http://www.team4news.com/Global/stor...42309&nav=0w0v

Reported by Ryan Wolf

So close yet so far.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the Pharr/Reynosa port of entry say they busted up would-be parent plans to smuggle across the youngest person ever at the bridge.

A newborn Mexican baby girl-- just hours old-- 10 to be exact.

The agency says a sixth sense kicked in after the alleged parents made a major mistake.

"In this case the mother was driving... that was odd."

Immigration Chief David Moreno says the mere sight was enough to further question the alleged parents Lynn Vela and her husband Jose from Donna.

The results?

"She changed her story several times."

It netted nothing but lies.

Chief Moreno says the Vela's could produce no birth certificate for their alleged "10-day old." Further questioning led to this admittance.

They claimed they could not have children of their own. The painful truth Moreno says lead the couple to extreme measures.

The individual that tried to smuggle the baby in had claimed she paid $800. An incorrigible decision leaving an indelible image among parents we spoke with.

"I can't imagine how anyone would sell their child," says Jeane Womack of Harlingen.

"I can sort of understand how people would be desperate to have a child but I can't understand how they wouldn't go through the legal process of adoption."

The suspects were arrested and jailed on federal alien smuggling charges.

As for the vehicle used in the failed smuggling attempt, officers say it was seized along with the Mexican newborn.

Chief Moreno says she was handed over to the Mexican consulate and she's now with the equivalent of Mexican Child Protective Services.

A third suspect, Homero Martinez, who was in the vehicle was handed over to Pharr police on an out-of-state probation violation.

Officers do not believe he was involved with the attempted baby smuggling.