Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Did you Boycott Cinco De Mayo or Mexican Prods?

http://uncooperativeblogger.com/

Current Poll
    Are you going, or did you, Boycott Cinco De Mayo and Mexican products?

Yes: 61% (44)
    No: 39% (28 )
    Total Votes 72
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I went to the grocery store Friday afternoon. I started laughing when I saw all the Mexican food items on SALE! you know, the taco kits, picante sauce, etc. EVERYTHING was 'on sale'
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

It's not difficult for me to since I don't care for it anyway. (food wise) But I do make it a point to check clothing labels etc.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Voted. 87 votes so far. but the tally doesn't add up because it says 50 yes and 29 no.

http://uncooperativeblogger.com/

Curious: About this flag they want people to fly. Why that particular one? Historically, I don't see anything about illegal immigration associated with it.

I think it is a great idea as a show of solidarity.

But where were these flags made? I can't seem to obtain that information on the site selling them. I wrote to ask but I imagine an answer will take days to arrive.

I'll buy several if they are made in the USA, though.

I actually thought of getting that flag ... it was used during the American revolution. I followed the links on the page

Benjamin Franklin diverts an idle hour

In December 1775, "An American Guesser" anonymously wrote to the Pennsylvania Journal:

"I observed on one of the drums belonging to the marines now raising, there was painted a Rattle-Snake, with this modest motto under it, 'Don't tread on me.' As I know it is the custom to have some device on the arms of every country, I supposed this may have been intended for the arms of America."

This anonymous writer, having "nothing to do with public affairs" and "in order to divert an idle hour," speculated on why a snake might be chosen as a symbol for America.

First, it occurred to him that "the Rattle-Snake is found in no other quarter of the world besides America."

The rattlesnake also has sharp eyes, and "may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance." Furthermore,

"She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage. ... she never wounds 'till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her."

Finally,

"I confess I was wholly at a loss what to make of the rattles, 'till I went back and counted them and found them just thirteen, exactly the number of the Colonies united in America; and I recollected too that this was the only part of the Snake which increased in numbers. ...

"'Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together, so as never to be separated but by breaking them to pieces. One of those rattles singly, is incapable of producing sound, but the ringing of thirteen together, is sufficient to alarm the boldest man living."

Many scholars now agree that this "American Guesser" was Benjamin Franklin.

Franklin, of course, is also known for opposing the use of an eagle -- "a bird of bad moral character" -- as a national symbol.

American independence

The snake symbol came in handy ten years later, when Americans were again uniting against a common enemy.

In 1765 the common enemy was the Stamp Act. The British decided that they needed more control over the colonies, and more importantly, they needed more money from the colonies. The Crown was loaded with debt from the French and Indian War.

Why shouldn't the Americans -- "children planted by our care, nourished by our indulgence," as Charles Townshend of the House of Commons put it -- pay off England's debt?

Colonel Isaac Barre, who had fought in the French and Indian War, responded that the colonies hadn't been planted by the care of the British government, they'd been established by people fleeing it. And the British government hadn't nourished the colonies, they'd flourished despite what the British government did and didn't do.

In this speech, Barre referred to the colonists as "sons of liberty."

In the following months and years, as we know, the Sons of Liberty became increasingly resentful of English interference. And as the tides of American public opinion moved closer and closer to rebellion, Franklin's disjointed snake continued to be used as symbol of American unity, and American independence. For example, in 1774 Paul Revere added it to the masthead of The Massachusetts Spy and showed the snake fighting a British dragon.

http://www.foundingfathers.info/stories/gadsden.html
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

I found out-- 95% of the flags are made in the USA.

And I read the history of that flag but I don't see any connection to illegal aliens so I'm just curious why they picked that one as the symbol. Why not make a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by JuniusJnr
    I found out-- 95% of the flags are made in the USA.

And I read the history of that flag but I don't see any connection to illegal aliens so I'm just curious why they picked that one as the symbol. Why not make a new one?
    I think it's because of what it says and symbolizies -- "don't tread on me" -- which is exactly what the illegals and the federal government are doing, and also the rattle snake strikes back -- which is exactly what we're doing

Banned
    and also the rattle snake strikes back -- which is exactly what we're doing
    Only AFTER giving FAIR warning, just like a rattlesnake.

I thought about it too. Min order is like $10 and the nylon flag cost about $3. $6 shipping. So $16.00 to get a flag and a few other things....

Short Story, Ben Franklin aka An American Guesser made the first known US political cartoon. Unite or die and it was a snake all cut up and it represented the 13 colonies.

It's generally accepted that Hopkins' flag was presented to him by Christopher Gadsden, who felt it was especially important for the commodore to have a distinctive personal standard.
    Gadsdens' Personal Standard.

Later the Gadsden Flag was used first makeshif Navy commodor Esek Hopkins.

Later the Gadsden flag was modified into the US Navy Jack.

Basically, Ben Franklin said the Rattle Snake(only found in America) was a Bad Mother. Therefore the snake became a symbol of bravery and conquest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Basically, Ben Franklin said the Rattle Snake(only found in America) was a Bad Mother. Therefore the snake became a symbol of bravery and
    even a dead rattle snake can kill you if you get stuck by it's fangs -- this was told to me by doctor when we were talking about poisonous snakes years ago.

LESSON TO CONGRESS and the PRESIDENT: just because YOU think we have rolled over and are dead because we aren't protesting in the street in mass numbers, does not mean we aren't dangerous -- we're just "playing dead"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast