Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Will tough new Georgia immigration law keep visitors away?

Will tough new Georgia immigration law keep visitors away?

By Laura Bly, USA TODAY

That's the concern of tourism promoters, who worry that a measure patterned after Arizona's controversial law could lead to similar cancellations in the Peach State.

Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park is among the Georgia destinations that could be hurt if a tough new immigration measure is signed into law this week, tourism backers say.

Republican Gov. Nathan Deal is expected to sign Georgia's bill into law this week. The legislation would allow police to investigate the immigration status of certain suspects, and punish those who transport or harbor illegal immigrants in the state. Supporters say illegal immigrants are straining the resources of state schools, hospitals and jails, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and they point to a recent Pew Hispanic Center estimate that says Georgia is home to 425,000 illegal immigrants - more than those in Arizona.

But opponents, including the Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau, fear that Georgia could suffer "the same economic impacts that Arizona felt last year after enacting the nation's toughest immigration enforcement law," says the Journal-Constitution.

According to the Arizona Hotel & Lodging Association, the Grand Canyon State has lost about 40 conventions since the law passed, even though a federal judge blocked major portions of the Arizona legislation before it could take effect. A study released last fall by the Center for American Progress, a liberal policy group that opposes Arizona's immigration law, estimates that canceled conventions have cost the state $141 million in direct spending, along with 2,761 jobs and $9.4 million in tax revenue.

Elsewhere, the Florida legislature adjourned Saturday without an agreement on a tough immigration bill sought by the governor and attorney general. And a civil rights group has filed for a preliminary injunction to block a Utah immigration law slated to take effect Tuesday.

Posted May 9 2011 11:00AM

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations ... -/169332/1
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

every state & every town should have Tough Law just like AZ
    Im with Gov jan this is our country not mexico or any other country . every country has law also . & we should respect the laws
    of every other country . & if you can not respect the law get the hell out .
    No amnesty
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

working4change
    Related Thread Here
    ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION;
    Crackdown could cost state

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-237397-geo ... mmigration

Au contraire mis amis, it would make me want to visit GA more.

I will not willingly go to any state where laws are not enforced, wouldn't feel safe.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Banned
    I also think people will visit more people are tired of seeing illegals this would be one way to get away from them.I have quit going to flea markets around home bacause all you see is hispanics.I get tired of seeing them and hearing them speak.It would make it more atractive to out of town guest knowing they dont have to put up with illegals.

Every state should havve tough laws like in Arizona

I live in Arizona and the laws are not tough enough. There is a strong Hispanic communitiy who love to bring their bring more and more people into this country. I am 100% against Amnesty for illegal Immigrants. If that comes to pass you might as well open the jail cells and let the criminals free. I believe that problems start at the border. There are many who come through at Nogales and wher they end who will no, New York, Chicago, Denver you never know. I won't tell the story of what happens after the illegal immigrant comes in and makes himself to home. The fight against illegal immigration must not stop at the border. The fact is our problems only start at the border. Look behind any door in America and you never know what you will find. When the bill trying to give Immigration laws some teeth many stood up and called it profiling. They said that before we know it people with strong Hispanic accents will be taken to jail. The truth is we have all the laws on the books now, the problem is they are not held. All the law asks is if the officer feels there is probable cause they ask the person for valid identification. That is something we are all asked at any traffic stop. Drivers Licsence, prooff of insurance and registration. That is what is asked of every American ciiizen who is topped by a traffic cop. Our police are highly trained and have very good instincts. I am not saying they never make mistakes but when they are right time and time again that makes them excelnt tools against crime.
    Criminals, that iswhat we are talking about. It is against the law to come into this country and use our resources that Americans have paid taxes for. It seems to me that not all immigrants are made alike. We have a kind of illegal immigrant that say there purpose is just to get a job. But these illegal immigrans refuse to learn English, they feel it would be against their culture. So the country bends over backwards to make things easier for this illegal immigrants. Everything is "we speak Spanish" it is everywhere you look. Pick up a phone and it gives you the option to speak to a Spanish speaking person. It seems you can't get a job if you don't speak Spanish but if your Englilsh is not good at all you can get a job. Even on the internet there are pages in Spanish. Go to the grocery store and yoiu can choose at the elf checkout instructions in Spanish. You don't see that sort of things as much for other immigrants that come in. My family is Greek, when we first came into the country many generations ago the first thing they did was learn English. They came in legaly. There was a time that America could aford to take in people from many countries. There was the Oklahoma homestead act. That is where strong people took their place with others in order to get their piece of the American Dream, and it worked. It stopped working many years ago. I heard a woman say she felt sorry for people who had to listen to American all the time and it would be nice to hear it in Spanish. That is not true with just about everything is available in Spanish. I don't hate the hispanic people I just don't know when this will end, how long will America be American. I was evicted from my home because I could not get a job and could not get a job because I do not speak Spanish. People tell me I need to learn Spanish and I am the bigot because say no to learning Spanish. I have been told I am the wrong demegraphic, and American citizen who does not speak Spanish. I have seen signs and pamplets that are in Spanish but where is the same thing in English? I ask and nobody seems to know. I think this the way things are going it is just as dangerous as a run on the bank. If you don't know what a run on the bank is just ask anyone who lived through the great depressioin. I have friends who rrefuse to even tallk about this. Americans who will not discuss what is wrong with illegal immigration. The same Americans would not have any problems talking about home invasion robery or bank robbers. The Americans want to be the good guys all the time. They feel if we are against the illegal immigrants they are no longer the good guys. All I am asking is that we uphold the laws that are already on the books. If they want to live in America than come in here legally. These people are not coming in on a free ride. They pay thousands of dollars for the privildge. I am told they save up first. It would take me forever and a day to save up one thousand, let alone anywhere from two thousand to six thousand depending how far they come. How can they save up all ths money if there a no jobs in Mexico. It takes allot of work for people to save up one thousand dollars. I live on social security because I can no longer work. I live below the poverty level and cherish each dollar I get. But people who come through from Mexico have support from chuches and people who just don't understand what is going on. I have aleady talked to much. There is so much more I can say. My name is Samantha and my heart belongs to the stars and bars. What about you?