are used by management to sweeten corporate balance sheets.

The prevailing wage regulations are supposed to insure that foreign nationals are paid the same as their American counterparts in the same job functions, but these regulations are so riddled with loopholes that they are a bad joke.

Since my work allows me to have access to salary records, I can tell you that the labor cost savings for H-1Bers and green card applicants is substantially greater than the costs of filing the applications with the government.

Citizens who call to oppose this bill should also demand that both the H-1B and employment based green card programs be abolished in their current form.

I sometimes wonder if ther is an oversupply of white collarworkers. Peter Schiff of Euro-Pacific Capital had an op-ed piece in the Wall Street Journal saying that employment figures, based upon increasing service sector jobs, was an exeptionally poor indicator of national economic health. That means that fewer people actually produce a valuable item and that more US dollars go overseas to buy products from nations where people actually work at something tangible.

All of these economic components need to be balanced. That is hard in a world where vested interests can put a spin to just about any reasoning related to their own money making endeavor.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I live in a western suburb of Illinois and commute to downtown Chicago. My train is filled primarily Pakistanis, and Asians who rarely if ever speak English during their personal conversations. I have reason to believe that most are here on HB1 Visas and that they have filled a vast majority of the IT positions in offices all over downtown Chicago.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Don't Worry...be happy.

Don't worry about all the IT jobs going to HB-1 visa holders.

The government tells me that these are jobs that Americans won't do. Just like the 300,000 phone support jobs exported to India. The 200,000 programming jobs also exported to India. The 2 million manufacturing jobs exported to China.

We're told that exports are good for the economy. We used to export goods, now we export jobs, soon we'll be exporting citizens to Australlia, New Zealand, Europe, Japan, etc.
    Lunarminer
    Thar's gold in that there moon!

I left Texas Instruments (Austin) years ago for the very exact reason. The company's attitude shifted in the late 80's (after THE ONE AND ONLY AMNESTY of 1986) and it was quite obvious what the future had in store. Back then my co-workers thought I was nuts complaining about outsourcing and importing cheap labor. Seeing that I was approaching 50 at the time and a prime lay-off target, I quit on my terms and started my own business. And guess what? There is a huge demand for American made products!

Re: Don't Worry...be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarminer
    Don't worry about all the IT jobs going to HB-1 visa holders.

The government tells me that these are jobs that Americans won't do. Just like the 300,000 phone support jobs exported to India. The 200,000 programming jobs also exported to India. The 2 million manufacturing jobs exported to China.

We're told that exports are good for the economy. We used to export goods, now we export jobs, soon we'll be exporting citizens to Australlia, New Zealand, Europe, Japan, etc.
    We both know that our government is full of treasonous liars, which is why we have to keep faxing, calling and emailing to get our point across. Which is: We are not jumping at the chance to become unemployed 3rd world globalists in our own country.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Thanks for posting that. It actually brings to mind a whole other front we can open on this bill. Someone else posted this earlier about H1B fraud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Here is another interesting video. A consulting company telling companies how to discourage US workers in favor of H1Bs.

http://freedomfolks.com/blog/2007/06/17 ... isa-train/[/url]
    287(g) + e-verify + SSN no match = Attrition through enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by TexSawdust
    I left Texas Instruments (Austin) years ago for the very exact reason. The company's attitude shifted in the late 80's (after THE ONE AND ONLY AMNESTY of 1986) and it was quite obvious what the future had in store. Back then my co-workers thought I was nuts complaining about outsourcing and importing cheap labor. Seeing that I was approaching 50 at the time and a prime lay-off target, I quit on my terms and started my own business. And guess what? There is a huge demand for American made products!
    I wonder if this is true of IT and high tech products? Certainly Microsoft's sucess points to a demand. My fear is that Indian or Chinese talent will eventually outstrip us there, too; is that not being evidenced in the H1-B visa program? Sign of things to come?

I have some internationally innovative ideas but they are more in the humanitarian realm than in business venture. My bread and butter is highly threatened by insourcing.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)