Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Woohoo! Tancredo pulls plug on sanctuary cities

Tancredo pulls plug on 'sanctuary cities'
    Even Democrats throw support behind amendment to nix funds to local governments shielding illegals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: June 16, 2007
    6:30 p.m. Eastern

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo.
    The eighth time was a charm for Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., when the House passed his amendment to the Department of Homeland Security appropriations bill yesterday to withhold federal emergency-services funding from "sanctuary cities" that protect illegal aliens.

The 234-to-189 tally included 50 Democrats voting in favor.

"The issue has come to fruition," Tancredo told the Rocky Mountain News. "The people of the country really have spoken. It's a really good indicator of just how much closer to the people the House is than the Senate is."

Tancredo has offered the similar amendments at least seven times since 2004 and all have failed, some by wide margins.

The amendment passed yesterday does not include a definition of "sanctuary city." The Homeland Security appropriations bill now goes to the Senate.

(Story continues below)

Known for his fierce opposition to illegal immigration and the failure of the federal government to secure U.S. borders, Tancredo has focused particular criticism on local governments across the country that have declared themselves sanctuary cities, refusing in varying degrees to allow law enforcement and city personnel to inquire about individuals' legal status.

As WND reported, Tancredo cited Miami, a sanctuary city, when criticizing President Bush's views on immigration.

"People have to understand what we're talking about here. The president of the United States is an internationalist," Tancredo told WND in an exclusive interview. "He is going to do what he can to create a place where the idea of America is just that – it's an idea. It's not an actual place defined by borders. I mean this is where this guy is really going."

"Look at what has happened to Miami. It has become a Third World country," he said. "You just pick it up and take it and move it someplace. You would never know you're in the United States of America. You would certainly say you're in a Third World country."

In the ensuing uproar following those remarks, Tancredo reiterated his position in a letter to Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida.:

"Do you not worry that Miami's 'sanctuary city' rules serve as a magnet for illegal aliens and undercut the state's otherwise sound law enforcement policies? Do you worry that a recent random community survey on 'Miami values' found that corruption was listed as the number one 'value' by residents?

In 2005, Tancredo criticized Denver's sanctuary policy after an illegal alien, who worked in a restaurant co-owned by Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper, was identified as a suspect in the fatal shooting of a police detective.

Restaurant managers told police the 19-year-old illegal had presented a resident-alien card when he applied for the job. "You could see that this card was fake," a police source close to the investigation said.

The suspect had been given three traffic citations in Denver, but federal immigration officials had not been contacted, even though his legal status could not be confirmed.

"Denver's sanctuary policy prevents local law enforcement from cooperating with federal officials on immigration matters, despite federal law which explicitly prohibits such a policy," said Tancredo, while questioning whether the mayor's restaurant had done enough to verify the suspect's legal status when he was hired.

Last year, Tancredo and other Colorado anti-illegal activists launched a campaign in Denver criticizing the city's sanctuary policy implemented eight years before by then-Mayor Wellington Webb.

It was a label Webb disputed.

"There are no ordinances, executive orders or regulations that establish a 'sanctuary policy' in Denver," the mayor's spokesperson said at the time.

"Denver's policies comply with federal law, and Denver law enforcement officers cooperate with federal officials on immigration matters. Federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials have said Denver is not a sanctuary city, so merely erecting a misleading billboard doesn't make it true."

Courtesy: KMGH-TV, Denver

Ignoring the question of semantics, Tancredo's campaign attacked the policy through a series of billboards.

"Mr. President, Mr. Governor, Mr. Mayor – They did not die for ... ILLEGAL SANCTUARY," read one of the messages featuring three military rifles, each stuck bayonet-first into the ground and topped with a helmet.

Another declared, "Welcome to SANCTUARY CITY ... Relax, you made it! Brought to you by Executive Order 116," referring to the 1998 order barring discrimination against illegals.

Tancredo's victory in the House comes on the eve of efforts by Bush and the Senate to revive debate next week on the administration's failed immigration-reform plan. He said the sanctuary-city amendment's passage indicates the House would defeat the current immigration bill if it passes in the Senate.

"If I were Nancy Pelosi, I'd be asking if she could pass a vote on amnesty on the House side," Tancredo said. "If she lost 50 Democrats on this one, and she says she needs 70 Republicans to pass the immigration plan, this is an interesting indicator of things coming down the pike, and that the timhttp://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar ... ID=56215es, they are a-changing."
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

It's about time! I heard the other day that the mayor of Los Angeles, a well-known sancutary city, is asking the Federal Government for more of our tax money to help with their crime problems. Perhaps L.A. wouldn't have so much crime if they weren't such a magnet for illegals? If you lie down with dogs, you're gonna get fleas.

I don't want my tax money going to subsidize their sanctuary policy!! Let them deal with their problems on their own. They made their bed, now they need to lie in it!

If they stop and reverse the sanctuary nonsense, then okay, they can get help, otherwise I say no way L.A.!! Or any other sanctuary city for that matter! I for one am sick and tired of this BS and it has to stop! Thank you, Tom Tancredo for standing up for Americans!!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

This is great news!!! Way to go Tancredo, lets hope it passes the Senate!!We have to make a stand somewhere.

.................................................. .................................................. .......
    "IMPORANT! IMPORTANT! IMPORTANT!"
    ...............................Check out this link everyone!!.................................
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=68894
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    COME ON EVERYONE WHO EVER HAS TIME LETS FILL THEIR MAIL BOXES TODAY!! LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
    INSTRUCTIONS AND POSTING THREAD LINK BELOW!
    Leave posts so we know what they are saying!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=388532
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

If he accomplished this, can you imagene what he would do as President??

this was very good news! our next president MUST be Mr Tancredo! every president at one time was an unknown, we can change that! i have become much bolder in talking politics, in every day life. ie: when i'm waiting for my daughter getting a lesson in her sport there are usually other parents around i now bring up some of these important issues of the day and use Mr Tancredos name frequently. i have been shocked at how many people share our view but felt hopeless not knowing what they can do (usually they are open for alipac recruitment). i know many people on this list are already doing that and much more, but there are allot of new visitors and members who need to start or do more of it.

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Congress and the Senate should do everything in their power to prevent these sanctuary cities from blocking federal law. Our federal government should not stand for municipal leadership to recklessly challenge and defy immigration law without serious implications. If these cities, and states for that matter, want to rewrite policies in their own sentiments, they should be prevented from all claims to federal assistance including emergency, education, medical, social benefits, housing, etc.

We should publish a complete list of these mayors here on ALIPAC.
    Many of them will try to run for higher office and should be defeated on this record alone.

Here are two for sure:

Antonio Villaraigosa - Los Angeles
    Gavin Newsom - San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTX
    If he accomplished this, can you imagene what he would do as President??
    I agree. We need a man like him as President. He can help put our nation back on the right path.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

April
    GOOOOOOO TOM!!!!