Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Call Russell Feingold (WI)

I wrote Mr. Feingold about the Dream Act, and about how I wanted it debated on it's own merits. Here is the response:

Dear Mr. Derks,

Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 774, the Development,
    Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act. I
    appreciate hearing from you.

I am a strong supporter of the DREAM Act, which was introduced
    by Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL) and Senator Chuck Hagel (R-
    NE) on March 6, 2007, and referred to the Senate Judiciary
    Committee. The Act would allow undocumented children to earn
    legal status through college attendance or military service. Under
    the Act, those who entered the United States before they were 16
    years old, have lived here continuously for at least five years, have
    demonstrated good moral character, and have either earned a high
    school degree or gained acceptance to college would be eligible for
    a six-year conditional residence. If, during the six-year period,
    these individuals received an associate's degree, completed at least
    two years towards a 4-year degree, or served two years in the U.S.
    military, they could become legal permanent residents with the
    opportunity to apply for citizenship. The DREAM Act also would
    help to ensure that these children can afford a college education by
    making them eligible for federal assistance.

We should enforce the laws against illegal immigration, but we
    should not penalize children for actions over which they had no
    control. I support the DREAM Act because it recognizes the
    reality that many undocumented immigrant children, who played
    no part in the decision to enter the United States illegally, grow up
    to become honest and hardworking young adults who are loyal to
    our nation and have much to contribute to the future of this
    country.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your views with me.
    I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Russell D. Feingold
    United States Senator

I don't agree with parts of the act, but at the very least let him know that it should stand or fall on it's own. Make sure he knows that we want to see action on illegal immigration, not just talk.
    Jesse --- Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood, paid in advance.

illegal aliens and the Dream Act

Why should we give an award or any benefit for children of illegal aliens? By giving their children student loans that sends a message that those coming here illegally can expect our country to give their children a college education. Can we as American citizens go to another country and get any benefits for our children? When American students need student loans, American parents have to co-sign these loans and their income is taken into consideration for any grants or loans. So in the Dream Act are we suppose to ignore that these parents are here illegally and earning money with SSN numbers they bought from organized crime? What SSN number is being put down in the application process for these student loans? YOUR SSN? Many American children have to pay for the crimes of their parents. Should we then allow children of criminals in prison to be allowed grants or student loans just based on the fact that their parents commited felonies and don't have any income because they are in prison? Sorry but as hard working American parents, our children did not get any special consideration in applying for student loans or grants. In fact, my husband is their step-father and he is disabled. His SSDI had to be used in determining their ability to get loans and grants. He is not even their biological father. Many of the illegal alien mothers get State benefits when they come to this country and are expecting. Social services can't even investgate if the illegal father or other family members are even living with her. So I can see that when students of illegal aliens are applying for their student loans and grants, their illegal parents could have household income that is more than what they are stating. So the parents get a geat deal for their children they brought here illegally. Think about it. Senator Feingold has received a 100% gold star rating with La Raza. We have been trying to get some help from him because 2 male illegal Hispanics have been working and getting credit with his SSN for over 10 years. Senator Feingold tells us that our governmental data system is too full of errors and millions of American and legal residents could lose their jobs if e-verify was allowed to be used or mantory for employers. I know that all legal residents and American citizens can go to the SSA office and correct any errors and validate their SSN. So do you think he is really talking about all those illegal aliens using OUR SSN numbers to work?