Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

WI Lawmakers Mull Driver's Cards For Illegal Immigrants

Lawmakers Mull Driver's Cards For Illegal Immigrants
    Measure Is Part Of State Budget Proposal

UPDATED: 7:36 am CDT June 23, 2009

Video

MADISON, Wis. -- Every day, thousands of illegal immigrants get behind the wheel of a vehicle and drive without a license.

A measure in the proposed state budget would allow those who are in Wisconsin illegally to get a state-issued driver's card if they can pass driving tests. While supporters think the plan would make roads safer, opponents argue that it would simply encourage people to break the law.

Carlos Valentin, an officer of the Madison Police Department, said he supports the measure.

"The more eligible drivers and qualified drivers we have on the roads, the safer it is for the roads to remain that way," Valentin said.

The proposal would allow driver's certificates for immigrants who are otherwise driving the roads without a license. It was in the state Assembly's budget bill, but not in the Senate's version passed last week.

Basilisa Hernandez, who has lived in Wisconsin for many years, said she was one of many immigrants who came to the state Capitol Monday urging Senate lawmakers for their support. Supporters organized a rally.

"We don't have driver's licenses. It's a big trouble for us. I have five kids. I have to go to school," Hernandez said. "I have to drive because, you know, you can't survive. We don't have [an] option."

Valentin said the Madison Police Department supports the bill because it would train all drivers to obey traffic laws.

"We know that there are going to be people driving on the roads and they're going to drive whether they have a license or not," said Valentin, "There'd be less accidents because people know how to drive better."

But some lawmakers, like Republican Sen. Glenn Grothman, disagree.

"We shouldn't be sending a message that you should be here illegally. We should be sending a message that you should be here legally, and there are plenty of people that are coming to this country legally," Grothman said.

Grothman said the state should be consistent with federal immigration laws.

"It's kind of implying that those laws should not be obeyed. The government should never be in the position to encourage people to break the law," he said.

But for drivers without licenses like Hernandez, this bill could mean a new opportunity.

"You have to decide are you going to pay one ticket or are you going to buy some food for your children? So, it's too difficult for families," said Hernandez.

The certificates would only be awarded if applicants passed the same driving tests as U.S. citizens. The licenses would cost $28 and need to be renewed every two years, WISC-TV reported.

Utah is currently the only state that has this law.

Previous Stories:
    June 22, 2009: Immigrant Groups Seek Driver's Card, Tuition Break
    June 1, 2009: Wisconsin Would Be Second State To Issue Cards To Illegal Immigrants

Copyright 2009 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.channel3000.com/politics/198 ... etail.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

options

"We don't have [an] option."

I guess you overlooked the option to NOT break the law. Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. NO SYMPATHY.

You guys need to watch that video. Notice how they ran around throught the capitol building like it was a high school pep rally. Oh and they were chanting See See Peddy.

Just what in the hell is Peddy? JK.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We don't have driver's licenses. It's a big trouble for us. I have five kids. I have to go to school," Hernandez said. "I have to drive because, you know, you can't survive. We don't have [an] option."
    What a load of crap! Go to school? FIVE kids? How about going HOME? I find this more than disgusting.

Dixie, their chant is Si Se Puede: Yes we can. Just like Dumbama's!

Why would anyone want to drivers licenses to illegal aliens. Its like saying you broke the law to come into our country, but here is a special license so you can drive while you are here. ENFORCE THE LAWS. ILLEGAL ALIENS GET DEPORTED NOT REWARDED.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That argument that illegals need drivers licnesnes for safety reasons is just bill. They will not go down and pay to get finger printed to drive when they can drive without a licence. The only reason they want a license is because it is a state issued document and a gateway document for other transactions and benefits.

Driving is not the motivation for wanting that law passed.

Dixie