Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Video-Immigration speaker sparks protest march-Simcox

Immigration speaker sparks protest marchSunday, May 18, 2008 | 10:57
    PMStory Media Top Stories

By Sarah SchulteA protest march took place Sunday over a controversial speaker expected to go DePaul University. The guest heads up a group fighting illegal immigration.

The protest effort began on a corner in the Little Village neighborhood with an outdoor mass during which immigration activists pray for immigrants' rights. Next, participants began a long walk for solidarity from the South Side of Chicago to the city's North Side.

"As people of faith, we will walk in peace and bring a message of peace and love, and let them see that there is only one agenda that our families have, and that is to keep families together," said immigration activist Julie Santos.

The marchers' destination was DePaul University, which is where the student organization called Conservative Alliance is hosting a man named Chris Simcox Monday night. Simcox is the co-founder of the Minutemen Civil Defense Corp., a group that actively tries to stop immigrants from crossing the U.S.-Mexican border illegally.

"For them to invite [him] on campus where an exchange of ideas welcome, it's not exchanging ideas. It's motivating people to go out there and commit hate, and that is what we are upset about," said Enrique Morones of an organization called Border Angels.

Immigrant activists led by Rev. Jose Landaverde describe the Minutemen patrols as racists, border vigilantes, a description that offends the Minutemen Illinois Dir. Rosanna Pulido.

"Here we have a religious leader teaching other people who are illegal how to stop the free speech of an American citizen, and that offends me greatly," Pulido said.
    Pulido says her organization is not against immigrants, just people who break the law to come to the U.S.

Sunday's marchers say the issue is all about reuniting families and economic opportunities. Many say they believe it is unfair that the Latino community takes most the heat for the immigration debate.

"Today, there is no way for people to come here with documents who are poor, and that's inhumane. Of the 12 million people who are here illegally, half of them are not from Latin America," Morones said.
    The marchers said they planned to hold a 24-hour prayer vigil once they arrived at DePaul.

(Copyright ©2008 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

15 comments
    Post A Comment 1 nwkerr2005 5/18/08 11:21 PM EDT

A group that stops criminal behavior is not "hate". But the Democrats and liberals classify anything against their views as "hate" or "intolerance". Mark As Violation

2 tac434 5/18/08 11:36 PM EDT

As a US citizen and a wife of a LEGAL immigrant, I find these rallies highly offensive and a slap in the face! I am offended when people that break the law of this country DEMAND rights. We are not wealthy. We had to sacrifice a great deal to make sure my husband and I did it the legal way. This is not an "immigration issue" as the organizers would like you to believe. This is a rally for ILLEGAL ALIENS demanding rights when they have already broken the law. Mark As Violation

3 jlmaly 5/19/08 7:22 AM EDT

I am an American woman of European decent. My family's roots go back on one side to the Revolutionary War. Over 30 years ago I married an illegal Mexican who is now a citizen. We were married for 20 years and he is now a citizen. I taught our children Spanish as their first language as a rich part of their heritage (I'd seen examples where the English came almost by osmosis as children started school, etc.). I am stating this because I want it to be clear that I am not speaking from a prejudicial point of view. Yet I... Mark As Violation

View All Comments 4-15
    Collapse Comments
    4 jlmaly 5/19/08 7:29 AM EDT

am totally against any special consideration or benefits for illegal aliens. They have BROKEN THE LAW and should expect whatever consequences our laws dictate. That they would actually march in protest of someone speaking up for respect and enforcement of our nation's laws is ludicrous. Maybe the immigration officials should start rounding up these protesters to check their documentation just as they do at workplaces across the country. I know many of them may have heart-wrenching stories but they should have consid... Mark As Violation

5 jlmaly 5/19/08 7:30 AM EDT

ered the consequences before making the decision to come here outside of legal parameters. Mark As Violation

6 XDRJ85X 5/19/08 8:56 AM EDT

GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT. ALL HISPANICS PLEASE RETURN TO MEXICO AND WATCH THIS COUNTRY COLLAPSE. WE NEED THESE PEOPLE LIKE FISH NEED WATER. Mark As Violation

7 DianeC150 5/19/08 9:47 AM EDT

Hahahahah
    What a crock!

The United States was made a great country by the citizens!
    No illegal immigration every again!
    GO HOME AND STAY THERE! Mark As Violation

8 DianeC150 5/19/08 9:49 AM EDT

ICE should round up every illegal in the country!
    Mexico in my opinion wants power here! Mark As Violation

9 DianeC150 5/19/08 9:59 AM EDT

Go Minutemen & Woman!!!! Mark As Violation

10 rfzelske 5/19/08 12:36 PM EDT

What message are the illegal aliens and their supporters giving to the young people?
    Breaking the law is ok if it is good for you?
    Why should any laws be enforced? Mark As Violation

Top Of PagePost A Comment
    11 tac434 5/19/08 12:56 PM EDT

I find it amusing that they want to be part of America, yet all their signs are in Spanish. That is a great way to win people over to your side of the debate. It is absolutely insane. Mark As Violation

12 Kwendhack 5/19/08 1:29 PM EDT

Why do we have to cater to the ILLEGAL immigrants??? I find these rallies very offensive. If they like American so much then come over and do the right thing-become a citizenand learn ENGLISH. Then they should go to Iraq to serve our country..... Mark As Violation

13 bnt814 5/19/08 1:49 PM EDT

My parents were born in Lithuania and they came here LEGALLY! My grandparents had to have a sponsor and vow not to be a burden on the government. They received no assistance of ANY KIND and they LEARNED THE LANGUAGE AND USED IT IN PUBLIC! Also my grandparents had to promise that when my dad turned 18 that he would serve in some branch of the military - and he was only 8 when they came here. We need borders built and better laws to deport the illegals. Get this straight our national language is ENGLISH and the onl... Mark As Violation

14 kbechle 5/19/08 4:32 PM EDT

Opposition to massive immigration and amnesty is based on rational economic concerns not ‘hate’. Labor excesses drive down wages. The fact that proponents of open borders have to resort to smear terms like “nativistâ€

Isn’t this just like sanctuary city Chicago? All kinds of press coverage telling the illegal aliens story. They get the positive and or “human interestâ€
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

"Today, there is no way for people to come here with documents who are poor, and that's inhumane. Of the 12 million people who are here illegally, half of them are not from Latin America," Morones said.
    BULL!!!! If they can afford to pay a coyote $3000 or more, they're NOT too poor to afford to emigrate legally. If you are not invited somewhere, it's NOT OK to attend/invade, capisce?

"For them to invite [him] on campus where an exchange of ideas welcome, it's not exchanging ideas. It's motivating people to go out there and commit hate, and that is what we are upset about," said Enrique Morones of an organization called Border Angels.
    No no Moron, YOU are the ones who are spreading the hate message and trying to suppress Americans free speech. You're not interested in exchanging ideas, you want to SHOVE your ideas down our throats. Well bub, how's that going for you?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

It's motivating people to go out there and commit hate, and that is what we are upset about," said Enrique Morones of an organization called Border Angels.
    The flaming brown pride one speaks and is so guilty of his own accusations.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)