Woman hurt when pushed from car during chase

By: JOHN HALL - Staff Writer
NORTH COUNTY TIMES
SAN DIEGO / RIVERSIDE COUNTY , CALIFORNIA

TEMECULA -- A brief chase of suspected illegal immigrants Friday morning left one woman slightly injured after she was pushed from the vehicle being pursued, according to U.S. Border Patrol officials.

The chase started near the immigration checkpoint on northbound Interstate 15 just south of Temecula, said Agent James Jacques, a spokesman at the Border Patrol's San Diego sector office.

"One of the most dangerous things smugglers are doing now is leaving the vehicle in gear as they bail out," Jacques said.

Knowing that pursuing agents will be busy making sure the still-moving vehicle does not injure anyone gives those fleeing a few extra seconds, he said.

In Friday's chase, Jacques said, "It appears a woman was pushed out of the vehicle by someone behind her" as several people tried to get out.

The woman ended up with a dislocated thumb, he said.

Jacques said he did not have information about whether a smuggler or someone else in the vehicle pushed the woman out and whether she was pushed out intentionally to divert pursuing agents.

While Jacques did not have details about where the chase ended, Temecula police were called to assist in the search for those who fled and said it happened near I-15 and Rancho California Road.

Investigator Jerry Franchville, a spokesman for the Police Department, said officers were told of the pursuit around 7:30 a.m. and that Border Patrol agents were looking for about six people who had fled.

Shortly after 8 a.m., Temecula police officers had detained two people who were then turned over to Border Patrol agents, Franchville said.

Contact staff writer John Hall at (951) 676-4315, Ext. 2628, or jhall@californian.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/12 ... _28_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

not to be racist... wrote on Dec 28, 2007 11:04 PM:
" This just reassures me that illegal immigration is a problem and our country needs stricter enforcement, laws, or whatever it takes. Yes, I know that there are "law abiding" illegal aliens in our country doing their fair share of work, however in situations like this, they cause trouble. They hit an innocent woman, injuring her, then cause more resources to be expended in the chase afterwards. Our country has enough problems with legal citizens, let alone illegal foreigners.
It is a common occurrence, illegal aliens trying to cash in a paycheck, only to be asked for ID. They say they don't have any and try to weasel their way into getting it cashed. My point is that illegal aliens have a valid reason for being here, but they must follow the proper procedures, even if it means getting caught up in years of political red tape. My parents did, and so did my relatives. It just isn't fair for these people to hold things up in bank lines, cause an accident and have no license/insurance, and not pay income tax. I am all for equality for all legal citizens!! "

The smugglers don't care about the women! wrote on Dec 29, 2007 12:00 AM:
" Please pleases, everyone watch the movie "Border". You will see what these smugglers are doing especially to the women. Unlike what Brigid Brett,NCT opinion writer thinks, the border and what happens to EVERYONE surrounding it is very scary!! Ms. Brigid, they care nothing about the women. The rape trees are everywhere!! "

Women are expendable! wrote on Dec 29, 2007 12:03 AM:
" Just toss the woman out of the car so you can get away. Isn't that nice. The human traffickers are very scary! They bring poor young women into our county as sex slaves. Watch the "Fields of Shame" on you tube. You will see how young Mexican girls are trafficked. Very sad! These girls must be helped! "

Bro Rufus wrote on Dec 29, 2007 5:43 AM:
" Here's another story about ILLEGAL ALIENS! Why do the liberals stand up for the ILLEGAL ALIENS when the ALIENS do stuff like this? Pushing someone out of a car? They should be charged with ATTEMPTED MURDER. This is a fine example of why we need to GET RID OF ALL THE ILLEGAL ALIENS!! If these guys were "immigrants," wouldn't they have a green card or visa? If they don't, maybe it's because they are ALIENS. I wish NCT would not slant its reporting by employing eupemisms like "immigrant" in this sort of context. They're abusing my language. The correct term is ALIEN. "

Renee wrote on Dec 29, 2007 8:46 AM:
" When is this country going to take control of its borders? Other countries do. It is not racist to do so,its to protect the integrity of our country. Some countries require that if you want to migrate to their country, you have to be married to a natural born citizen, have a job lined up and have money in the bank so that you are not a burden on society. Illegal aliens are costing our country more and more each year, they know how to go about it and our country allows it. It needs to stop now... "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/12 ... _28_07.txt