Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

State income tax refunds 4 undocumented workers can be held.

I read about the state of Missouri & Kansas withholding tax refunds of undocumented workers and inquired of the Ohio Dept. of Taxation. Here's most of the reply -

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Two important developments within the recent years have spurred the undocumented workers to file: (1) the IRS has authorized certain tax preparers to act as "acceptable agents" to help the IRS issue ITINs; (2) the refundable Additional Child Credit of $2,000 can be based on children living in Mexico, the United States or Canada. With these two developments, a worker who would otherwise have a very small refund or balance due on minimal wages is often entitled to a $2,000, or more refund. Certain preparers help undocumented workers obtain ITINs under questionable circumstances, and then file returns which show the undocumented workers' real names and ITINs, but are accompanied by W-2s which show the names and SSNs that the workers used when applying for jobs. Obviously, the tax preparers are highly motivated by getting a significant share of the refundable Additional Child Credit.

The State of Ohio has a similar policy ( as Missouri & Kansas) regarding discrepencies between ITINs and W-2s forms. When an Ohio return is received which has an ITIN accompanied by a W-2 which has a different name and social security number, the Department of Taxation sends a letter to the taxpayer asking for verification of the taxpayers's identity by submitting a corrected W-2 issued by the employer showing the correct name and udentifying number. The taxpayer, especially if they are an undocumented worker, cannot supply this information so the refund is withheld.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I added the bold type.

So I wonder, if the State of Ohio follows up with the employer, regarding any of these discrepencies ? I doubt it. I think I will inquire as to their responsibility to notify the employers.

Let's us count the ways we are being defrauded and conned by illegals. They can make more from fraud than they can from working. There was a case of a woman receiving 5 different govt. checks under different names. Oftentimes they come from different states and localities. It's quite easy using fake documents and no one checking.

Well, since they can include kids from outside the country, you KNOW there is fraud. I have no doubt, as crooked as they are, that there is a lot of lying going on about the number of kids. Anything to steal more money from taxpayers.

"acceptable agents"
    ...just what the hell is an acceptable agent?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ABOUT ITINS
    http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/ ... .html#what
    What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-XXXX.
    IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
    ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.
    Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

What is an ITIN used for?
    ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.
    IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.

Who needs an ITIN?
    IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for an SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.
    Examples of individuals who need ITINs include:

Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN
    U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN
    Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
    Dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder
    How do I know if I need an ITIN?
    If you do not have an SSN and are not eligible to obtain an SSN, but you have a requirement to furnish a federal tax identification number or file a federal income tax return, you must apply for an ITIN. By law, an alien individual cannot have both an ITIN and an SSN.
    IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing "SSA205c," "applied for," "NRA," blanks, etc.

Are ITINs valid for identification?
    No. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system. Since ITINs are strictly for tax processing, IRS does not apply the same standards as agencies that provide genuine identity certification.
    ITIN applicants are not required to apply in person, and IRS does not further validate the authenticity of identity documents. ITINs do not prove identity outside the tax system, and should not be offered or accepted as identification for non-tax purposes.

Are ITINs valid for work purposes?
    No. ITINs are for federal income tax purposes only.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    "acceptable agents"
    ...just what the hell is an acceptable agent?
    Companies like H & R Block, that help you do your taxes. The bigger the return, the more they make.

Help needed from Ohio registered voters. I've made some post cards protesting the state's poor audit, regarding our tax money going to ineligible aliens. They're addressed to the Gov. Ted Strickland.

If any Ohio voters wants one, I'll mail it to you with a stamp. Just add your return address label, sign it and mail it.

Send me yr address via this web site's private messages and I'll get one to you. Your help with this protest would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be in KY the rest of the week, so it will take me at least that long to reply.