http://www.news-journal.com

Working to bridge the gap
Program aims to teach Spanish-speaking residents that department is 'here to help'

By BARBARA RAMIREZ

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A new program by the Longview Police Department hopes to bridge the gap between police officers and Longview's Spanish-speaking residents.

During an educational class Tuesday at Valley View Elementary School on Alpine Road, the department focused on getting more of Longview's Spanish speaking residents involved in their activities.

The department held its third Police Service Academy class, targeted at Spanish-speaking people. The department began holding the classes Jan. 31. Classes are held at 6 p.m. each Tuesday and Thursday at Valley View Elementary School.

Like the Citizens Police Academy, the Police Service Academy educates its members about all types of topics ranging from traffic and criminal law to family violence and patrol procedures, said Assistant Chief of Police Robert Eberz.

The new academy aims to teach Spanish-speaking residents that "police officers don't only arrest people and write tickets. We're here to help, too," Eberz said. "Longview's Hispanic population is growing, and the department wants to make sure we're protecting all our citizens."

The only way to fully protect the Hispanic population is to understand the problems Hispanic people face, Eberz added.

"If you want to know what the problems are in the Hispanic community, you have to talk to the Hispanic community," Eberz said.

Not only is the academy educational for its members, Eberz said the department also hopes to learn as much as possible from those people who attend the meetings, in order to better recognize problems they face.

"We have a good connection with the people who are here, and hopefully we'll continue that connection, so that when they leave they'll keep in touch with us and let us know what's going on in their communities," Eberz said.

Eberz said the department hopes to create neighborhood watches in Spanish-speaking communities.

Three police officers who are fluent Spanish-speakers teach the classes, and two Longview Police Department staff members help watch the class members' children.

About 30 people attend the class weekly, Eberz said.

"I think this is wonderful," said Nydia Molina, a Columbian native who attended Tuesday's class with her daughter, Angelica Garcia.

"If I educate myself, I can educate others," Molina said. "We come from other countries so it's nice that we can learn about laws and the police here."