Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Youth unemployment is on the rise

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...s31may31.story

From the LA Times
    May 31, 2005

Teens Struggle to Get Foot in Door

Youth unemployment is on the rise as entry-level jobs go to older workers in a tight market.

By Nicholas Riccardi, Times Staff Writer

Teen unemployment is rising as young job seekers face heightened competition from older workers and immigrants who are taking entry-level positions.

Teenagers also are disadvantaged by a tighter job market in which employers are less willing to hire workers with little or no job experience. Some experts fear that these and other shifts in the job market could persist and hurt future prospects for many youths.

"The work experience that is so necessary to have when you're 17, 18 years old, they're just not getting it," said Paul Harrington, an economist at Northeastern University who just finished a study examining the employment patterns of Los Angeles teenagers.

Last year, 36% of those ages 16 to 19 held some sort of job, be it a paper route or a full-time position in lieu of high school or college. That is down from 45% in 2000 and is the lowest level since 1947.

Granted, some teenagers may opt not to work, choosing instead to study and hit up their parents for pocket money. But a growing percentage of teens who do want to work are having a tougher time finding jobs. Teenage unemployment in Los Angeles was 26.2% in 2004, twice what it was just four years ago. Nationwide, teen unemployment in 2004 hit 16.8%.

Brandi Walker, for instance, has been sending out applications since last August but has yet to find work.

The 16-year-old junior at Jordan High School in Watts needs a job, either for after school or for the summer. She wants to start saving for college, where she hopes to study to become a pediatrician.

"I'm looking for anything right now," she said.

Teenagers always have had difficulty finding work after an economic downturn like the one that followed the dot-com boom, but economists say that although the job market is recovering for adults, it has stagnated for youths.

At stake is more than just a summer paycheck or extra lunch money. First jobs â€â€

!

Notice the article continually says "immigrants" but does not specify whether these "immigrants" are illegal.

Re: !

Quote Originally Posted by good12me
    Notice the article continually says "immigrants" but does not specify whether these "immigrants" are illegal.

Yes, but we know the truth.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Front page! I knew that I had a fairly hard time when I was trying to get jobs. This is what i've always said, how many young men would love to be roofers for the summer,and how many girls would love to wait tables? Lots,obviously.

http://www.alipac.us/article-437--0-0.html

Quote Originally Posted by RedGirl1
    Front page! I knew that I had a fairly hard time when I was trying to get jobs. This is what i've always said, how many young men would love to be roofers for the summer,and how many girls would love to wait tables? Lots,obviously.

http://www.alipac.us/article-437--0-0.html

These days it might be the reverse. Guys wanting to wait talbes and ladies working on the roofs.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)