Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Wilkes-Barre taking a wait-and-see approach to an illegal im

http://www.citizensvoice.com/site/news. ... 5154&rfi=6

Wilkes-Barre taking a wait-and-see approach to an illegal immigration ordinance

BY WADE MALCOLM
    STAFF WRITER
    10/07/2006

Members of Wilkes-Barre City Council have discussed the possibility of enacting a law similar to Hazleton’s illegal immigration ordinance.

It won’t pass any time soon. But, eventually, it could, according to four council members.

“We’ve mentioned it, but we’re kind of staying back on it,” Councilwoman Kathy Kane said.

“We don’t want to be open to a lawsuit. We can’t afford it for our taxpayers right now.”

Attorneys advised the city not to act on any immigration ordinance until the Hazleton lawsuit plays out in federal court. At least four members of city council, however, agreed in principle with part or all of the Hazleton ordinance.

While Kane said she supports only the English-only portion of the Hazleton ordinances, Councilman Jim McCarthy and council Chairman Tony Thomas agree with Hazleton’s ordinance, but added illegal immigration is not enough of a problem in the city to warrant an ordinance and risk a lawsuit.

“Any time you draft legislation, you have to be careful not to step on anyone’s constitutional toes, which is what’s happening to Mayor (Lou) Barletta,” McCarthy said.

Council Vice Chairman William Barrett, however, said he would not vote for an ordinance similar to Hazleton’s. Instead, he favors adding a provision to the city’s landlord ordinance that would prohibit landlords from renting to illegal immigrants.

“It’s not being handled well at the federal level, but I believe it should be handled at that level,” he said. “I don’t think we have to pass a redundant local ordinance.”

Councilman Phillip Latinski said he is not familiar enough with Hazleton’s ordinance to know whether he would vote for it, but he is certain of his stance on illegal immigrants.

“If they’re illegal, then they’re wrong,” Latinski said.

First proposed by Barletta in June, Hazleton’s ordinance was the first of its kind in the United States. The ordinance has spread to municipalities throughout the country and Northeastern Pennsylvania. Two suburbs of Hazleton, a city of 30,000, passed similar laws. Wilkes-Barre and Plains townships also have discussed Hazleton-type ordinances. An illegal immigration ordinance was proposed in Forty Fort this summer, but it was ultimately rejected.

wmalcolm@citizensvoice.com

©The Citizens Voice 2006
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They don't want a lawsuit?

They are afraid of being sued by illegals?

What a joke, Americans have become the softest shelled crustaceans in the world. I can't believe there is even this much discussion about it.

Mexico doesn't allow their illegals to discuss it, why should we?

The illegals have not had a big enough impact on the city yet. According to the newspaper articles I have read about Wilkes-Barre, that is just not true. Either these council members live where they don't see the problem, or they are pretending that there is no problem. Same goes for the City of Scranton. I see it, and many of the people in the community see it, but the Mayor doesn't see it. How is this? I also noticed lately, in our local papers, that when there is a robbery, shooting, car chase, beating, etc.. the paper may give a description of the person, such as 5'4" tall, dark hair, brown eyes, but will very seldom mention, white, black, hispanic. As a matter of fact, Scranton has a complete section of the city that has been over-taken by the illegals. We call it "Little Mexico". I guess the Mayor hasn't been to that part of the city before. The food pantries are already crying for help for the holidays saying that there will not be enough to go around if people do not start donating. This is nothing but a big joke, but I do feel eventually, something will be done, because the legal residents of Scranton, and Wilkes-Barre will not stand for this.

“We don’t want to be open to a lawsuit. We can’t afford it for our taxpayers right now.”
    What utter rubbish. Yet you seem to not mind giving the illegals every freebie in the book. Remember in November.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn