Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Women in Border Patrol up 40 percent

The U.S. Border Patrol's rapid growth is offering opportunities for women as well as men in the traditionally male-dominated law enforcement agency.

Just ask Carla Provost and Karla Ceraso.

Provost recently became chief of the patrol's Wellton station, while Ceraso, a Yuma Sector agent, said she plans to rise through the ranks of the agency to an administrative post.

And more women are joining the patrol today.

The number of women agents has increased 40 percent nationwide during a period from 2006 to 2008.

But nationally, women make up just over 5 percent of Border Patrol agents.

And in the Yuma Sector, Ceraso is one of about 40 women agents, out of 980, bringing the percentage of women to around 4 percent.

Ceraso, who's been with the Border Patrol in the Yuma Sector for four years, said it's not about being a man or a woman - you have to love what you do.

"When I'm out here, I don't think to myself, 'I'm a girl,'" Ceraso said. "I just do it. I really don't see it different than any other agent would."

Wellton Station Chief Carla Provost said she wants the patrol to reach 10 percent women agents, comparable with other law enforcement agencies.

"I would certainly hope that we could reach that level."

Ceraso said male agents treat her equally, and just like at the academy for her training, the requirements for women in the field are exactly the same as for the men.

"They treat me just like anyone else. It's amazing how we all come together and work together."

But her experiences with the patrol have made her think about her role as a wife and mother.

Now, she said, her son is old enough to understand what she does as an agent, and being a mom brings a different perspective to her job.

She said before, she had "tunnel vision" and never really thought of the consequences of her job.

But, Ceraso said, just like her, male agents have families, too.

"Our number-one motto is, 'You make it home to your family at the end of the night.'"

Ceraso also said she thinks being a woman does comfort some people who cross the border illegally. She said it especially comforts the women and children who cross - just seeing a woman agent helps them feel better.

At the academy, Ceraso said, she had two other women agents in her class. And though the academy was tough, she said the challenge was "exciting" and "fun."

She said the three bonded and stuck together, and after "you become a better person."

Some classes don't have any women in them, Ceraso said, and she respects the fact she had two other females in her class.

Originally from San Diego, Ceraso said growing up so close the border, she knew she wanted to be in law enforcement.

She loves the "adventure" of her job and she'd encourage anyone with the right desire and qualities to consider a job with the patrol.

And with a push for both male and female agents, the Border Patrol continues to grow.

"I believe that this job is for anyone, not just females, that want to be a Border Patrol agent," Ceraso said.

"I think there's always room for more (women). But there's always room for more agents period."

--
    Stephanie A. Wilken can be reached at swilken@yumasun.com or 539-6857.

http://www.yumasun.com/news/border_4865 ... atrol.html

Congratulations goes out to these women and the job they are performing!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou