Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Work permits for illegal aliens may mean licenses, too

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Work permits for illegal aliens may mean licenses, too

Work permits for crossers may mean licenses, too

10 hours ago • Howard Fischer Capitol Media Services

PHOENIX - Arizona officials are waiting to see if the decision by the Obama administration to provide work permits to some illegal immigrants would require the state to give them driver's licenses.

Tim Tait, spokesman for the Arizona Department of Transportation, said Wednesday that his agency is studying last week's directive that allows many who were brought to the U.S. as children to seek to defer being prosecuted for being in this country illegally and to avoid being deported.

Under a 1996 Arizona law, anyone seeking a driver's license must prove identity and legal presence in this country. The same requirement exists for identification cards issued by the ADOT.

Technically speaking, Friday's move does not grant legal status to anyone who entered the country illegally or overstayed a visa. But the order does say those who qualify will be issued permits by the federal government entitling them to work legally.

Tait said that raises a host of issues.

"At this time it's not known how or if the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's announcement to exercise discretion will affect the requirements for credential issuances," Tait said.

He said Homeland Security has said it will take about 60 days to implement the directive.

"States like Arizona will await further information before we decide how to proceed," he said.

How many Arizonans might be affected remains unclear.

Homeland Security is using a figure of 800,000 illegal immigrants being affected nationwide.

But the Migration Policy Institute, working with the guidelines as announced by the administration, figures the number at closer to 1.4 million.

Organization spokeswoman Michelle Mittelstadt said about 50,000 of these people are presumed to be in Arizona.

The possibility of the president's actions affecting state law annoyed Gov. Jan Brewer.

Press aide Matthew Benson said his boss "stands with the majority of Arizonans in opposing the distribution of driver licenses or any other public benefits to illegal aliens."

But that has not kept the governor from using the administration's move to her political advantage: She sent out an email earlier this week on behalf of her federal political action committee.

"I have set a goal of raising $50,000 in opposition to this ridiculous policy," the message reads. "Will you help me reach the goal by donating today?"

The governor defended the move.

"I know I have to raise money for my PAC if I'm going to get my message out, if I'm going to be able to do things it's going to take to get the job done on this upcoming election," she told Capitol Media Services.

On StarNet: Find more immigration-related news go to azstarnet.com/border

Work permits for crossers may mean licenses, too
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They shouldn't have jobs or licenses. If their parents didn't bring them illegally, they would still be in their own damned countries and not strangers to it. Because of their parents we are forced to deal with thousands of their kids. Enough is enough!!!

I'm thinking we need a much more humanitarian approach then "deporting illegal aliens".

Instead we shall call them "Misplaced and Lost Citizens" and our humanitarian duty is that we help them find their homes once more.

After all isn't it just about the spin machine making it sound like they want it to?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiara View Post
    They shouldn't have jobs or licenses. If their parents didn't bring them illegally, they would still be in their own damned countries and not strangers to it. Because of their parents we are forced to deal with thousands of their kids. Enough is enough!!!
    make that millions of their kids

well I said it befor Obama roll Out the red carpet for all illegal immigrant not only fro Mexico look around
    you. On your Street or town or City . they are saying you can not touch us . why obama has all the say
    we just pay the bill . yes we are are Very P//// about this so don't just stand by & let this happen
    a for other guy . Mitt I don't like him at all . I want some one to get all of the other Country the hell out also
    yes they also have our job . no two way about . the American has to stand Up & fight .
    im still out of a job .yes the illegal immigrants lol at us .& don't asy they don't get Obama
    The hell out & as for this other guy I would vote for him at all
    I wnat some one with back bone .
    & gov jan & Joe are the only one with that I said this befor & it want not on the broad
    why I don't know . I say what on my mind
    No amnesty or Dream act

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Of course the goal was licenses and then the voting booth, you can't do a good takeover if you can't vote illegally. If they get their foot in the door they escalate. JMO
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn