Jim Steineke column: Illegal immigrants getting county benefits is unfair

For well over two centuries, people from all over the world have come to America in hopes of finding a better life.

They traveled by boat, by plane and by foot. They left all that they knew and loved, many risking their very lives to come to a foreign land that held so much promise, and yet was so unknown to them.

Without ever taking a breath on American soil and without ever experiencing the freedom of democracy, they bought into the American dream.

They dreamed of a day that their children could play in the yard without fear of bombs falling from the sky. They dreamed of being able to carve out their own niches in a friendly neighborhood and owning a home of their own. They also dreamed of the day that they could speak fluent English, many of them never going back to their native languages.

They would dream of the day that they would not stand out in a crowd, of a day that they would speak and act just like everyone else.

In short, they dreamed of becoming Americans. And they were willing to wait for their dreams to come true.

Those days seem to be gone. Today, it seems that there are many who believe that they don't have to follow our laws. They believe that their unfortunate circumstance is reason enough for them to skip to the head of the line.

And then, instead of learning the language and culture, they march in the streets of this country carrying foreign flags, demanding that their rights be recognized, demanding legal status. And insinuating, somehow, that we owe them something.

I don't buy it for a second. However pure their intentions, however laudable their goals, they have entered into this country as felons.

They have made a conscious choice to break our laws, and we punish those who commit crimes.

The federal government has been unwilling to do anything of substance to stem the tide of illegals crossing the border.

For whatever reason, it has turned its back to the problem and is only willing to put forward weak legislation that would only reward the illegals with a spot in the front of a line in which they have never stood.

This has left us at the local level with so many problems, I couldn't mention them all. One that I will address, however, is the issue of illegal immigrants being able to qualify for county benefits. This is one area in which I feel I can actually make a difference.

These days, we have an overwhelming number of people who come to counties for benefits. They come from all walks of life and for many different reasons. But there's one common thread among them. They're looking to us for help.

Unfortunately, most of our programs have waiting lists, and they aren't short. There are many requirements to qualify for these programs, but proof of citizenship isn't among them.

When I found this out, it made me cringe. We may be providing benefits to people in this country illegally while making our taxpaying citizens wait in line. This is unacceptable.

I have offered a resolution to the county board that would mandate that all new applicants for benefits would have to prove their legal status to qualify. Those already in programs would have to provide such proof at the next review of their benefit status.

It's only fair.

In an era in which so much of this debate focuses on the unfair treatment of those here illegally, there must be those of us willing to stand up and say how unfair their conduct is, and how it's affecting our citizens, as well as the people patiently waiting their turn in line.

We may be a small voice in the wilderness, making a small impact, but I truly hope someone is listening.

Jim Steineke Jim Steineke is a Vandenbroek

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 00555/1036